The Princess and the Frog

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jake » April 22nd, 2007, 2:05 am

Daniel wrote: Off topic, Jake is back!
People remember me? :o (Thats supposed to be a surprised face, it looks a little mean though lol!)

Well thanks for noticing :lol: I'll be around. I should get myself an avatar.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 22nd, 2007, 3:16 am

People remember me? Surprised (Thats supposed to be a surprised face, it looks a little mean though lol!)

Well thanks for noticing Laughing I'll be around. I should get myself an avatar
I did! :) I always wondered where you went off to, but I'm glad you're back! :wink:

Daniel's original name was "Daniel Jake" (his middle name) and I think I said on an older thread thread: "There was another guy named Jake here at one point, but he isn't here much anymore."

:wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 22nd, 2007, 3:23 am

The Princess And The Cobbler doesn't really count, since that film shoudln't exist (!), but "The Princess And..." is an over used phrase and so obvious that they're only using it so they have another Princess product out there.

I REALLY hope this isn't true, but it kind of feels like the powers that be are pigeonholing this off as a "princess film" so that they've officially "done their bit" by placating Disney Consumer Products and won't be penalized (by the even higher powers that be) for the lost money/products the company will no doubt incur in closing down DisneyToon and stopping sequels....

Or maybe it's just me. :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 22nd, 2007, 7:24 am

Princess And The Goblin and The Princess And The Pea both stink, but Pea has a <I>few</I> redeaming merits. Goblin is just cinematic wastage.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 22nd, 2007, 5:10 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Daniel's original name was "Daniel Jake" (his middle name) and I think I said on an older thread thread: "There was another guy named Jake here at one point, but he isn't here much anymore."

:wink:
Aww, you remembered. :P Fyi, it was the screename thread, Vi. ;)

By the way, of course I remember you, Jake! Obviously we share a name, and you
disappeared as soon as I started posting. Weired, huh? Anyway, happy to hear you'll be around more! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » April 22nd, 2007, 9:06 pm

I'm not finding myself entirely revolted by the name somehow, though it is pretty uncreative. However, I can agree about Princess and the Goblin - my grandparents have that and I saw it several times as a young 'un... yet still can't quite remember what the heck happened in it... just that the "Princess" was not terribly attractive, from a character design standpoint. :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 23rd, 2007, 3:48 am

I'll just say this: love it or hate it, it's an old-school name all right. Very fairy tales. Very fairy "middle ages Once Upon A Time/happily ever after." Even if nothing else, you can't dispute that point.

And yet it's taking place in America, in the 20th century, right smack in the middle of a maelstrom/hotbed of race, gender and sexual revolution (new Orleans, the roaring 20's, the jazz age, flappers, social change, etc...)

O.K. Well, like I said before, I wish'em luck.

:|

EDIT: I'm not saying it couldn't be interesting, or that it's impossible to bridge the gap between the very different paradigms they have going there--it just seems very tricky. Either way, however, it will definitely be interesting, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes out. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 24th, 2007, 9:32 pm

From the Goofy/MH/AD interview (wasn't sure where to post this):

AV: In the New York Times article For Disney, Something Old (and Short) Is New Again, Don Hahn provides numerous thoughts regarding Home Theater and its fellow upcoming shorts. How much involvement does Don currently have with the shorts division?

MH: Not a lot since he’s on a sabbatical right now, so he’s not that involved. He was there at the time the article was written, and helped get things launched, but is taking some well-deserved time off right now.

Really interesting....I still wish we knew whether or not Don Hahn was staying! :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 11th, 2007, 8:58 am

Re: Jim Hill story posted on front page.

:shock:

Wow. I had a feeling before, partly from seeing all these disgruntled comments about the film (because of the race issue) on the IMDB forum, but Disney is REALLY going to have an uphill battle with this.

Particularly since:

This is the first major, big-budget, traditionally animated feature in three years.

This is being done almost completely under Lassetter's watch, along with his decision to change the setting and add Randy Newman.

No matter how well this film does, they're going to get it from all sides here. :|

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jake » May 12th, 2007, 2:14 am

ShyViolent, I'm so worried over this films' future. I think the controversy is beyond ridiculous. I'm afraid that Disney is either going to compromise the film's intergrity and quality by trying to make it too PC or the project is going to be cancelled altogether.

I really hope not. I miss 2D so much, I don't want to wait any longer than I have to.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 12th, 2007, 9:11 am

I think that no matter what, Jake, Disney is going to try to make this the best film it can even under these extremely difficult circumstances. And sometimes they've managed to snatch medium-triumphs even from what seemed to be certain defeat:

Emperor's New Groove
Chicken Little
Treasure Planet
Home on the Range

Yeah, some see these as complete bombs with no value whatsoever, but we know that's not true. :wink:

Regardless of everyone and his brother saying that TL and then CP were the End of Disney Animation....they were both nominated for Best Animated Film. :)

Don't feel too worried. Many want 2d back just as badly as you--and they don't even know it. :)

BTW, just FYI I"m ShyViolet not Violent....well, not all the time. :) :P J/K

I'm usually Violet...:wink:
Last edited by ShyViolet on May 12th, 2007, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 12th, 2007, 11:32 am

ShyViolet wrote:I'm usually Violet...
...or maroon... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 12th, 2007, 9:38 pm

Violet, you're turning Violet, Violet!!

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jake » May 12th, 2007, 10:57 pm

ShyViolet wrote: BTW, just FYI I"m ShyViolet not Violent....well, not all the time. :) :P J/K

I'm usually Violet...:wink:
Oops! Sorry that was a typo :lol: I knew it was violet.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 13th, 2007, 2:40 am

No problem Jake. :wink: