Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: Diamond Edition

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Snow White the first and fairest of them all!

Post by Deco King » April 17th, 2007, 2:32 pm

I wonder when Snow White will have it's next outing on DVD/Blu-Ray? I hope that the new DVD/Blu-Ray set will look stronger than the fabulous Platinum Edition boxset.

Will they re-release it time for the 75th Anniversary in 2012?

By the way did anyone else buy the FABULOUS Pierre Lambert Blanche Neige follow up to his version of Pinocchio and Mickey Mouse books (published in France only - WHY Hyperion???) - it is SUPERB!!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » April 17th, 2007, 5:21 pm

I have the Platinum DVD and the Masterpiece LD boxed sets of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs; and both transfers look pretty fantastic .. I'm not sure how they could look 'stronger' (at standard def, anyway .. surely a Blu-Ray transfer would have more detail, regardless).

I really wish I had bought Pierre Lambert's Blanche Neige .. I had an opportunity to purchase a copy from Mr. Lambert himself, about six years ago .. but the price, including shipment to the U.S.A., was over US$300 .. and I was convinced (at the time) that an american edition was forthcoming from Hyperion, so I 'passed' on it. Just last year, I found a copy for sale on Amazon.com for US$600 .. and someone actually bought it (didn't take long, either)! :shock: If that's the 'going' price now, I'll have to forget it. :(

I do have the Hyperion editions of Piere Lambert's Mickey Mouse and Pinocchio, though; those are great books. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 17th, 2007, 6:24 pm

I saw all of those in the book store in Paris in October. Had I had the money and a way of getting them home, I would have grabbed them.

Yes, I would imagine Snow White's Blu-Ray debut could well hold out for a 75th Anniv release in 2012.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Hope Disney NEVER does a Snow White sequel....

Post by Deco King » April 17th, 2007, 7:03 pm

Falling to her death the transformed Queen Grimhilde catches a branch and clambers back up to wreak her vengeance on those pesky little men - the dwarfs, and that oh so beautiful Snow White.... please God Disney NEVER goes that route!!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » April 18th, 2007, 4:48 am

This thread inspired me to pull out and thumb through the Snow White "Art of" books which I do have:

Walt Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: An Art in its Making, by Martin Krause & Linda Witkowski .. a wonderful 'scholarly' look at the production art of the film; very much on par with Pierre Lambert's books (though not nearly as thick). This was published by Hyperion in 1994, in cooperation with the Indianapolis Museum of Art. (hmm .. I wonder if this is why Hyperion didn't bother to publish an american edition of Blanche Neige ..?)

Walt Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs & the Making of the Classic Film, by Richard Hollis & Brian Sibley .. a nice 'companion' book to the previous title I mentioned, since it features not only production art, but promotional & merchandising art created for the film, as well. This book was published by Simon+Schuster as part of the 50th anniversary celebration of the film, but was also included as a bonus 'extra' item in the 'Masterpiece Edition' deluxe CAV Laserdisc boxed set (one of the nice 'perks' of LD boxes: you can fit a full-length hardcover book inside them).

Walt Disney's Sketch-Book of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, the first volume in the marvelous "Disney Sketch-Book" series, published by Applewood Books in 1993. There's very little text in this one .. it's mostly construction drawings and model poses for each of the main characters in the film (along with a 'smattering' of layouts and backgrounds). It's still a very handsome book, though!

I'm listening to the Snow White soundtrack as I'm browsing through these, too. It really is "a perfect story," as Walt Disney called it. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » April 18th, 2007, 5:07 am

As for the prospect of a Snow White II .. according to this article on Animation World Network, DisneyToons is out of the 'sequel' business. After The Little Mermaid III, apparently, that's 'it'. (whatever will Daniel do?!) :o

However, this doesn't seem to affect Winnie the Pooh DTV's, nor the Tinkerbell-headlined Fairies 'spin-off' title .. so it seems 'sequel' is a selective term. :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Deco King » April 18th, 2007, 8:10 am

Walt Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs & the Making of the Classic Film, by Richard Hollis & Brian Sibley .. a nice 'companion' book to the previous title I mentioned, since it features not only production art, but promotional & merchandising art created for the film, as well. This book was published by Simon+Schuster as part of the 50th anniversary celebration of the film, but was also included as a bonus 'extra' item in the 'Masterpiece Edition' deluxe CAV Laserdisc boxed set (one of the nice 'perks' of LD boxes: you can fit a full-length hardcover book inside them).

If you look in the back of this book I'm quoted in the acknowledgements (Muir Hewitt) as I'd loaned Brian (Sibley) the Golden Sticker Snow White book and a Movie Mirror 1930's magazines for inclusion in the merchandising section - I'm totally obsessed with this movie it has been a major interest for many years!!

I'm always interested to hear from other Disney/Snow White fans at my email address muirhewitt@hotmail.com

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 18th, 2007, 1:04 pm

Wow, cool.

I have a host of Brian's book and have bumped into him many a time at various signings (not that he'd know me).

Good guy, and I'm a bit of a fan. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 19th, 2007, 2:29 am

droosan wrote:As for the prospect of a Snow White II .. according to this article on Animation World Network, DisneyToons is out of the 'sequel' business. After The Little Mermaid III, apparently, that's 'it'. (whatever will Daniel do?!) :o
Oh my god, that made me laugh out loud so hard!! :lol:

As the old saying goes, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Gustav Tenggren

Post by Deco King » April 19th, 2007, 5:42 am

Speaking of Snow White - I LOVE the Gustav Tenggren illustrations that accompanied the original movie - kind of Disney meets Arthur Rackham - how I wish these were available as large prints. His original poster for Snow White is availble I know

Does anyone else on this forum enjoy Tenggren's work - he also worked on Pinocchio for Disney?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 19th, 2007, 6:58 am

Yes!

Have you read my appraisal of the Disney Paris exhibition on our sister site Animated Views?

http://animated-views.com/2007/disney-paris-exhibition/

You'll see that I'm a Tenggren fan. The closest I've ever come to obtaining a large print of his was a double spread in a magazine on the event of Snow White's 50th Anniversary. Luckily, it was in the middle of the magazine so I pulled the staples apart <I>very</I> carefully and mounted it on black card within a frame. It comes out about A3 size and with the black behind it, the ever so small staple marks are hardly noticable. It's his image of the Dwarfs walking home across the fallen tree branch. Magic.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kirby-chan » June 3rd, 2007, 2:59 pm

I read on Wikipedia that Disney is going to re-release Snow White in 2008, mabey it's for that reason. I really hope it's true though, cause I wasn't able to get it and my VHS just got eaten last night. :cry:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 3rd, 2007, 5:42 pm

For what reason?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 3rd, 2007, 5:54 pm

I really hope it's true though, cause I wasn't able to get it and my VHS just got eaten last night.

I really hope they do too!! :)

Sorry to hear about your VHS. :( Hope you can get the movie again soon.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kirby-chan » June 3rd, 2007, 7:26 pm

Ben wrote:For what reason?
It's probably becuase of the Blu-Ray thing going around, SW was released before all that *shrugs*