Robin Hood

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Robin Hood

Post by Wonderlicious » April 24th, 2005, 5:47 am

Why is it when ever I look at Animation sites on the Internet that people call this the worst Disney movie? Does anyone else think Disney's Robin Hood is a great Disney classic? I know that it doesn't have the best animation, but I find it to be a very re-watchable, fun movie. Is anyone with me on this one? :roll:
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 24th, 2005, 8:42 am

It is fun - in fact I rewatched it only two weeks ago.

Yeah, there is a LOT of recycled animation in it, and it's pretty rough going in an animation sense, but there's some good writing, Ustinov is rightly celebrated as being one of Disney's best villains (along with Terry-Thomas' Sir Hiss), and it has a jolly mood throughout.

For me, and I think why it has gotten a "lame" reputation, it just seems to be Disney-by-numbers, in that the Studio was playing safe with adapting another well-known tale and weren't very adventurous with it, sticking fairly well to the age-old story.

But it is overlooked, and the way of telling it with animals is a nice touch and probably the thing it's most remembered for. Several of the "middle Disney" pictures aren't as bad as many make out, and The AristoCats and The Rescuers for me still stand up.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » April 25th, 2005, 6:00 pm

The re-used animation is weak, but the story holds up from start to finish, there's some great comedy in it as well. The part where the Sheriff sings that song about Prince John, right when he walks in is princeless. Also at the start when they steal from Prince John. It's entertaining. big time.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 26th, 2005, 8:05 am

Yeah, and "Not In Nottingham" is one of the most underrated contemporary songs in all of Disney. A heartfelt plea that really hits home, and I often find myself humming it.

Plus, Robin Hood was one of the first Disney VHS titles to come out in the UK, so it got watched over and over and over in my house!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » April 26th, 2005, 2:41 pm

Ben wrote:Yeah, and "Not In Nottingham" is one of the most underrated contemporary songs in all of Disney. A heartfelt plea that really hits home, and I often find myself humming it.

Plus, Robin Hood was one of the first Disney VHS titles to come out in the UK, so it got watched over and over and over in my house!
same over here, me and my brother would watch it all the time when we were little. Now I find myself rewatching it on dvd quit often. Of all the Disney movies that are considered to be of a "lesser quality" I hope this one gets a good 2-disc treatment soon. It's wishful thinking but I think it has potential.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

heeey

Post by fani » June 22nd, 2005, 6:11 am

That's like the movie that exposed me to the English Languange.
My parents told me I used to watch it day in and day out when I was 2

"OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE AH CLOOOOOOOOOCK IN ALL'S WELLSSSSSS"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 22nd, 2005, 11:03 am

That's like the movie that exposed me to the English Languange.
For me that was probably Charlotte's Web. :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 22nd, 2005, 2:25 pm

Well, THAT explains things... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 22nd, 2005, 3:52 pm

Maybe. :oops: :wink:

Actually, it might have also been The Secret of Nimh. :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: heeey

Post by Ben » June 22nd, 2005, 4:05 pm

fani wrote:That's like the movie that exposed me to the English Languange.
Still need a bit of help with your spelling, though, I see. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

heh

Post by fani » June 22nd, 2005, 10:36 pm

Yeah, I do need soooooooooooooooooo much help from you guys.

:lol:

Back to that topic, Robin Hood is special to me. Mostly because of that vulture that says "One o'clock and all's well" or was it "One O'clock in all Wales"?

Tea and crumpets Ben?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 23rd, 2005, 9:10 pm

"Just close them sleepy little eye-balls... The sandman's a comin'..."

Loved that line - used to say it to my sister every night when we were young.

Trigger was the name of the vulture.

Yeah, I like tea AND crumpets (but I'm not telling you my type!) ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 24th, 2005, 4:51 pm

I think the footage of Maid Marion dancing was recycled from Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, wasn't it?

I do kind of want to see this movie though, (I've only seen parts when they used to show it on UPN back in the days) mostly for Phil Harris who is a very good actor. (Or was I guess) He appeared in like three Disney movies then! Sort of like the John Goodman of the 70's.

One movie from this era that I think is very under-appreciated is the Fox and the Hound. I LOVED this movie when Disney re-released it back in the 80's. (At the time I thought it was a "new" movie that had just been made.) I thought it had a great moral, it was sweet and touching and very exciting. (I also had the movie storybook).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » June 24th, 2005, 4:55 pm

That movie was on Disney the other day and I was SO excited.

Funny though... I've never heard anything bad about it. Everyone I've talked to loved that movie.

EDIT: What in the hell is a crumpet anyway.
EDITEDIT: Crazy brits.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 24th, 2005, 8:09 pm

Crazy Yank! ;)

Yes, Snow White and Bambi are among the films that have scenes "lifted" from them in Robin Hood.