Toy Story 3

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 24th, 2008, 1:28 pm

Surprise, surprise!

This has been mooted since the 1990s large format conversions of Beauty And The Beast and The Lion King. Back then it was apparently going to cost way too much money to convert these things.

Flash forward to "Disney Digital"...although the press release says they're building from scratch, that's still the same as rendering out a new film and so I think there's some creative speaking going on here. Certainly some shots might be being rebuilt, but not each entire film.

Quite nice to run these theatrically again though, in the lead up to the new film. I guess it's all marketing...making sure the new generation of youngsters know the Toy Story brand again as it will have been ten years since the last one.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 27th, 2008, 11:44 am

Thought this comment on Animation Nation was kind of cute...
Hey all, I'm currently working as a story artist on TS3 here at Pixar. Our crew shirts say 'franchise guardians' on the back.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 30th, 2008, 9:49 pm

A little confusing, since this was posted on another thread, but it referred to TS3:

Ben wrote this: :) (in reference to this link: http://valleywag.com/346012/steve-jobs-nearly-killed-)
That Jobs thing is old...why are they digging this up again now?

That was the Disney-TS3 he was trying to get out of doing, not the Pixar-preferred version being made now.

BOBBYDAFAN's comments make the most sense here.

Here are those comments: I didn't get a chance to check them out before but VERY interesting:
BY BOBBYDAFAN AT 01/18/08 02:35 PM

I was lucky/unlucky enough to have worked at Disney's "Circle Seven Animation Studio", while they were doing Toy Story 3. I'm quite familiar with the entire project...from script to "story reels". Many would be surprised to learn that this was not some down and dirty "cheapquel" produced by "total hacks". Quite the contrary...this production had some of the best talent in the biz. We were fortunate to have MANY former Pixar story artists/animators, etc., who had worked on Toy Story and/or, Toy Story 2. There was a tremendous respect for the originals, reverence way beyond what you find on most projects. Artists were recruited from all over the world for Toy Story 3. Millions spent on script and story...many people, like myself, felt that if Disney were going to make these sequels to Pixar's classic films, they wanted to make sure it received their best effort. At the end almost two hundred extremely dedicated and talented artists were working on the production...(we even had visitors from Pixar drop in from time to time to see old friends). So, despite what you may have been led to believe, this was a first class operation.

Then the buyout...not knowing what to expect, everyone gathered on a sound stage on the main lot, to meet with John Lasseter and Ed Catmul. We were shocked when Ed casually tossed out that Toy Story 3 was being shut down immediately. The belief up to that point was that after the buyout, Pixar would get involved with the project, (which we were excited about!), and keep it moving forward. Two hundred hard working people who had dedicated almost two years of their lives to an amazing project, walked off the lot that day in total shock. I've read a lot of accounts as to what happened during that time...and I just thought it was time to give it a little perspective.

By the way, there was an amazing near shooting draft of Monsters Inc. 2! It was developed to be next in line at the studio after TS3. I've read parts of it and it's unbelievable. No word on what Pixar's plans are for the script, though. Hope this little bit of insight is interesting...Bobby D.
Wow, very sad what happened to them...I had a feeling that this is what went down. A shame they weren't retained for the film, or that some kind of "marriage" couldn't have been worked out between the two productions. I also don't understand why Circle 7 couldn't have continued even if TS3 was shut down.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 31st, 2008, 6:25 am

Edited my last post....didn't mean to go down the Pixar criticism path again. :? I do question some of their actions....but it's true I don't know the full story either (not by a long shot) so there's no need to repeat what's been said already. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 21st, 2008, 8:05 am

Possible plot for Toy Story 3?

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35679

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » February 21st, 2008, 9:57 am

That plot sounds sucks :(.
But Toy Story 3 sounds good :D.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » February 21st, 2008, 11:01 am

:?:

I think Lasseter or somebody hinted at this idea a while back when Toy Story 3 was still being made at Disney...Can't remember too well though.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 21st, 2008, 2:22 pm

Lasseter hinted that this was the *ending* of TS3, if I remember correctly.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 21st, 2008, 8:47 pm

Yep, that's about as much as we already knew. Nothing new. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 24th, 2008, 4:08 pm

I'm not gonna dig up the link, but a couple of years ago I read something on Jim Hill that talked about TS3 and back then, the plan was that the toys would end up at the day care, but only after having an adventure and stumbling across it by accident, thus making for a happy ending. It looks like they've got something else in mind now. If the toys are "dumped" at the place, then I assume it happens fairly early in the story, so what's the rest of the movie gonna be about?
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Toy Story 3 Plot revealed

Post by dizzybloom » February 28th, 2008, 3:42 pm

I just got an email and in it was the Toy Story 3 Plot revealed. It sounds sad, but hopefully it will be the best one yet.

Here is the link

http://www.mymovies.net/synopsis/defaul ... =4&s=4&n=2

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 28th, 2008, 4:39 pm

Hey, and welcome!

Unfortunately, while this may be new news to you, this "plot" (it's actually only the ending of the movie) has been around for three years or more!

We've been discussing Toy Story 3 over here:
http://www.animated-news.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2178

...which is where I'm going to merge your post.

Welcome again, and I hope to see you stick around! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 28th, 2008, 4:58 pm

Ben wrote:Unfortunately, while this may be new news to you, this "plot" (it's actually only the ending of the movie) has been around for three years or more!
Since I'm too lazy to go back and look up pages of old threads, :P
Was the link to the synopsis of the in-house Circle 7 "Taiwan" script ever posted?

I remember reading one very bizarre and just-so-wrong plotline (Woody teams up with a sexy action figure?) on one industry website--and not sure if it was a hoax--and thought it might've been here, but I can't find the link when I need it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 28th, 2008, 6:35 pm

I don't know if there was ever a full <I>script</I> posted anywhere, but there was certainly a lot of talk here about the Buzz/Taiwan/recall treatment, yes.

AV Team
AV Team

Lou Romano dropping by my alma matar

Post by Dan » March 27th, 2008, 3:06 pm

Lou Romano of Pixar will be dropping by my alma matar of Platt College in San Diego, California for a few discussion sessions about his experience in animation. Romano is best known as the voice of Alfredo Linguini in Ratatouille. He has also voiced Bernie Kropp, Dash's teacher, in The Incredibles and Snot Rod, the sneezing muscle car, in Cars. He is currently cast to replace the late Jim Varney as the voice of Slinky Dog in Toy Story 3. Behind the scenes, Romano has worked on The Pagemaster, The Iron Giant, The Powerpuff Girls and Dexter's Laboratory before joining Pixar. He's worked on visual development for Monsters, Inc., was production designer on The Incredibles, and will be the art director of the 2009 feature Up.

Romano will have three sessions on Friday, April 4 at Platt College. The times are noon, 4pm and 6pm. Visit www.platt.edu or call 866-752-8826 for more information.