Official Star Wars Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

New Simpsons Single DVD streets in May! SW-related...

Post by GeorgeC » March 17th, 2005, 1:00 am

Just caught this item at http://www.dvdtoons.com/news/728

It's a new Simpsons DVD subtitled, "Bart Wars."

Gee, I wonder which movie this could be tying into? :wink:

The best Simpsons single DVD so far has been the Treehouse of Horror DVD, but this one MAY possibly match that one if the episodes on it are the ones I remember...! :lol:

Bongo Comics has to produce a Simpsons Comics Star Wars tie-in, too!

GeorgeC

Star Wars films to be re-released in 3D in theatres...

Post by GeorgeC » March 19th, 2005, 2:27 am

From DynamicForces.com

"LUCAS: STAR WARS DUE IN 3-D
BY DF NEWS

George Lucas told ShoWest that he is planning to remaster all of the Star Wars films for rerelease in 3-D as a way to promote the technology, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Appearing as part of a panel of high-profile directors promoting 3-D and digital cinema at ShoWest, Lucas said he hadn't yet committed to a precise schedule, but hoped to have the first film ready for the 30th anniversary of the original Star Wars movie in 2007 and that he would then rerelease one Star Wars film per year in 3-D, the trade paper reported.

Lucas was joined by James Cameron, Robert Zemeckis, Robert Rodriguez and Randal Kleiser. Peter Jackson joined the group via a pretaped 3-D segment. They all implored theater owners to invest in digital projectors, which would allow theaters to show their upcoming movies in 3-D.

Cameron is in preproduction on the 3-D film Battle Angel, planned for a 2007 release. Zemeckis has two 3-D features in production, and Rodriguez is readying The Adventures of Shark Boy & Lava Girl in 3-D for release in the summer, the trade paper reported."

Sounds interesting, doesn't it?

And for a real treat for the ORIGINAL generation of Star Wars film, Lucas could re-release the original theatrical versions of A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi!

Aside from that little rant, some aspects of the new 3-D technology sound interesting.

I just hope it doesn't give people headaches or look like holographic images superimposed on flat backgrounds like Captain Eo and every other "3-D" film technology I've seen does...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » March 19th, 2005, 3:09 am

3D
ogod
OGOD
yes
YEEEEEES

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » March 19th, 2005, 3:10 am

I'll watch all six.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Star Wars films to be re-released in 3D in theatres...

Post by Ben » March 19th, 2005, 3:04 pm

GeorgeC wrote:For a real treat for the ORIGINAL generation of Star Wars film, Lucas could re-release the original theatrical versions of A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi!

I just hope it doesn't give people headaches or look like holographic images superimposed on flat backgrounds like Captain Eo and every other "3-D" film technology I've seen does...
You just KNOW the SW thing isn't gonna happen George. They're gone! These will be the "even better than the DVD" Archive Editions that will later be sold on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.

If it's the Imax kind of 3D, then you'll be okay. Still uses a "headset" (read: glasses) but these are not the red/blue headache-inducers of old! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » March 19th, 2005, 5:46 pm

the original prints are probaply destroyd. I love how they make fun of that in South Park. did anyone see that episode? totally hilarious. George Lucas' home videos, including ''first day of school - special edition'' :lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 19th, 2005, 7:08 pm

Release prints have been recalled and almost certainly have been trashed, but I doubt VERY much that the original negative has been destroyed.

That's what they would always go back to in order to tinker, plus Lucas is an archivist who likes to have back-up copies of everything he's done. The original trilogy exists in its original form...it's just that we won't ever see it like that again.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 19th, 2005, 9:43 pm

[quote="Ben"]The original trilogy exists in its original form...it's just that we won't ever see it like that again.[/quote]

You mean it's likely we won't see the films in their original form WHILE LUCAS IS ALIVE.

I think it could very well be a different story once he passes away unless the bastich has an evil scheme up his sleeve for dealing with the negatives once he dies.

I wouldn't be surprised if he torched them or had them buried with him.

As for the 3-D business, I've gotta see this for my own eyes. I still don't think it's going to look that great unless NASA is loaning out an improved version of its 3-D imaging software to Hollywood. Somehow, I doubt that's happened yet.

I've never heard of anybody successfully making 3-D moving imagery out of standard movie films. It's always been the case that they shoot 2 copies of the film from linked cameras spaced a set distance apart from each other.

Again, I've only see successful 3-D imaging from 2-D images from the likes of NASA and the military but you could still tell that the 3-D was very much artificial and extrapolated from FLAT photography.

People going to see these films in 3-D will want better than that, or the film producers can expect to see box office drop dramatically after opening weekend. Most us do NOT want the "same old" 3-D we've seen in theaters and amusement parks before.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 20th, 2005, 1:42 pm

Amazing and breathtaking, this trailer is.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 21st, 2005, 2:08 pm

Must say my excitement has been alerted again.

For me, Attack Of The Clones was on a par, or at least almost reached - Jedi level (supposing you go along with the Empire/New Hope/Jedi placing of films), but this looks like it could at least rival Jedi completly or even New Hope itself (whoa there!)

Looking forward again now, even though Darth Lucas turned to the daft side years ago...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 21st, 2005, 2:14 pm

George... have you seen Imax 3D?

I went to see Ghosts Of The Abyss last year at it was awesome. I was there (going back to Titanic, I mean, not just in the theater)!

Apparently, the new camera that has been developed for these films can produce an Imax and 35mm 3D image, as well as flat versions for standard viewing. The 3D is achieved in the lens, not like the 2 camera system of old.

Using that as a basis, there must be a way of reverse engineering the image and producing a 3D film from a 2D source, though gawd knows how it works. Lucas has apparently done this, and showed the first reel of A New Hope, as well as those aforementioned clips.

I will then have a problem with this if they start re-issuing older films, or films the studios did not actually create (eye on Disney bringing out any pre-1984 films: Cinderella III-D, anyone)??

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Star Wars animated TV show

Post by Plightyear » March 29th, 2005, 2:06 pm

Message deleted
Last edited by Plightyear on January 10th, 2007, 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 29th, 2005, 8:38 pm

I remember "Droids".....('80s cartoon)

And the Ewoks.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

GeorgeC

Did you hear this good LucasFilm rumor?

Post by GeorgeC » April 1st, 2005, 12:44 am

Word has it that dissatisfied Star Wars fans can send back in their DVDs of the original Star Wars trilogy, Episodes I and II, AND Howard the Duck to Skywalker Ranch to get brand-spankin' new transfers of the ORIGINAL theatrical versions of the Star Wars movies (Episodes IV through VI)!

More details to follow at the Offical LucasFilm Fan website link
StarWars.com/LucasDoesntCareWhatYouThink.html

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 1st, 2005, 9:42 am

I'd have still had trouble believing that even if Howard The Duck had been out on DVD!