Cinderella: Platinum Edition Discussion

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » February 2nd, 2008, 1:16 pm

NO!!!!.
Besides,they didn't brought it over here :roll: (just a book).
(It's a bad place for a Disney\animation fans,we get a singel disc versions Platinum Edition and we don't get stuff like Enchanted Tales or the TinkerBell Movie,we don't got sequels lateley (we didn't got Fox And The Hound II,Cinderella III and i"m sure we won't get Ariel's Beginning,we don't have a Disney Store,we havn't got a singel Enchanted marchandise,heck,we don't even have a Disney Channel!).
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 2nd, 2008, 4:53 pm

You could try importing, like many of us do!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Katrina Van Tassel vs. Cinderella

Post by SleepingBeautyAurora » February 28th, 2008, 11:17 pm

These two ladies look fairly similar but whose design do you prefer ?
[url=http://sbk.freemyforum.com]Sleeping Beauty's Kingdom[/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Katrina Van Tassel vs. Cinderella

Post by Once Upon A Dream » February 29th, 2008, 4:03 am

Defintly Cinderella :D.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 29th, 2008, 8:06 am

If this turns into a decent conversation between the merits of Cinderella and The Adventures Of Ichabod And Mr Toad, then fine, but we're not launching another Disney females race here.

Both were created in very similar time frames, and based on the popular conception of "female beauty" of the time (the late 1940s), so they will share similarities.

As with many of these things, the "second attempt" proved more successful. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » February 29th, 2008, 1:31 pm

Well, we're comparing a character from a short to a character from a film, I think they would probably intend the star of an animated feature to be the better designed one. They probably worked harder on her, at least.

Cinderella looks more natural, more realistic, less seductive, and less dumb than Katrina Van Tassel. I heard some people complained that Cinderella was too real (as in not stylized enough?) around the time the film came out, but I might be remembering that wrong. And of course she was based on live-action footage of a real girl.

It's funny, Cinderella looks less pretty than Katrina, and Katrina reminds me in some stills of the extra-pretty re-designed Disney Princess clipart of Cinderella they sometimes use. Katrina also looks rounder, cuter, and perhaps younger than Cinderella.

Cinderella and Ichabod's films have more similarities Katrina doesn't just look like Cinderella, she has an outfit similar to Cinderella's ballgown, and there's scary shadowed horseman chasing someone and smashing pumpkins in both films. I don't know of any other similarities, though.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » February 29th, 2008, 2:34 pm

Does anyone have an actual screenshot of her?,i haven't seen Sleepy Hollow.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » March 2nd, 2008, 10:55 am

Here's a 'comparison chart', of sorts ..

Though their overall designs are fairly similar, Cinderella is the more detailed (and expressive) of the two. Cinderella is also far more 'likable' as a character .. though, admittedly, that has little to do with her design.

There is, however, much more 'appeal' in the way Cinderella is drawn, and her mannerisms/movements seem more 'thought-driven' than Katrina .. who is basically, simply 'feminine', with no special character traits, other than to coyly flirt with both Ichabod Crane and Brom Bones.

Both characters are very 'cute' .. but, IMO, Cinderella has the 'edge', in design, and just about every other quality. :idea:

------------

:arrow: And you should really watch The Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad when you can get the chance, OUAD .. both sequences feature some of the Disney studio's most iconic imagery.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by SleepingBeautyAurora » March 2nd, 2008, 11:11 am

Thanks for sharing the pics/chart with us droosan !! :D I still like Katrina's design a bit more but Cinderella is definitely an overall better character. I believe Katrina was the inspiration for Cinderella ?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » March 2nd, 2008, 11:50 am

Wow! :o thanks,droosan :D ,i know see how much they're similar :o (i didn't knew who is she until i checked in Google).
She does looks like Cinderella in her cliparts from the Princess merchandise,she also looks very similar to Bo Beep from Toy Story :o.
Defintly Cinderella again :D.
Okay,i"ll see The Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad :D (by the way-she does merry the skinny guy?).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » March 2nd, 2008, 12:22 pm

Once Upon A Dream wrote:Okay,i"ll see The Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad :D (by the way-she does merry the skinny guy?).
well .. not to 'spoil' the movie too much for you; but, as that last picture of Katrina implies .. this is one of the few instances in the Disney canon in which the hero doesn't 'get the girl' :shock: (though, as you'll see, it's never made clear whether Ichabod actually 'really' has a chance with her).

Be assured that there is still a 'happy' ending for him, though ..!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » March 2nd, 2008, 12:37 pm

Droosan..you are like...my hero for making that chart and saying so many great things about my favorite Disney girl. Excellent choices of screencaps to match the characters. I agree completely with all you said, of course, but I have favoritism and bias. But it just makes sense since Cinderella is supposed to be a kind-hearted character you root for, and, of course, one that can sustain a full-length animated feature film.

SleepingBeautyAurora, of course you like Katrina more, she looks more like the prettier-than-Cinderella Aurora. Hmph. Well, Aurora was designed to be so beautiful because that was about all there was to her character. I actually read that from an animator's interview.

Poor Ichabod...Disney let looks matter. Well, at least they're being realistic (and possibly meant to be funny?). But everyone knows in the real world, lots of typically attractive people fall in love with the less attractive. I've seen it with my own eyes.
Last edited by Dusterian on March 3rd, 2008, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » March 2nd, 2008, 12:53 pm

droosan wrote:
Once Upon A Dream wrote:Okay,i"ll see The Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad :D (by the way-she does merry the skinny guy?).
well .. not to 'spoil' the movie too much for you; but, as that last picture of Katrina implies .. this is one of the few instances in the Disney canon in which the hero doesn't 'get the girl' :shock: (though, as you'll see, it's never made clear whether Ichabod actually 'really' has a chance with her).

Be assured that there is still a 'happy' ending for him, though ..!
Ah okay :D,i"ll guess i"ll know who's that guy she's merrying after i"ll see it :D.
Werid anyway :? i think he deserve to be with her :P.
Anyone noticed she looks like Bo Beep from Toy Story?.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by SleepingBeautyAurora » March 2nd, 2008, 3:44 pm

Dusterian wrote:SleepingBeautyAurora, of course you like Katrina more, she looks more like the prettier-than-Cinderella Aurora. Hmph. Well, Aurora was designed to be so beautiful because that was about all their was to her character. I actually read that from an animator's interview.

Poor Ichabod...Disney let looks matter. Well, at least they're being realistic (and possibly meant to be funny?). But everyone knows in the real world, lots of typically attractive people fall in love with the less attractive. I've seen it with my own eyes.
I like Cinderella as well ! She is one of my favorite characters, I can really relate to her. I think a lot of people can relate to Cinderella. I also like her design but I like Katrina's a tiny bit more. Aurora is my favorite but I appreciate Cinderella as well.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 3rd, 2008, 6:47 am

Let's not get onto Brom Bones and Gaston! ;)