Bee Movie

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 13th, 2007, 3:23 am

From me, no. ;)

To be more clear; Bee Movie isn't as bad as Cindy II, it just reminded me so much of it, since it felt like 3 stories stapled together -- sans the inbetween stuff. Make more sense? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Otis8 » November 27th, 2007, 2:04 am

i hated bee movie! it was boring. one of the worst dreamwork movies.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 27th, 2007, 11:42 pm

Now than, Vi, have you seen Bee Movie yet? Smile

Sorry I didn't answer you until now Dan.....nope, not yet. I want to very much though. Hopefully soon.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 28th, 2007, 12:01 am

No worries Vi, I already knew your answer after seeing you mention it on another thread. :)

Whenever you get around to seeing it, hope you enjoy it, I want to hear your thoughts on it. In retrospect, I liked Bee Movie more than I let on. It really is cute but.. it did have its flaws.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 28th, 2007, 12:13 am

Thanks Dan! :) I'll post as soon as I get to see it.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 28th, 2007, 10:17 am

It really is cute but.. it did have its flaws.
My thoughts exactly, Dan.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 1st, 2007, 7:30 pm

Man...the UK gets Enchanted AND Bee Movie on the same day!

Two weeks!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 13th, 2007, 12:26 pm

The movie got a Golden Globe nomination. That was a little surprising.

And my mom saw this film the other day and actually tried to take it SERIOUSLY. I'm like, "Mom, it's a movie about a talking bee. How seriously can you take it?". ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 13th, 2007, 2:52 pm

My mom did that with Surf's Up (which should have TOTALLY gotten the nom over Bee Movie!!)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 13th, 2007, 3:58 pm

They probably gave it the nom because they still like Jerry Seinfeld.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » December 14th, 2007, 5:05 am

I saw Bee Movie :D.
The films is very good,better then i expected and it was funny too,i didn't see that coming (espically the parts with Vennesa and Barry (when they slap each other and when Vennesa fly and then crush and die XD)).
I think Seinfiled was overrated (i really Barry be Seinfield himself gets all the attention) and i agree with Daniel,it is seems like 3 stories (Barry choose a work,Vennesa and Barry and Barry sue humans) at once like Cinderella II.
But it's a good film anyway.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 15th, 2007, 11:14 am

It's getting a good buzz over here.

I'll likely see both Bee Movie and Enchanted on Wednesday. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 17th, 2007, 4:53 pm

If you do, I advise going in that order. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 18th, 2007, 8:58 am

Depends on showtimes, but Jenny will probably come to Enchanted, which puts that in the evening bracket, so very likely will go in that order.

I haven't done a double trip in a while. Oh, wait, I did F4: Silver Surfer and Die Hard 4 this summer. But before that it was a long while... ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 20th, 2007, 6:08 am

BEN'S TAKE:

As with my thoughts on Enchanted, these notes will probably find their way into an eventual DVD review. Here's what I mentally scribbled down:

As the trailers ran, I got a good grip on the kind of audience I was with...Kung Fu Panda got no response, Alivin got "wannasees" and there were a lot of "aaaaahs" for WALL-E.

Unlike many people, I wasn't actually bothered by the episodic nature - everything we do in life has a consequence, good or bad, and the movie follows this by building on each one. Kinda like Jerry Seinfeld's original show.

I was "amazed" at how "Jewish" the film was, perhaps no surprise given the creators behind it. It seemed to come over a lot more than any other mainstream film I've seen in a while (this isn't a complaint, by the way! Just an observation), from the way every female design wore their hair (naturally in a bee hive style!), to Renee Zellweger's so-called "wonky eyes", which struck me on the big screen as a trait seen with many Jewish ladies. Lines such as "I hope she's Beeish only confirm the "in-joke" nature of this observation.

Bee Movie is actually perhaps DWs' best looking movie, though Vanessa herself is animated awfully, as are most of the humans apart from Goodman's lawyer. And why did no-one ever apparently change their clothes? I only noted one or two dress changes from Vanessa in the whole movie!

Warburton came off as annoying, cliche and standard as he has now become, now overused, though not as bad as he might have been had he been one of the jock-bees collecting the pollen.

The movie was talky, but sweet, and Seinfeld was the best thing about it, as it should be and understandably so, providing him the perfect vehicle to translate his observational humor to the big screen.

Once Barry has won the lawsuit, the story is effectively over, but Bee Movie, like Enchanted, feels the need for a "big ending" (rather than going out on a flat Shrek 3 speech), and looks for some excitement in a stupidly implausible plane sequence in with the bees must come to the rescue. This is all only partially successful...the set up is ridiculous, though it's somewhat rescued itself with a highly amusing payoff.

I loved the caricature of Ray Liotta - this is exactly how "Tom Selleck" should have been done in Meet The Robinsons - recognisable as the celebrity himself but not that would pull one out of Bee Movie's world the way a real life photo would have done.

Barry and Vanessa are never suggested to be more than just good friends...there's no hint of relations, even if Barry is romatically smitten. Vanessa is, for good or bad, linked to Warburton's sap throughout, and it's only Barry's friend (Matthew Broderick, doing some very subtle vocals) who suggests she's a "girlfriend". I didn't even think talking bees was any kind of issue - how do we know that they can't talk?

It was set, like Antz, in NYC's Central Park, but there were no crossovers that at least jumped out at me, despite ample opportunity. With Woody Allen and Seinfeld both treading the same paths, a meeting of the minds, if only for a sequence, might have been great fun.

Bee Movie drags a little in the tiny section between winning the court case and landing the plane, but the movie got a rare round of applause in the theater at it's end, something that English audiences are not prone to do.

The soundtrack mix favored the vocals a little too much, but then again the music score wasn't anything to write home about. The success of Bee Movie rests on its visuals, and they had a lovely 1940s feel about them. DreamWorks and Jerry Seinfeld have made a good pairing that has brought out the strengths in both, and resulted in a pleasing effort that, while not perfect did bring a great many smiles to my face.