Popeye the Sailor Man

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 4th, 2007, 6:47 pm

:lol:

I wonder if one of the discs will include the Popeye PSA's from the 80's? :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 4th, 2007, 6:51 pm

Doubt it, unless they get that far with the collection.

I'll be stopping with the Fleischers, and maybe one set of early Famous as a sampler, but there have been many releases of PD Famous cartoons and they're really not that good.

The Fleischers really captured Segar's world...the later Famous shorts made Popeye an below-average cartoon character.

And, while I initially grew up with the Hanna Barbera shows of the early 1980s (before good taste and my thirst for quality stuff led me to the black and white originals), that show was pretty all over the place on reflection. Some nice attempts at throwbacks, but they never quite pulled things off.

And...am I one of the only fans of the 1980 movie?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 4th, 2007, 7:03 pm

And...am I one of the only fans of the 1980 movie?

I saw that film years ago (with Robin Williams and Shelley Duvall right?) :D
I don't remember a whole lot, but every time it comes on HBO, it does make me smile....:wink:
Doubt it, unless they get that far with the collection.

I guess that pretty much lets out that 80s show, "Popeye and Son", then? *Shudders* :twisted: :roll: :wink:

J/K :P

Oh, so Famous did the color ones and Fleischer the old ones? I never knew that...interesting! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » April 4th, 2007, 8:18 pm

I like the Robert Altman Popeye movie. :)

It liberally blends elements of the comic strip and the animated shorts, which is why it 'confused' a great many people; Castor Oyl, Geezil, and Roughhouse were never in the Fleischer shorts, for example .. and Bluto/Brutus was not a recurring character in the newspaper strip (at least, not while E.C. Segar was alive). It also chose to utilize the Jeep's ability to predict the outcomes of gambling ventures .. but gave Swee'pea that power, instead.

Still, the film got much more 'right' than it got 'wrong', IMO; and Shelley Duvall's and Robin Williams' performances alone make the film more than worth watching. The town 'set' of Sweethaven is one of my favorite film environments; part coastal New England, part 'storybook fantasy' village.

The 'songs' are horrible, though.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 4th, 2007, 11:22 pm

Altman's Popeye is surely underappreciated. All of Droosan's points are correct, and as a fan of both the strip and cartoons, I think it blends things nicely. It's a little slow at times, but certainly follows its own vision. The songs are a bit weak, I agree. Aside: I still can't believe my ears when I hear Shelley sing "He's large!"

Re: the B&W and color Popeye's... All Felischer shorts were in B&W except of course for the three two-reelers. The Famous ones were all in color except for the first 2 or 3, IIRC.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 5th, 2007, 12:19 am

Love the thread title, George!

And yes, I'm so glad we have a date and cover art! I love Popeye, so I'm definetly gonna be getting this!

Now I can finally stop being temtped by those awful single DVD's, that have unrestored Popeye cartoons. Yay! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 5th, 2007, 8:36 am

Guess I'm the only one who doesn't mind the <I>songs</I> in the 1980 movie too, and I am the proud owner of an original Broadway Records vinyl pressing of them!

The blend of the movie is great...I always felt it went back to the strips more, but had elements of the known cartoons. Seeing the rest of Olive's family always cracks me up, and anyone has to admit it was a grand experiment, without the routine Popeye bust ups cropping up every 20-30 minutes throughout the movie, like most comic/superhero movies.

Trust Altman to make such an off the way character the basis of a moving human drama! And the spinach doesn't come right until the end!

What would have happened if it had been a hit? Possibilites are endless, but a trip to Goon Island would have been a sequel set piece for sure!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 3rd, 2007, 1:07 am

I heard that some execs,when Popeye (1980) was being made, were worried that his always having one eye closed was unappealing and asked: "Can you open his other eye?"

:roll:

Also, I'm really curious about a lot of this copyright stuff. How come it took so long for Popeye the cartoon to get a proper release?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 3rd, 2007, 1:47 am

I have a long interview archived that I'm thinking about posting at Animated Views that answers that question. Stay tooned!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 4th, 2007, 9:38 am

<I>THINKING</I>?

I <I>demand</I> we see that timed to the release of this set! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 4th, 2007, 11:55 pm

Okey dokey. Ben has spoken. The interview will be posted in a couple of months. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 5th, 2007, 2:16 am

:lol:

I can hardly wait!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 5th, 2007, 10:58 am

Actually, good time to pull my live-action 1980 movie review outta mothballs as well.

Looks like we'll celebrate Popeye's long overdue release to disc in style!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 7th, 2007, 2:40 pm

Here's the official list of extras, via TV Shows on DVD:
Popeye - Official List of Extras for Popeye the Sailor - Volume 1: 1933-1938
More Supplements Than You Can Stuff in a Can of Spinach!

Posted by David Lambert

5/07/2007

Last month's announcement for the July 31st release of Popeye the Sailor - Volume 1: 1933-1938 had some basic info about the contents and extras on the set, but last week's press release gives all the official details. Here's that portion of the press release for you:

Popeye The Sailor 1933-1938 Volume 1 includes more than nine hours of cartoons -- 58 (7- to10-minute) theatrical black-and white-shorts and two two-reeler 20-minute color cartoons. Some of the most memorable shorts from the DVD are the remastered "Blow Me Down!" and a cameo appearance by Betty Boop dressed as a hula dancer in the 1933 "Popeye the Sailor" cartoon, the short in which Popeye made his first animated appearance. The four-Disc DVD set also includes the Academy Award-nominated "Popeye The Sailor Meets Sindbad the Sailor" and more than five hours of incredible bonus features, including:

Popeye Commentaries - Including historians, animators and filmmakers
"Behind the Toons" - These featurettes are in depth looks at select cartoons, characters and creators
"I Yam What I Am: The Story of Popeye the Sailor Man" - All new documentary
"The Evolution of Animation: The History of the Fleischer Studios" - All-new documentary
"Max Fleischer and the New York Style" - All-new documentary
Bonus Popeye Shorts - Including "Let's Sing with Popeye" and "Popular Science"
Bonus Fleischer Cartoons - Including "Poor Cinderella," "Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy" and "Superman"

Link to this page:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7282
That's a lot of goodies! :)

(Edit: something was wrong on my end, but now it looks better.)
Last edited by Daniel on May 8th, 2007, 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » May 7th, 2007, 4:10 pm

Indeed, it is .. but, why is it "hidden content" .. :?: