The lost serials thread...

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Batman's serials

Post by GeorgeC » March 9th, 2005, 1:00 am

There's been a thread going around various forums about a website that takes old comic book covers and panels from various comics to portray characters in a less-than-endearing or a ridiculous light.

You've probably heard of the Superman's a dick thread, now get ready for Batman's Boner!

http://www.superdickery.com/oneshot/6.html

And I thought the Superman thread was hilarious enough... :lol:

Amazing how the meanings of words change over time.
And we only get more dirty-minded the older we get! :oops: :twisted:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 9th, 2005, 9:13 am

That's funny stuff.

Had a look through the frames. "And that's terrible". LOL! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 9th, 2005, 9:51 pm

First I thought they were fake or something....(like Cartoon Planet)

Then I realized they were REAL.

Some of them are just....plain disturbing! :lol:

"Boner" (pardon my language :oops: ) was actually a word back then?? What did it mean???? :shock:

"Robin...what have I done to you?" I'm sorry but that was the funniest one of all! :lol:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » March 9th, 2005, 11:17 pm

these superman is a dick comics are effing hilarious.
one of my favorites is the one where Lois has TO BECOME BLACK FOR 24 HOURS

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 10th, 2005, 12:24 am

ShyViolet wrote: "Boner" (pardon my language :oops: ) was actually a word back then?? What did it mean???? :shock:
A "boner" is a stupid mistake or ill-advised action. I didn't even realize that not everyone had heard of it in that context before. There was also a "Boner" character on the 1980s show Growing Pains--- a friend of Kirk Cameron's character. So, the word is not really as "naughty" as some people may think.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 10th, 2005, 1:49 am

RandCanuck wrote:
ShyViolet wrote: "Boner" (pardon my language :oops: ) was actually a word back then?? What did it mean???? :shock:
A "boner" is a stupid mistake or ill-advised action. I didn't even realize that not everyone had heard of it in that context before. There was also a "Boner" character on the 1980s show Growing Pains--- a friend of Kirk Cameron's character. So, the word is not really as "naughty" as some people may think.

Er... That's really not the point.

Words change their meanings over time. Yes, we have to remember the context in which they're used, BUT they still change meaning. Even if you're 90 years old, you have to be aware of the fact that words may not mean the same thing they did 30 years ago.

"Boner" may have been used to mean "mistake" in the past, but its common everyday connotation nowadays is for a "male sexual reaction." :oops:

Yes, most of us are dirty-minded... :twisted:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 10th, 2005, 12:08 pm

Where can you find the Superman thread?

Never mind--I found it. It's really funny.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

GeorgeC

Now on to NEW Comic Book Parodies!

Post by GeorgeC » March 20th, 2005, 2:23 am

This might or might not be as good as the "Batman's Boner" link -- depending on your knowledge of comic books --, but I thought it'd be worth posting something lighter --

http://www.capvsbats.com/index.htm

The spoofs hit so true... Especially the Marvel stuff. It's pretty much what I hate about Marvel now. Marvel editorial and its staff of Hollywood-wannabes are ruining the Universe I used to love.

Still love the characters, but hate the way the books are being written now. :cry:

But some of spoofs at the link above are classic! :lol: :twisted:

GeorgeC

Batman and Robin (1949) serial out on video Tuesday 22 Mar05

Post by GeorgeC » March 21st, 2005, 11:48 pm

The second Batman serial is out on DVD tomorrow... It's a 2-disc set collecting the entire serial.

Too bad the original Batman serial is still in limbo due to political correctness.

We will probably see the original Superman serial released next year around the time of the new movie. There's already word that Superman: TAS Volume 3 gets released around the time of the new Superman movie.

Superman TAS Volume 2 supposedly is pencilled in for Christmas this year.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » March 21st, 2005, 11:56 pm

I've got this ordered. I do have it on tape already, but will appreciate having it on DVD. Certainly, it's not up there with the all-time great serials, but it is great fun. I think I actually find it more watchable in some ways than the Superman serials, where Kirk Alyn always looked painfully clueless.

The first Batman serial, though, is a real hoot. I watched it with a group of friends years ago, and we had a blast cheering for the villains to kill Robin, who was forever getting Batman into trouble. Also, in his civilian identity, Robin looked just like Bud Bundy dressed as a gangster! Hilarious!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 22nd, 2005, 4:26 am

Everybody knows that the perceived campiness of these Batman serials was what convinced William Dozier to do the 1960s live-action Adam West Batman in the first place, right? :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 22nd, 2005, 6:05 pm

I used a chapter of this one - "The Living Corpse" - for a school project in the 1980s where we had to re-dub archive footage and change the intended story into something else (and usually insane)!

Had the entire series on tape (off air) but will be glad to sit and see these again (though will miss my "altenate audio track" on that episode)!

Looking forward to if they bring out the firstone, and especially Superman: not only do I love the character and mythology, but I've never seen more than one of the Alyn episodes and would love to see the entire series (yeah, I know they're not the best, but this is from someone who had all the George Reeves shows - including the hilarious "feature" Mole Men - at one point too)!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 25th, 2005, 1:37 am

The Adventures of Captain Marvel serial (1940) DVD was MUCH cheaper to buy than this DVD. Marvel was $10.99 when I picked it up at Best Buy.

The best price I've seen so far for the Batman and Robin serial DVD has been $22.99 at Best Buy. The MSRP is $29.99...

This is NOT a cheap 2-disc set. Pity.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 29th, 2005, 9:57 pm

I liked the Wolverine one.

GeorgeC

More unintentionally funny comic book covers!

Post by GeorgeC » April 12th, 2005, 1:16 am

A new link to a website featuring comic book covers that are unintentionally sexually suggestive!

http://maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=uscc_part1

The first one about the astronaut is great...

The Rifleman cover is definitely the funniest!

(Especially when you consider the little tidbit that Rifleman star Chuck Conners was gay!)