Peter Jackson's The Hobbit

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Peter Jackson's The Hobbit

Post by Ben » December 18th, 2007, 12:36 pm

The Hollywood Reporter wrote:<B>Jackson to exec produce after dispute settlement</B>
By Gregg Goldstein, Dec 19 2007

The eagerly awaited prequels to the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy will finally hit the big screen.

MGM and New Line have pacted to co-finance and co-distribute "The Hobbit" and a sequel to the film. New Line will handle distribution in North America, and MGM will distribute the J.R.R. Tolkien adaptations internationally.

Putting aside what once seemed like irreconcilable differences over the filmmaker's profit participation, "Rings" writer-director Peter Jackson and New Line have settled all litigation over the nearly $3 billion-grossing "Rings" trilogy. Jackson and Fran Walsh will executive produce the films, to be shot simultaneously, and New Line will manage their production.

Preproduction will begin soon, and principal photography is tentatively set for 2009. The release of the first film is slated for 2010 and the sequel in 2011.

Jackson, MGM chairman and CEO Harry Sloan and New Line co-chairman and co-CEOs Bob Shaye and Michael Lynne jointly made the announcement Tuesday morning.

"I'm very pleased that we've been able to put our differences behind us, so that we may begin a new chapter with our old friends at New Line," Jackson said. " 'The Lord of the Rings' is a legacy we proudly share with Bob and Michael, and together, we share that legacy with millions of loyal fans all over the world. We are delighted to continue our journey through Middle Earth. I also want to thank Harry Sloan and our new friends at MGM for helping us find the common ground necessary to continue that journey."

Said Sloan, "Peter Jackson has proven himself as the filmmaker who can bring the extraordinary imagination of Tolkien to life, and we full-heartedly agree with the fans worldwide who know he should be making 'The Hobbit.' Now that we are all in agreement on 'The Hobbit,' we can focus on assembling the production team that will capture this phenomenal tale on film."

"We are very pleased we have been able to resolve our differences and that Peter and Fran will be actively and creatively involved with the 'Hobbit' movies," Shaye said. "We know they will bring the same passion, care and talent to these films that they so ably accomplished with the 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy."

Lynne said, "Peter is a visionary filmmaker, and he broke new ground with 'The Lord of the Rings.' We're delighted he's back for the 'Hobbit' films and that the Tolkien saga will continue with his imprint. We greatly appreciate the efforts of Harry Sloan, who has been instrumental in helping us reach our new accord."

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 18th, 2007, 2:10 pm

Don't know if it matters, but we already have a thread for The Hobbit. True, it started out as a joke, but near the end there was speculation for Jackson. Your call. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 18th, 2007, 3:06 pm

Thanks Dan...I wanted this to be the serious Hobbit thread, since we're likely to get a lot of talk on this. I've retitled that other thread to reflect the joke, linked it to here and locked it, in the interests of keeping <I>this</I> thread focused on Jackson's new films.

Woo-woo! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 18th, 2007, 3:10 pm

YESYESYESYESYES!!

Great news - thanks Ben! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » December 18th, 2007, 3:36 pm

Squeeee so they are coming out with the Hobbit. ^.^ *dances excitedly* I'm just a little confused. So they are releasing the Hobbit and a sequel to the hobbit? what would that sequel be? part 2 of the hobbit? or a completely new story (not written by Tolkien)?
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 18th, 2007, 3:55 pm

I'd imagine they'd just be splitting the original story into two bits.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 18th, 2007, 4:21 pm

It's actually - at the moment - going to be "The Hobbit" and another film (currently called "Middle Earth").

The Hobbit will be the first book.

Middle Earth will be structured around the 60 or so years between The Hobbit and The Fellowship Of The Ring, based on Tolkien's writings and backstory.

Since I've only ever read the actual books and nothing of the extended writings, I wouldn't know where it could go apart from guesswork, but apparently the material is there to create a convincing bridging movie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by cmoon » December 18th, 2007, 5:11 pm

Although I can't say I'm quite jumping up and down (I actually much prefer the pre-LOTR peter jackson); the Hobbit is a story I like quite a bit more than LOTR (accessible, short, less poetry, etc.) I would definitely enjoy seeing a good movie of this, though to be honest, I hope it isn't exactly the same kind of production as LOTR since it is a very different kind of story.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » December 19th, 2007, 12:18 am

Ben wrote:It's actually - at the moment - going to be "The Hobbit" and another film (currently called "Middle Earth").

The Hobbit will be the first book.

Middle Earth will be structured around the 60 or so years between The Hobbit and The Fellowship Of The Ring, based on Tolkien's writings and backstory.

Since I've only ever read the actual books and nothing of the extended writings, I wouldn't know where it could go apart from guesswork, but apparently the material is there to create a convincing bridging movie.
Hmmmm I don't know if this will be a good thing or a bad thing. Right now I don't think I'm looking forward to the "Middle Earth Movie". *shrugs* We'll just have to see but I am excited about a Hobbit movie. ^.^

cmoon_ I also feel like the style of the movie should be slightly than the trilogy since the book also has a very different feel than the LOTR. I hope Peter jackson keeps that in mind.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 19th, 2007, 4:02 am

Ben wrote:I've retitled that other thread to reflect the joke, linked it to here and locked it, in the interests of keeping <I>this</I> thread focused on Jackson's new films.
Wise decision. 8)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bawpcwpn » December 19th, 2007, 5:12 am

Wow. I guess some where right to expect the unexpected. I'm glad PJ is doing it because he did so well with LOTR it wouldn't be the same if someone else did it.
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » December 19th, 2007, 6:40 am

I wonder who will direct, seeing as the report is that Jackson will be producing...?
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/ninja_otter/SKsignature.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 19th, 2007, 7:35 am

He'll be <I>executive producing</I>, says the press release, and the rumor is that is just in the context of the New Line/MGM deal. His actual day to day role hasn't been set, but again the rumor is that "we'll be happy".

I hope so :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » December 19th, 2007, 11:00 pm

Me too - I love the feel he gave Lord of the Rings. Always good to have a guy in charge who respects the source material. :)
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/ninja_otter/SKsignature.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by vveksuvarna » March 7th, 2008, 1:33 am

now that new line is taken over...& peters disputes are taken care of...

wonder why he wont direct the film...

i was expecting him 2 direct halo...but hez only producing...

it woudl be nice to see him come bac as a director...