Chowder

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Chowder

Post by PixarVixen » November 13th, 2007, 5:49 pm

Any fans here of the new cartoon series Chowder?

C.H. Greenblatt's creation premiered Nov 2 on Cartoon Network, and new episodes air Fridays at 7:30 PM ET.

[plot from Wikipedia]:
"The series is set in "Marzipan City" and features a young kid named Chowder, who is Mung Daal's young apprentice chef. Usually during the day, Chowder will perform tasks for Mung Daal while learning how to be a chef, but the problem is that Chowder eats everything in sight, which results in countless misadventures."

Check out Greenblatt's blog Nerd Armada where he recently covered Chowder's questionable species and uncovered a fact about his...errrrm...anatomy. Heheh.

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » November 14th, 2007, 12:08 am

I gave up on CN when they took away Toonami weekdays. I watch One Piece on saturdays but that's the only show I watch on there now. Not to judge since I've not seen it, but Chowder sounds dumb (just like Camp Lazlo and Billy and Mandy and Juniper Lee and all the other bad shows they do nowadays. I swear, Disney Channel, Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon all totally whomp now. What happened?).
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PixarVixen » November 14th, 2007, 12:31 am

The invasion of the teenybopper shows. :roll:

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 14th, 2007, 4:02 am

I haven't actually seen an episode, but the commercials are so annoying. Is Chowder singing or talking!? :?

I'll try to keep a look out though, since it might surprise me.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PixarVixen » November 14th, 2007, 3:02 pm

Daniel wrote:Is Chowder singing or talking!? :?
If he's going, "I'm not your boyfrieeend!", then he's singing.

~~=oP
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » November 14th, 2007, 3:31 pm

I haven't even heard of it (comes from having no tv). The last new show I liked that came to cartoon network was Foster's though.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 14th, 2007, 10:16 pm

Yeah, that's true with me too.
PixarVixen wrote:If he's going, "I'm not your boyfrieeend!", then he's singing.
No, I don't think that's the one. He's saying (and this is from memory ;)) "whatever I learned, I learned from youuuu, even if I didn't understand a word". Sounds like he's singing, but I could be wrong.

Code Horror

Post by Code Horror » November 15th, 2007, 5:06 pm

Are you kidding me? I watched the show, it's very cool. One of the episodes has a Katamari reference.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Chowder

Post by Dusterian » January 15th, 2008, 12:23 pm

I really like this show, maybe even love it, already. That's only when I catch it, though, so for some strange reason even though I love TV I only watch it at night for Adult Swim. But when I watch during the day, and I find Chowder, I like to watch it.

The animation does that thing where fabrics or even hair and skin sometimes are designs that don't move with the characters. It's hard to explain but it's really obvious. It's like if you took something with transparent, not-colored-in clothes, and moved that character with transparent clothes over some designed background. The clothes would have the design of that background, but not move with the character, just be moving over the background...

It also seems there is some puppet or stop-motion or perhaps CGI animation involved. I saw some commericials with Marzipan City done in what I thought was a 3-dimensional version in stop-motion, but in the show I believe it's 2-D animation.

I really like the show. I think it's pretty original (it certainly feels different and new, as much as it can be in a world where originality seems dead). I like the designs, the weird non-moving patterns I talked about, the humour, and just the feel of the whole thing. It's all very nice, and I do feel like I'm in some new world of its own. I'm glad a kid voice actor is able to do a good job as a main character on a show.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 23rd, 2008, 12:35 am

Nicky Jones is actually the voice actor for Chowder. Some might be familiar with his earlier work as the voice of Flower in Bambi II. Brought justice to the character, and I like his work so far on Chowder.

I've only see one episode, but I really like the show too. Feels original. And I know what you mean about the fabric and material, Dusterian! You explained it much better than I could ever. :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Chowder

Post by Dusterian » January 23rd, 2008, 1:01 pm

Aw, thanks Dan, too bad there isn't some term coined for that way of doing patterns, I've seen it in other shows, even SpongeBob I think.

So, I was right, it's a kid doing Chowder's voice? I wanted to be sure. Glad you like the show, Dan, I read you were skeptical earlier in this thread. I haven't caught it on TV lately, I should try to watch TV more.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 23rd, 2008, 2:07 pm

Yep. :) Nicky was born in 96, so by my count he's about to turn 12. Real talented kid!