Favourite Disney Villains

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 28th, 2007, 2:21 am

ShyViolet wrote:But IMHO he just wasn't evil enough.
You'll be saying the exact same thing, when you watch part 2. ;)

But seriously, not evil enough?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by chernabog » April 28th, 2007, 1:10 pm

Hades all the way, a fantastically funny character and so original. Prof. Rattigan second because I personally think it marked a major turning point for how much humanity animators were able to get into characters and Vincent Price's voice is perfect.

Then obviously Scar for pure evil and Jafar for being so damn cool. Oh and I think The Wicked Witch is so underrated, deserves way more recognition than Maleficent.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 28th, 2007, 10:38 pm

Hades all the way, a fantastically funny character and so original.

Totally Chern!! :)

You'll be saying the exact same thing, when you watch part 2. Wink

But seriously, not evil enough?
I'll have to watch it soon....:wink:

I dunno Dan, it just seemed to me like his character had been more evil before and that the whole story started out much darker (just a feeling I get, plus rumors we've heard) and that not to frighten the kiddies they threw in those Gargoyle sidekicks (not putting them down :wink:) and made Frollo kind of...pathetic.

Like when he tells his soldiers to attack the gypsies and burn their houses, etc....he never does anything himself, not even when Quasi's mom is pursued....he's always like "Oh, kill her..." or "Kill them..." but HE never really does anything. (Not that this makes him any less guilty...but definitely less scary.)

You never see him personally, physically threaten anyone except Esmeralda, and he has a thing for her anyway so...:roll:

He tells the soldiers to let Quasi get humiliated or beaten (can't quite remember the scene exactly, haven't watched it in a while) but never beats Quasi himself....**

He's dour, humorless and often....boring. He needed some charisma and presence (like Scar, Jafar and Hades) to really make the character stand out and be, well, scary....he just isn't, for the most part. Then that whole end when he's about to die and looks scared of the "demon" in his mind---interesting...but makes him even less scary. :?

He just needed to be...more. I don't know more what, exactly. I think Tony Jay was wonderful and in no way am I trying to disrespect his memory, but I really feel that someone like James Woods, Jack Nicholson, Jonathan Winters (Jafar) or Jermey Irons would have been better.

**EDIT: Frollo never beats Quasi, and neither do the soldiers...I just remembered something I read a really long time ago that said that originally Quasi was supposed to get whipped in the square by the soldiers while everyone watched, but they changed it to him getting tied down and pelted with fruit.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 29th, 2007, 2:36 am

Oh and I think The Wicked Witch is so underrated, deserves way more recognition than Maleficent.
Which Witch? :wink:

Do you mean the Stepmother Witch in Snow White?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 29th, 2007, 6:28 am

In the book and the excellent 1939 Charles Laughton film, Quasimodo is whipped and the blood shows.

The Disney film very clevery uses the "fruit" - specifically tomatos - to break upon his skin and create the <I>illusion</I> of blood.

Shots used here are likewise a nod to the 1939 movie, and Quasi, at the end of the sequence, does look like he's been whipped and dripping blood, but without putting the ikkle kiddies through a more painful scene than it already is.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by chernabog » April 29th, 2007, 6:57 am

Yeah I meant the stepmother out of Snow White.

I have to disagree with you on Frollo though. He was very humourless but that's what made him frightening IMO. Even Scar who killed his own brother still had a sense of humour, albeit a very dark one.

Plus there's the added dimensions to Frollo which push him further than being a generic villain. His obsession with Esmerelda is really quite creepy and the scene in which he grabs her in the cathedral and places his hand around her neck still gives me shivers.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » May 25th, 2007, 4:35 pm

I think Frollo was masterfully animated by Kathy Zielinski and crew--I can't quite put my finger on why. There's a lot of subtlety in his acting in addition to the broader stuff (like that huge sadistic smile when he's watching Esmeralda burn--that's just creepy). I noticed that his face is drawn with a lot of vertical lines in it; not only does this give him a gaunt appearance, but it also allows him to show more emotions without totally distorting his face, which may have made him more comical. (This is not to say that I hate big distortion--I love how Deja distorts Jafar's face, especially his mouth/lower jaw/chin area.)

Of course, I could be speaking out of my butt--I'm not an animator by any stretch of the imagination.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bawpcwpn » May 25th, 2007, 5:30 pm

Well I'm thinking maybe either Lord Cutler Beckett/Davy Jones/Capt. Barbossa. All very worthy evil villians IMHO. But also definitley Scar and Jafar.
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 25th, 2007, 5:35 pm

That's a great point, Vern...Never noticed that before. Interesting!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 26th, 2007, 9:57 am

Frollo's interesting because he <I>is</I> so subtle. I don't think he makes any wild gestures throughout the entire movie, which is tough to animate. He saves it all for Hell Fire and the end showdown, both times he loses control of his emotions. Which is what makes him the coldest, cruellest, more <I>human</I> animated villain.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Witch from Snow White is the greatest if not fairest!!

Post by Deco King » June 9th, 2007, 4:35 am

The Witch from Snow White beats the rest of ALL Disney villains for sheer nastiness!! "Love's first kiss - the Dwarfs will think she's dead - she'll be BURIED ALIVE!!" she cackles!

I Love the "Boil Cauldron Boil !! Death within thy depths I see for one who dares to rival me brew the magic recipe ! Boil Cauldron Boil!! "sequence which was excised from the movie but appears in the Laserdisc/DVD! Strangely on the lasrdisc the pencil test for this sequence appears but NOT on the DVD - let's hope in the next BluRay DVD it appears!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 9th, 2007, 5:04 am

Who didn't see that coming from a mile away?

;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 9th, 2007, 11:35 am

??? Dan?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Deco King » June 9th, 2007, 12:40 pm

Daniel wrote:Who didn't see that coming from a mile away?

;)
Huh?? What do you mean Dan??

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 9th, 2007, 2:38 pm

I just meant, knowing what a huge fan of Snow White Deco is, its funny how he brought up the Witch again. That's why I said, "who didn't see that coming from a mile away?"

Sorry for the confusion. :oops: