What are you seeing in '07?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by rebelrex » May 23rd, 2007, 10:37 am

[quote="ShyViolet"]Also:

This is for anyone who wonders what M. Knight Shyamalan (remember him? :wink:) is up to these days. (Wik)

First of all- thank you very much for the M. Knight Shyamalan update. I really wondered what happened to him... :wink: The last of his movies I saw was The Village. I was a little disappointed, mostly because i've loved his other movies (i just thought the 'twist' was a little questionable). How was Lady in the Water btw? I never saw that.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 23rd, 2007, 11:24 am

No prob rebelrex! :)

I saw Lady in the Water when it came out....surprisingly enough, it was actually very intriguing in some parts, despite the otherwise mess of a story. It was actually the MOOD and FEELING which made the film worthwhile....sort of. :wink:

But the story was just so completly unintelligable, all over the place, preachy, weird-y, collussally egocentric in some parts
*spoiler*
(MNS plays the writer who will save the world, oh and there's an evil film critic who gets savagely mauled to death by a monster.)
Bryce was as good as she could possibly be, but her character was never realized in any way whatesoever...the script's fault not hers.
Oh, and the ending was a complete and total let down, as the "buildup" that's been going on for the while film just kind of fizzles away....:( As for twist endings....I could be wrong but....I don't think there WAS a twist ending....or if there was, it totally went over my head. :roll:

It's good to watch if you're an MNS fan....or if you like "weird" films. If you're expecting a coherent thriller with fully realized characters...look elsewhere. :?
Last edited by ShyViolet on May 25th, 2007, 1:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 25th, 2007, 12:59 pm

Re: Surf's Up

The animators had to learn to surf? AWESOME!! :) Lucky guys.... :wink:

I know Chris Sanders is a very big surfer, too bad he couldn't teach them how or something. :P

:wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 30th, 2007, 6:23 pm

Interesting commentary on the most successful CGI films:

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/ ... 59&k=76087

Of course we all know it was the stories, not the computers that did it. :?

And I still think that no matter how great Incredibles was as a CGI film, it would have been better in 2d. :twisted:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 30th, 2007, 8:18 pm

And I still think that no matter how great Incredibles was as a CGI film, it would have been better in 2d.
Nah, the action scenes wouldn't have been nearly as cool. :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 31st, 2007, 5:06 am

Sorry, that was just a stupid piece. No meat there at all, what was the point??

All down to computers and Big Name Actors.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight! :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by rebelrex » May 31st, 2007, 11:11 am

my girlfriend really wanted to see Derailed, so i just saw that a few days ago (actually pretty good, very suspenseful). im definitely most excited about ratatouille tho. transformers too, but just for the SFx :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 31st, 2007, 10:15 pm

Sorry, that was just a stupid piece. No meat there at all, what was the point??

All down to computers and Big Name Actors.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight! Rolling Eyes

Yeah...I knew it wasn't all that great. :P That's a little bit why I posted it--it's kind of a good window into how "non-animation fans" often view animated films and what they attribute their success to. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 2nd, 2007, 12:43 am

Here's an article on the whole Disney/Pixar/Apple thing from October 2006.
Interesting as the writer seems to be somewhat of an insider.

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/Q4.06/ ... 8019E.html

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 2nd, 2007, 2:53 pm

A little bit on the Simpsons movie, but more on some insider stuff on what's really happening at WDFA right now and how people feel about it. (not that specific, but interesting nonetheless.)

http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... -crew.html

At 6/01/2007 08:51:00 AM, Anonymous said...

I haven't worked at Disney in awhile, but I have friends that do.

The story crews at Disney work hard and get sets of notes from the brain-trust at WDFA, also the trust at Pixar. Notes get given, and the story artists I talk to seem to think the feed-back is pretty good. (They like that they don't get endless input from executive types, which was the case under previous regimes...)

Production people on the first and second floors are less starry-eyed about new-management changes. (There's been lots of layoffs, so this is understandable).

From what I'm told, Lasseter doesn't have the same glossy reputation inside the studio as he does outside it. But I know there's folks that think he's fine.

At 6/01/2007 09:01:00 AM, Steve Hulett said...

Without getting into specifics, I think that WDFA is going through the kinds of changes that always happen when there's a management shake-up. As Michael Eisner and Jeffrey Katzenberg imported a lot of the 1980s Paramount culture when they arrived at Disney, so now is Disney Animation taking on a lot of the Pixar methods and approaches.

Some people are pleased at the way things are going, others are a bit more wary. The layoffs that occurred early in the year had a definite impact (like, many of the employees that got laid off had a negative attitude about it. Which is pretty understandable.)

I think it's going to take another year or two for things to completely shake out.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 12th, 2007, 9:49 pm

Has anyone else here seen Epic Movie yet? (I know someone said on this thread or another one that they saw it.)

If so, what did you think?

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 13th, 2007, 8:35 pm

I saw both Epic Movie and 28 Days Later last week!

Epic Movie, was a horrible, horrible film. I was expecting.... Dunno, more laughs? I only laughed a couple of times, but mainly was just waiting for the film to end. So boring. Most of the parodies (if you could call them that) were just pathetic.

I did however, like how it started out as a Willy Wonka, than moved onto Narnia... but everything else, just got tiresome. The only ones I remember enjoying, were the Harry Potter spoof, because it had one of my favorite voices from Lilo & Stitch, Pleakly! And the Pirates spoof, because the guy who played Depp was dead on! All the other spoofs, were just vulgar, and mainly consisted of bad jokes that fell flat.

It was worth a rental, I'll admit, but yeah.... mixed feelings. :?

28 Days Later, on the other hand, was fantastic! I'm not a real fan of horror, but this is one of those rare occasions. Yay! I really don't what to say, but almost everything the film saught out to do, was accomplished. One of the reasons I believe I enjoyed this so much, is that, in a way, it proves you can terrify and shock people without resorting to cutting off body parts. Major plus!

The story was also very interesting, and I liked the way it unraveled. And I liked the chemistry between the guy and the girl. (Forget their names. :oops:) and the young girl! Now I can see your reason for being hard on the sequel, Vi. From what I've heard, it does sound like it stole everything that made this film, well, awesome! Still, with the way I enjoyed Days, I'm really anxious to see how the sequel is in comparison. Shocking, huh?

So there, I finally saw them. Now get off my back, Vi! J/k :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Matt DeTurck » June 14th, 2007, 12:49 am

I have absolutely no desire to see "Epic Movie", and I was intrigued by "28 Weeks Later" but I haven't seen "28 DAYS Later" so it was kinda a moot point by its release.

Jumping back on this post, besides the big 'uns this summer like "Potter 5" and "Ratatouille" and "Die Hard", I'm really looking forward to a mixed bag of oddballs from now through fall: "Paris, je t'aime", "Waitress", "Hairspray", "Sunshine", "Penelope", "Resurrecting the Champ", "The Kingdom" (almost solely for the resulting Elfman score), "Across the Universe", "Trick 'r Treat", and "Rendition".

What's that? More? A couple more in late fall for good measure: "Bee Movie", "Beowulf" (although my friend who minored in Old English is very wary), "Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium", and "Enchanted". Of course there's always the flood of oscar-bait / held-off excellent releases that begin in December, too ...

While I probably won't get to ALL of these, I'm a film studies minor and somehow end up seeing just over a film a week in a standard year. OY what a pricey hobby! :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 14th, 2007, 3:39 am

Hi, Matt Deturck! Nice to see a veteran member come back. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 17th, 2007, 6:07 pm

Is anyone going to check out Evan Almighty? At first I was like "Oh, c'mon" when I heard about it, but I think it looks really funny now. Of course they never would have made the film had Steve Carrell not gotten to be so big since the first Bruce Almighty, but if anyone can carry this kind of sequel, I think he can. :)

Plus I love the Noah story. I still wish DW had made that Noah film...:(

On another subject, Across the Universe looks amazing. I think everyone has seen the trailer by now--it's played with Shrek, Spider-Man, everything. It's that Beatles/montage/musical/drama (though not about the Beatles, exactly) directed by the same woman who did the Lion King on Broadway, Julie Taymor. (Also Titus)

The story was also very interesting, and I liked the way it unraveled. And I liked the chemistry between the guy and the girl. (Forget their names. Embarassed) and the young girl! Now I can see your reason for being hard on the sequel, Vi. From what I've heard, it does sound like it stole everything that made this film, well, awesome! Still, with the way I enjoyed Days, I'm really anxious to see how the sequel is in comparison. Shocking, huh?

I'm very happy to hear you liked it Dan! :) I knew you would. The sequel might also be good-still haven't seen it, but I'm sure I will, probably when I can do it for free here.

I know, Epic Movie wasn't that good. It just had these isolated little scenes that were funny, but all in all--it wasn't so great. I just loved Daryl Hammond as Jack Sparrow however--classic. :D

I also was very put off by the vulgar humor, went way too far. The film could have been so much more without it, and a better script of course. There was certainly no shortage of sets or expensive cameos.