The Complete Private SNAFU back in print...

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

The Complete Private SNAFU back in print...

Post by GeorgeC » September 4th, 2007, 10:36 am

Better prints of at least some of the cartoons exist on other DVDs, but there's only one complete collection on one DVD:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Uncensor ... 534&sr=1-1

It's back in-print as of December last year.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 4th, 2007, 2:06 pm

Don'tcha just HATE it when you spend $80 or more on eBay for an OOP disc only for it to come back into print?

Image has been doing this more often. They're letting their snappercase inventory run out and then reissuing them in keepcases at half price. Their Superman disc was going for less than $10 before the Warners remasters, and their George Pal collection has been slashed too in keepcase form.

Actually, I picked up SNAFU a while ago, so not that peeved, but will hold out now for Bosko Volume 2 rather than snap up the $70 I recently saw. My Volume 1 is a keepcase reissue so it can only be a matter of time before V2 comes back the same way.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » September 5th, 2007, 11:53 am

Cool! I missed SNAFU the first time around, so It's good to know I have another chance to check it out.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 5th, 2007, 11:48 pm

One thing I will warn you about the Private SNAFU collection and Ben probably already knows this Eddie --

about half the cartoons on the Bosko DVD are of poor quality.

It's not age -- they just look like they were put through a wringer. There's scratching all over the film and the sound quality isn't as good as some of the earlier shorts.

The other half are decent quality.

The people that own these films, however, were nice enough to lend them to be mastered for VHS and DVD editions. So far, the Bosko DVD/VHS releases are the only way to get the full SNAFU collection -- including the shorts that were not released because World War II ended earlier than the US military thought it would. SNAFU and TARFU shorts were scheduled for release into 1946.

With the end of World War II, the SNAFU shorts were locked up and forgotten except for the copies that fell into private hands. Who knows if the military archives of the US government still have any copies of these shorts left? I doubt WB has a full set of SNAFU shorts. Remember, these were the same people that sold half their Looney Tunes for a song back in 1948!

I have no idea what kind of shape the SNAFU prints are in on the Looney Tunes Golden Collections, though.

Sad to say, but I have not taken time to watch ANY of the LTGC DVDs yet.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 6th, 2007, 9:55 am

The prints are a little better on the LT collections, but not by much. There is the added image info on the sides, which are heavily cropped/windowboxed on the Image disc, but you can't go wrong for less than ten bucks for a full set like this.