Ratatouille

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 10th, 2007, 2:39 pm

We're actually planning on making it pretty soon - the local newspaper had a nice big Ratatouille article that included recipes for three different versions of the meal. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 10th, 2007, 4:53 pm

Do tell us the outcome, Meg!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Ratatouille analogy

Post by droosan » July 10th, 2007, 7:14 pm

Phil wrote:I heard about a Ratatouille review that had some very interesting ideas and I wanted to pass them along here. <snip> ... it’s not a perfect analogy, but it is very telling. What do you think? Are there parallels that I’ve missed?
Well,
for one thing, Michael Eisner was not Walt Disney's 'successor'; his son-in-law, Ron Miller, was. And many would agree that Miller did, in fact, lead the Walt Disney studio into a period of stagnation and mediocrity (although, IMO, some of the 'mediocre' Disney films of the 1970's and early 80's are actually quite enjoyable).

However, it was the introduction of Eisner, Katzenberg, et al into the staid environment of Disney leadership that was ultimately the genesis of what many consider now to be the Disney studio's so-called "Second Golden Age". Largely thanks to the shake-up caused by the new bigwigs, a string of new 'classics' was created by the new generation of Disney artists, which, (for the sake of the analogy) adapted Walt's original 'recipes', with just a bit of updating: The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, etc.

Granted, Eisner did ultimately take the studio down the path of DTV sequels and such .. which may have forever tainted his legacy; but there's no denying he did an awful lot of good for the Walt Disney company in his first ten years as CEO.

Further, John Lasseter had been fired from the Disney studio (for 'overstepping' his superiors in his attempt to get The Brave Little Toaster made; a victim of studio 'politics') for over a year by the time Eisner was brought aboard in 1984. There's certainly no denying that Lasseter idolized Walt Disney, and patterned his films after those same 'recipes', but he was never in a position of power during his earlier tenure at Disney, and, although Pixar and Eisner were often at 'loggerheads' (mostly regarding the details of their distribution deal), there was very little 'creative' interference between them; and thus (IMO) little resemblance to the Skinner/Remy relationship analogy.
Regarding the movie, though .. how about this theory: :idea:
What if Remy was the reincarnation of Gusteau..? He looks to be about a year old, maybe two (about the time that seems to have passed since Gusteau's death) .. yet he can read, and has an instinct for cooking. Perhaps the 'figment of his imagination' is the spirit of his former self, helping to set things right with his restaurant, and 'redeeming' himself to (and ultimately, befriending) his former 'opponent', Anton Ego.
That's all merely speculation, on my part, of course. That's what I like about all three of Brad Bird's films; he leaves much of the 'back story' open for such interpretation. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Ratatouille

Post by spaz » July 11th, 2007, 12:15 am

finally saw it tonight. as usual , Brad Bird has a knack that no one else does. the film is brilliant. remarkable quality in all departments. it makes me enjoy working on my old tractor more and more.

spaz

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JV IS TIZ!!! PIXAR » July 12th, 2007, 6:28 pm

Ratatouille DVD Info!

You might have already known that the Ratatouille DVD will come out Tuesday, November 6, 2007 in the USA, but what you might not know is what will be on the DVD, right? Well sources tell me that the DVD will have an all new never before seen original piece called "Your Friend the Rat" in 2-D animation! The DVD will also have interviews with Brad Bird and some of the artists who worked on Ratatouille. Sources also tell me that the deadline for the DVD was a few weeks ago.

That’s all the info I have about the Ratatouille DVD at this time. Have a great day!
[Source]
[url=http://www.jvpixarnews.com]JV PIXAR NEWS[/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 12th, 2007, 6:49 pm

Well sources tell me that the DVD will have an all new never before seen original piece called "Your Friend the Rat" in 2-D animation!
Snazzle!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 12th, 2007, 7:09 pm

Snazzle?

I'm happy about the news, too. Should make for a cute short. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 13th, 2007, 1:33 pm

We always get a new Pixar short on a Pixar DVD, so that's a no brainer. I'd guess that we'll also get the Lifted short too, plus an as yet un-announced CG Rat short too.

The REAL question is...2-disc, or a double dip...!? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 13th, 2007, 4:22 pm

We always get a new Pixar short on a Pixar DVD, so that's a no brainer.
Yeah, but how many in 2-D?[/quote]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kaszubas » July 13th, 2007, 5:24 pm

Meg wrote:Yeah, but how many in 2-D?
I guess it's more like rhetorical question but I can't resist posting the answer: as far as I remember there is only ONE: "Mr. Incredible and Pals" :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 14th, 2007, 2:22 pm

Indeed!

I just love that short. :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 15th, 2007, 9:15 pm

Ratatouille: A Return to the Old School

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/movies/con ... chool.html

The funny thing about the article is that the writer refers to the Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston "cameos" at the end of the Incredibles as "two elderly bystanders." :P
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Ratatouille

Post by spaz » July 16th, 2007, 1:58 am

i took my wife to see Ratatouille tonight. this film is by far the best Pixar movie done to date... in my "suspended 3 times from ILM during my 10 years" view. it is a testament to Brad Birds ability, having mastered cel and cg. Ratatouille is the best film of the year in any catagory. sorry haven't seen Sicko and don't plan on it. there is something animated in itself about a fat slob doing a film about the medical industry in America when infact he's never had a stitch in another country. anyhow, back to Bird. this guy has been screwed over by so many studio's when in fact they should be kissing his ass for saving animated movies from the weasels. in an interesting parallel, to witness Disney's reliance on Pixar, is going to be as interesting as witnessing Pixars's reliance on Bird. in contrast ,Cars was a "impressed with itself" phong shaded tella-tubbies.
Bird made a real movie... it just so happens the medium choosen was animation.

spaz

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 17th, 2007, 1:37 am

I downloaded two tracks from Ratatouille on itunes. I can't even express how gifted Giacchino is. I mean sure, you notice it in the film, but you get distracted from all the action/animation going on.

I think to truly realize how awsome he is, you need to listen to only the score! :wink:

Ratatouille may or may not win Best Animated Feature (most likely it will) but Giacchino sure as heck better get Best Original Score. :P
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

best film

Post by spaz » July 17th, 2007, 2:09 am

i think shyvi, Rata has a good crack at best film. name a better film this year ?