Popeye the Sailor Man

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 7th, 2007, 4:24 pm

Oh, because it looked tacky un-hidden. There was no space on the edges, so I just decided to hide it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Zach » May 7th, 2007, 5:20 pm

Oh. I will probably get that dvd sometime. It has a lot of special features on it! I like special featutres. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 8th, 2007, 12:20 am

This set looks amazing. The featurettes sound great, and I can't believe that they're even putting the "Raggedy" two-reeler in there!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 8th, 2007, 7:53 am

Raggedy is a great plus!

I am a <I>little</I> miffed that it stops at 1938 and will not include one of the color two-reelers, meaning that we'll have to buy the next set to get it, which will predominantly be the later Famous cartoons, which I've so far skipped on getting in the PD releases and have little interest in.

Poor Cinderella and Superman have likewise been seen many times in many collections, and seems nothing more than filler or teasing for other WB releases. For completion's sake they could have dropped those for the Aladdin featurette.

BTW, Dave Fleischer directed a little-known about "feature" (actually only 50 minutes from sources I have) which put Popeye up against Sinbad, but has nothing to do with the earlier featurette. I would get a second set (it was released in 1946 and has never been seen since) if this was included <I>in a heartbeat</I>. Having the Aladdin featurette and this film in there would certainly make a second volume well worth owning, with the Famous cartoons then taking on, for me, a nice "bonus" status. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 10th, 2007, 7:00 am

When I was very young, my school in Israel used to have activities at lunch (it was kind of a "progressive" school :wink:).

They had a tiny little movie theater where they used to show us cartoon shorts....mostly Popeye ones. (the classic ones I think, 'cause they were often b +w) That's pretty much where I got my intro to Popeye. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 9th, 2007, 5:22 am

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 9th, 2007, 10:07 am

Neato!

Although, I was impressed with the screen caps on the Superman shorts until I saw their actual condition.

After the trailer for Popeye on the pretty bad Tex Avery set, I'll hold off getting excited. There are a LOT of cartoons in this box and I'm not expecting all of them to be as clean as that.

The color looks great on Sinbad though, even if there's a really nice version out there from the National Film Museum.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » July 9th, 2007, 12:19 pm

Wow, the Sinbad and Aladdin toons look fantastic, especially the Sinbad title card!!

Can't wait to see a clean version of the "Popeye the Sailor Meets Sindbad the Sailor" cartoon,
The model/background effects on that one are amazing to look at.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » July 9th, 2007, 12:30 pm

Comparison shot between an older DVD transfer and the new one.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 9th, 2007, 2:12 pm

Nice.

Do you know which release the older still comes from? Nice to see we're getting more image information on the new.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 9th, 2007, 5:00 pm

That comparison shot is WOW! The colors just look so beautiful.

Here's more screenshots: (from a GAC members blog)

http://classiccartoons.blogspot.com/200 ... nt-of.html

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » July 9th, 2007, 5:29 pm

Man, this is looking so great, I really hope it doesn't dissapoint like almost all the other old toon releases.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kurtis » July 9th, 2007, 5:47 pm

This does look great! I can't wait to see it move! I especially can't wait because the only thing I've seen of the original shorts are the few that are in the public domain! Yipee!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 9th, 2007, 8:10 pm

Me too, Kurtis! Seeing screenshots is one thing, but seeing it in motion is another.

By the way, amongst my searching for another thread, I found a pre-existing thread for this; POPEYE the Sailor Man!! on DVD at LAST!!

:)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 10th, 2007, 10:33 am

You guys are in for a treat.

I can finally retire my three VHS tapes packed full of these from when the BBC showed decent prints in the late 1980s.

These are among the most handsome of the cartoons produced in the 1930s. The details, backgrounds and character animation are simply superb. The color two-reelers makes those three films particularly amazing to see, but it's a shame the rest of the series wasn't shot this way...they would be even more stunning than they are.

I hope the quality is as good as we're being led to believe. I know a lot of people waited for the Droopy cartoons based on WB saying they were taking time to clean them up, and that set looked awful. The trailer for Popeye on that release showed beat up cartoons, off center title cards and over exposed frames...I'm hoping that Jerry Beck isn't on some kind of retainer to oversell this product based on a few GOOD freeze frames...

Thanks on the older thread find Dan...merging... :)