The Princess and the Frog

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 4th, 2007, 7:09 am

Maybe they're trying to avoid Africa, seeing as they already have two African-set movies?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by veu » April 20th, 2007, 5:37 pm

Update!!!

http://www.eonline.com/gossip/planetgos ... 95bc4899f1

Anika Noni Rose will voice Maddy, the 19-year-old heroine in the new Disney musical...

Other update

http://www.eonline.com/gossip/planetgos ... 0ee3432d89

Disney has changed the name of the flick from The Frog Princess to "THE PRINCESS AND THE FROG"!!!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 20th, 2007, 5:44 pm

Thanks for the update, veu! :)

Hmm, I think Anika is a good choice for Maddy. Not bad.

I'm conflicted about the title, though. It flowed much better the other way. But on the other hand, the new title doesn't imply that she turns "into" a frog, so maybe its a wise decision.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 21st, 2007, 12:57 am

Oh no. :shock: Please tell me it isn't so!!! :(

"The Princess and the Frog"???

"The Princess and the...." whatever is already cursed. Even if a film is about a princess, it shouldn't say it's about one that directly in the title, not in this boy/male-centered society.....Mermaid, Beauty, and Aladdin all involved princesses (of a sort).....none of them said so in the title.

( Exception: With "The Frog Princess" it's kind of a "play" on other fairy tale titles, even though it's a classic fairy tale in its own right.)

Must be following in the footsteps of these other great titles, (or re-titles) whose films did really well: :?

The Princess and the Cobbler

The Princess and the Goblin

I rest my case. :roll:

But on the other hand, the new title doesn't imply that she turns "into" a frog, so maybe its a wise decision.

I thought that was the story....or am I confused? :?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 21st, 2007, 1:28 am

I thought I edited that part out? :? Just ignore what you quoted, Vi. Sorry.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 21st, 2007, 1:46 am

No prob Dan! :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 21st, 2007, 2:06 am

Maybe they're trying to avoid Africa, seeing as they already have two African-set movies?

True, but like Floyd Norman said, neither of them had any actual African people! :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jake » April 21st, 2007, 3:16 am

I don't think its necessary for a Disney film featuring black people to be set in Africa. :? Disney has moved so far away from their formula and what they are loved for, that I'm glad they are returning to their roots and hitting the music scene hard. New Orleans/Jazz Age sounds like an excellent set-up to me. There will always be controversy; if it had been set in Africa and been the first film to introduce a black princess, people would've complained saying, "Why does it have to be set in Africa? There are black people in other parts of the world!". :roll:

Good news for me today - for one, had Jennifer Hudson been cast as the voice of this character, I would've been extremely disappointed. She has a powerful voice, but it lacks the purity a Disney character should possess. And secondly, thank goodness they are changing Maddy's name. I always thought that was a bit plain.

But...The Princess and The Frog? :x Thats horrible. I'm sure they changed the name because of the controversy, but that was always pretty unfounded (not to mention ridiculous) in the first place. But "The Princess and The Frog" makes it sound like "The Frog Prince", meaning, a princess falls in love with a frog/kisses him to break the spell. It also makes it seem like there are two different characters, instead of her turning into a frog. It just is kind of a lame title, I prefer "The Frog Princess".

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 21st, 2007, 9:09 am

The Princess And The Frog is <I>awful</I>!

Kiss. Of. Death.

The Princess And The Cobbler doesn't really count, since that film shoudln't exist (!), but "The Princess And..." is an over used phrase and so obvious that they're only using it so they have another Princess product out there.

UGH!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 21st, 2007, 1:20 pm

I'd have loved to see an adaptation of "The Princess and the Pea"--you know that old fairytale? (Princess has to prove she's one by sleeping on a huge stack of mattresses, etc...)

They should maybe change the title, but it could make a great film. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 21st, 2007, 1:24 pm

Been done by the Swan Princess people.

It stinks. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 21st, 2007, 1:47 pm

Were there any reasons given for the title change?

Was it Ron Clement's/John Musker's decision?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 21st, 2007, 4:10 pm

I think I mentioned this film before here! I highly doubt this new Disney film will be anywhere NEAR as bad, but that title is just....so awful. :(

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107875/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 21st, 2007, 5:32 pm

Never seen it. Looks awful, though.

But yeah, bad title. :(

Off topic, Jake is back!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 21st, 2007, 9:19 pm

Yuck!

Hope that's not permanent!