Disney Pixar Discussion

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » March 9th, 2007, 9:50 am

What you're not understanding is that PIXAR and DISNEY are NOT in competition! There are no interest for Lasseter to see a Disney movie bombing! And seeing the works done on Frog Princess, i'm just enthusiast for the future of Disney Feature, THAT is the right direction to go...

Just quit it!
[url=http://www.pixar-room.com][img]http://pixarroom.free.fr/PIXAR%20PICS/mai2007/R.jpg[/img][/url]
http://www.inbedwithkinoo.canalblog.com

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 9th, 2007, 11:02 am

Just quit it!
Calm down Kinoo.....it's just my (humble) opinion. :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » March 9th, 2007, 11:10 am

Besides, whats life without a good debate once in a while :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 9th, 2007, 3:59 pm

Yeah! I mean, even though I don't agree with everyone on here and stuff, it's more interesting here than, say, Pixar Planet, where everybody is pretty much agreeing with each other all the time. I need variation! :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 10th, 2007, 9:36 am

Yes, I don't mean to upset anyone or anything. I'm just commenting based on what we've been hearing.

In my opinion, I don't see how Pixar could NOT be in competition with the Diz, due to the fact that John Lassetter was adament about keeping Pixar's name, culture, logo, productions, and studio all separate from Disney's...despite the fact that it's called a "merger." :roll:

The fact that he is very much concerned about preserving Pixar's identity despite the fact that techincially they're "joined" :? with Disney is the key. In other words, he cares about Pixar and wants to see them succeed more than anything, then, maybe, he wants to see Disney's films succeed.

Pixar's style emerged at the same time CGI did. Pixar's stories, themes, and character types have basically become the "gold standard" that others are judged by. The only problem is that many have forgotten that there's other, just as vital, ways of telling stories. The year before Toy Story came out, The Lion King was a tremendous juggernaut whose impact STILL hasn't completely wained. It had some pretty scary stuff. Hip references. Deep themes of murder and revenge and trauma. The kind of material which has almost never been and most likely never will be shown in a Pixar film, since the whole "catering to adults/adult themes/adult references" thing is anathema to the Pixar culture. I'm not trying to put them down for it; they've said it themselves.

That is why, in my as well as others' opinions, John fears Disney going back to its former glory. How could he not?

I know it's very sad and hard to accept, but I really believe it's so.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 10th, 2007, 11:08 am

Wait... "<I>The Diz</I>"...? :shock:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 10th, 2007, 11:10 am

I just meant, "Disney." :wink:

(just my dumb abbreviation :oops:)

Once again, hope I didn't p*** off too many people....:wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 10th, 2007, 11:38 am

Well, I was kinda joking... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » March 10th, 2007, 3:03 pm

That's waht YOU think so don't take it as a FACT please! I personnaly find your arguement totally ridiculous. Lasseter always care for Disney Animation and History (just take a look at his respect to the Aniamtors and Disney movies, his favorite feature of all time is Dumbo). It is so lame to take suck strong judgement about somebody basing your argument on not even facts on the internet. Anyway, can't wait for the future of Disney and Pixar now that LAsseter and Catmul are in charge.. Can't tell the same with other studios except Ghibli for the moment, they're still serving the same crappy 3D comedy to death...
[url=http://www.pixar-room.com][img]http://pixarroom.free.fr/PIXAR%20PICS/mai2007/R.jpg[/img][/url]
http://www.inbedwithkinoo.canalblog.com

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » March 10th, 2007, 5:08 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Yes, I don't mean to upset anyone or anything. I'm just commenting based on what we've been hearing.

In my opinion, I don't see how Pixar could NOT be in competition with the Diz, due to the fact that John Lassetter was adament about keeping Pixar's name, culture, logo, productions, and studio all separate from Disney's...despite the fact that it's called a "merger." :roll:

The fact that he is very much concerned about preserving Pixar's identity despite the fact that techincially they're "joined" :? with Disney is the key. In other words, he cares about Pixar and wants to see them succeed more than anything, then, maybe, he wants to see Disney's films succeed.

Pixar's style emerged at the same time CGI did. Pixar's stories, themes, and character types have basically become the "gold standard" that others are judged by. The only problem is that many have forgotten that there's other, just as vital, ways of telling stories. The year before Toy Story came out, The Lion King was a tremendous juggernaut whose impact STILL hasn't completely wained. It had some pretty scary stuff. Hip references. Deep themes of murder and revenge and trauma. The kind of material which has almost never been and most likely never will be shown in a Pixar film, since the whole "catering to adults/adult themes/adult references" thing is anathema to the Pixar culture. I'm not trying to put them down for it; they've said it themselves.

That is why, in my as well as others' opinions, John fears Disney going back to its former glory. How could he not?

I know it's very sad and hard to accept, but I really believe it's so.
you have GOT to be kidding. If John Lasseter fears Disney returning to former glory then why would he be up 24/7 managing two studios to make sure they produce nothing but the best? Why would he have this hidden agenda? Give me one logical explanation other than him fearing for Pixar will be overshadowed by Disney. Wich makes no sense, because there is a clear difference between a Disney and a Pixar film. Seriously, one reason why he would fear this? He took the job right? He's leading the division, bringing back 2d. Doesn't sounds like anyone has anything to fear or lose here.

And maintaining Pixar's culture is nothing but logic. Why fix something that's not broken? It's Disney that is broken here and needs fixing. And he's doing that. God, give him some space. It's like there's always somethign to bitch about.

sorry if I sound pissed off.... because that's what I am :twisted:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 10th, 2007, 10:57 pm

Ummm.....OK....:wink: :roll: :? 8)

I have reasons for thinking what I do, true based on conjecture mixed what I read (as does anyone) but if it upsets you guys THAT much, I"ll try to limit what I say about it.

True of course we don't know what Lassetter is thinking...no one does but John Lassetter. :wink:

But like you said there's the Internet, and articles etc....that's the ONLY place where, barring you work at Pixar/Disney, you would have any info on this situation.

So...being that this is an animation internet forum, I'm commenting based on what I read. I have an opinion, which might be different from your opinion....like Zwollie said and Meg said, it's good to debate once in a while

Don't mean no harm like I said....

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » March 11th, 2007, 8:07 am

lol, please don't hold back. We should all be able to voice our opinion.

I just really disagreed :P :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 11th, 2007, 11:13 am

I have reasons for thinking what I do, true based on conjecture mixed what I read (as does anyone) but if it upsets you guys THAT much, I"ll try to limit what I say about it.
Nuuu, don't do that! You keep things interesting around here. :wink: :P

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 11th, 2007, 1:22 pm

Ben wrote:If Walt were alive (or to be more realistic, died in the 1990s), Walt Disney Productions would have been making animated films using CGI in the 1980s.

I truly, truly believe that.
Thank you for saying that outloud. :)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 11th, 2007, 4:42 pm

Nuuu, don't do that! You keep things interesting around here. Wink Razz
Thanks Meg. :wink: :)

lol, please don't hold back. We should all be able to voice our opinion.

I just really disagreed Razz Wink

OK, gotcha. I enjoy discussing things too, that's what makes it fun.

:)