Pinocchio: Platinum Edition

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Pinocchio: Platinum Edition

Post by Daniel » February 17th, 2008, 8:36 pm

We've known it was going to be a "Platinum Edition" for sometime, but with conflicting rumors, I had my doubts that we wouldn't, but no more! A poster on another forum - who got the One Hundred and One Dalmatians DVD early - confirmed Pinocchio is indeed next in the line-up after Sleeping Beauty. So, Spring of 2009 for both DVD and Blu-ray.

Woo, woo... I love, LOVE, Pinocchio! :) I remember I used to watch the VHS non-stop back in the day... I still have it actually, since I never upgraded to the DVD; which is even better, since I won't 'technically' be double dipping. 8)

Love the story, the songs, the dark look - which I feel makes it seem more real. And that whale scene, amazing!

It feels like such a long wait, but as with Dalmatians, I know the time will fly bye! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 17th, 2008, 11:03 pm

Wow, it's ABOUT TIME!!!

I cannot believe Disney has waited so long before giving Pinocchio decent treatment on DVD. I mean, it's one of Walt's first features!!! They'd better do right by it now!

The only good thing about the looooong wait is that now I can get it on Blu-ray!

I never bought the film on DVD either. I do have the laserdisc box set, though, which still stands up well as a very nice special edition, including not only lots on disc, but also a CD and other materials.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 17th, 2008, 11:08 pm

They'd been wanting to mix day/date 1080 mastering in as part of the regular Platinum restorations as far back as "Little Mermaid", but nothing ever happened with it until the "Sleeping Beauty" publicity--
I thought they'd finish all their regular restorations first and wait for the second cycles, but looks like we don't have to wait that long for Fantasia after all!

(And let's hope this's confirmed, as it could help redeem the image of 4:3 vintage on Blu, unless Warner gets there first.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Pinocchio: Platinum Edition

Post by Once Upon A Dream » February 18th, 2008, 7:23 am

About time :D i"m so glad it's coming :D they officialy said it? thought i know it will come,in March 2009.
Very neat :D (thought i think Pincchio is a brong movie,but Jimminy is a great character :D).
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 18th, 2008, 2:11 pm

Y'know...I was about to post something like this!

Pinocchio and Sleeping Beauty have, historically, been two of Disney's titles that they have repeatedly used as introductions to new video formats.

They've both become iconic titles, but the truth is they were both flops, so the Studio reasoned they could put out bona fide classics while not actually dipping in for the big guns.

So...as I was thinking about Sleeping Beauty coming out, I literally the other day said to myself, well, that means that Pinocchio can't be very far behind.

If the patter sticks, look for (on Blu-Ray at least) the next releasing wave to include Alice In Wonderland and Dumbo.

You heard it here first! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 18th, 2008, 4:05 pm

Ben wrote:Y'know...I was about to post something like this!

Pinocchio and Sleeping Beauty have, historically, been two of Disney's titles that they have repeatedly used as introductions to new video formats.
They've both become iconic titles, but the truth is they were both flops, so the Studio reasoned they could put out bona fide classics while not actually dipping in for the big guns.

So...as I was thinking about Sleeping Beauty coming out, I literally the other day said to myself, well, that means that Pinocchio can't be very far behind.
Pinocchio is more "iconic" than loved, while SB tends to attract either little girls who like Aurora's dress or Disney nostalgists who like the dragon.
(And they even hinted in the press statements that they thought they needed the Disney Princess(TM) brandname and widescreen appeal to sell SB first, if Blu-ray didn't turn out to be enough of a draw by itself.)
One is sold as "Cinemaphile prestige" value, and the other as "Cuddly fan-appeal" value.

And I don't think Pinocchio going Blu-Platinum has anything to do with "guilt" over the existing disk being the last survivor of the Limited Edition days, before everything else was "redeemed" with SE 2-Disks...
We may see it that way, while again, Disney just wanted to get their re-remastering assembly-line started, and Pinocchio was the last one on the Platinum line due for the Big Restoration anyway--Fantasia already got its DVD wash-and-brush-up.
Ben wrote:If the patter sticks, look for (on Blu-Ray at least) the next releasing wave to include Alice In Wonderland and Dumbo.
I wonder about that... :?
You're referring to the days of VHS, and the Five Disney Orphans, that even the Vault didn't want and were available year-round:
Alice, Dumbo, Sword in the Stone, Three Caballeros, and...(Fox & Hound?--Darn, it's been so long, can't remember . :?:)

Thing is, disks, marketing and the Gold system have changed all that and mixed up all the works: Alice is now a major player, Dumbo gets a 2-disk (to go with its pitch-sequel), Three Cabs now gets a 2-pack in April thanks to their Epcot attraction, and Merlin & Wart still can't get no respect.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » February 18th, 2008, 6:32 pm

EricJ wrote:You're referring to the days of VHS, and the Five Disney Orphans, that even the Vault didn't want and were available year-round:
Alice, Dumbo, Sword in the Stone, Three Caballeros, and...(Fox & Hound?--Darn, it's been so long, can't remember . :?:)
IIRC, Robin Hood was the other 'perennially-available' VHS title ..

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 18th, 2008, 8:17 pm

(Charlie Brown) ...THAT'S IT!!!!

(D'oh, I knew there was one other animated flop that regular syndicated-TV stations were "allowed" to show on holidays! :oops:)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 18th, 2008, 8:38 pm

This makes sense when I think about it. I just wonder why they aren't releasing this *Before* they bring Sleeping Beauty out again.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 19th, 2008, 6:53 am

Three Cabelleros and Saludos Amigos were paired long before this...on VHS in the 1980s, on LaserDisc (in a VERY nice SE with the South Of The Border doc) and then again now.

Third time around for these guys together.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by walt1928 » February 20th, 2008, 11:17 am

Sword in the Stone is going to be getting a $5th edition this summer, so hopefully it will have a new documentary.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 21st, 2008, 6:31 pm

As I posted in the Sleeping Beauty thread, here's our first look at the Platinum logo. Seems too similar to Cinderella's, but I like it. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by tyler283455 » September 21st, 2008, 10:53 pm

Wow I known this for a long time.
[img]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e314/joris1/ecede288.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 22nd, 2008, 6:14 pm

Very similar to the LD box set...which can only be a good thing, hopefully. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by tyler283455 » September 22nd, 2008, 8:38 pm

I heard both Fantasias are coming out next. ll be followed by Snow White then Beauty and the Beast.
[img]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e314/joris1/ecede288.jpg[/img]