Cinderella: Platinum Edition Discussion

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Katrina Van Tassel vs. Cinderella

Post by Phil » March 3rd, 2008, 10:06 am

Dusterian wrote:Poor Ichabod...Disney let looks matter. Well, at least they're being realistic (and possibly meant to be funny?). But everyone knows in the real world, lots of typically attractive people fall in love with the less attractive. I've seen it with my own eyes.
I don't think you can blame Disney. It's been a long time since I read it, but I'm pretty sure that's the way Washington Irving wrote the story almost two hundred years ago (give or take a decade).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Katrina Van Tassel vs. Cinderella

Post by Dusterian » March 3rd, 2008, 1:49 pm

SleepingBeautyAurora: Well, since this is just about designs, it's all fine. Glad you do like Cinderella. And of course Disney intended everyone to relate to Cinderella, they had to for audiences to respond. Meanwhile we never see very much of Aurora so she had to be so pretty we liked watching her sleep! But she has to be a beauty to fit the title of her movie.

Ben: Didn't notice he looks like Gaston!

Phil: Well, doesn't the book say their were rumours of what happened to Katrina and Ichabod, "some say she married so and so", but I don't remember the book revealing the ending Disney chose for Ichabod:
Marrying the girl audiences would think is unattractive, and I believe also the girl that no one else would dance with at the Halloween party!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 3rd, 2008, 2:32 pm

On Gaston...it's very clear (and even been acknowledged) that his spooky cavern song sequence In The Adventures Of Ichabod And Mr Toad was an influence on Gaston's opening shots in the Kill The Beast sequence of Beauty.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by SleepingBeautyAurora » March 3rd, 2008, 5:20 pm

Brom Bones does look similar to Gaston. Katrina was created a year before Cinderella. The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad was released in 1949 and Cinderella in 1950. The ladies were created around the same time but Brom Bones and Gaston were created a lengthy time apart. (1949-1991, 42 years) I wonder what inspired them ?
[url=http://sbk.freemyforum.com]Sleeping Beauty's Kingdom[/url]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 3rd, 2008, 5:28 pm

Um...history?

Picture it: 1947/48, they're making The Adventures Of Ichabod And Mr Toad and the girl's turning out real good. Come 1949 and they're looking for their Cinders, "hey, why not let's try using the same kinda girl and just finesse her a bit more"...done.

Flash-forward to 1989. They're looking at making up a handsome villain. Someone remembers that there was one Disney picture in which the hero didn't get the girl..."we need a Brom Bones type", "hey, yeah let's go look in the archive"...

It's really not very hard to figure out, especially what with all the guys like Glen and Andreas that live and breathe their studio history.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by SleepingBeautyAurora » March 3rd, 2008, 5:34 pm

Good points Ben, Brom did get Katrina in the end but Gaston doesn't get Belle though which is a difference.

droosan maybe you could create a comparison chart for Brom Bones and Gaston as well ? You did such a wonderful job on the last one. :D
[url=http://sbk.freemyforum.com]Sleeping Beauty's Kingdom[/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » March 4th, 2008, 12:45 pm

Oh, Ben, do you really think it went like that? I don't. I think they remembered things from their earlier designs, but way less consciously than the way you said. After reading and looking at a lot on my favorite Disney princess, they obviously drew a lot of different character designs and even weren't sure how to make her hair color. And she isn't exactly blonde like Katrina, it has an orange/red thing going on. I think she just turned out to look like Katrina just like almost every Disney girl has turned out to have a headband (Snow White, Blue Fairy, Cinderella, Alice). There's a lot of similar things between all Disney characters, I think they just had a penchant for certain design characteristics.

Perhaps this is not the case with Gaston, though, since it was a completely new group of artists and they wanted to recapture old Disney magic, so they may have looked at old Disney designs.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » March 17th, 2008, 4:14 pm

You know, maybe this is more evidence they looked at Ichabod for inspiration in Beauty and the Beast. First Gaston is like Brom Bones, now something else I've noticed for a while. There's this picture that looks strikingly similar to one droosan posted. Katrina's hands are held by an unattractive man like Belle's hands were held by an unattractive man, well, beast. They even both have ponytails and bows. Look for other similarities:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Super_Disneyfan » June 3rd, 2008, 11:15 am

Once Upon A Dream wrote:NO!!!!.
Besides,they didn't brought it over here :roll: (just a book).
(It's a bad place for a Disney\animation fans,we get a singel disc versions Platinum Edition and we don't get stuff like Enchanted Tales or the TinkerBell Movie,we don't got sequels lateley (we didn't got Fox And The Hound II,Cinderella III and i"m sure we won't get Ariel's Beginning,we don't have a Disney Store,we havn't got a singel Enchanted marchandise,heck,we don't even have a Disney Store!).
Well, here we get the 'complete' platinums (except Snow White, that was a single disc, but it was so succesful they brought BatB out in the french edition (DIGIPACK!!!!) but since then we got the normal 2 disc edition (Slipcover....), AND sometimes the 1 disc edition too!)
We also get all the sequels and 'tales', including slipcover.
BUT you hardly find 'nice' disney stuff, everything is Disney Princess (not that I don't like them, but it is all for Little girls, like dolls and things) and we don't have a Disney Store OR Disney Store (we do have jetix, but that's not the same)!
I don't why I am telling this but I did so...here it is!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » June 3rd, 2008, 12:57 pm

Super_Disneyfan wrote:
Once Upon A Dream wrote:NO!!!!.
Besides,they didn't brought it over here :roll: (just a book).
(It's a bad place for a Disney\animation fans,we get a singel disc versions Platinum Edition and we don't get stuff like Enchanted Tales or the TinkerBell Movie,we don't got sequels lateley (we didn't got Fox And The Hound II,Cinderella III and i"m sure we won't get Ariel's Beginning,we don't have a Disney Store,we havn't got a singel Enchanted marchandise,heck,we don't even have a Disney Store!).
Well, here we get the 'complete' platinums (except Snow White, that was a single disc, but it was so succesful they brought BatB out in the french edition (DIGIPACK!!!!) but since then we got the normal 2 disc edition (Slipcover....), AND sometimes the 1 disc edition too!)
We also get all the sequels and 'tales', including slipcover.
BUT you hardly find 'nice' disney stuff, everything is Disney Princess (not that I don't like them, but it is all for Little girls, like dolls and things) and we don't have a Disney Store OR Disney Store (we do have jetix, but that's not the same)!
I don't why I am telling this but I did so...here it is!
I can order from US (Like I did with Little Mermaid,Cinderella,Enchanted Tales and I guess Sleeping Beauty too) but shh....
Anyway,we don't have complete PE but sometimes we have slipcovers,or always (Finding Nemo,Ratatouille,The Lion King,Enchanted etc.).
Dolls are good but things like Giselle's make up set,Ariel's talking beauty salon or Cinderella's talking hair brush makes me sad,I love the Princess and also collecting Princess merchandise but that's very sad.
There are great merchandise like light up pens,smarties,plushies,notebooks and etc.
We also have Jetix,last summer they started showing The Legend Of Tarzan,Kim Possible,High School Musical films,Lilo and Stitch and now they started showing Phineas and Ferb,I wonder if they"ll also show Emperor's New Groove.
We will get Ariel's Beginning (Well,it's the last sequel) and we might get the TinkerBell movie.
We didn't got any Enchanted merchandise.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Cinderella: Platinum Edition Discussion

Post by Daniel » May 21st, 2019, 2:01 pm

Cinderelly is next up on the "Walt Disney Signature Collection" train. Here's the trailer:

No word if this will have a new restoration. Judging from the preview, looks the same as before.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 22nd, 2019, 5:02 am

Wow...well done for finding the Platinum thread to post this in!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 22nd, 2019, 1:53 pm

Thought it would be pointless to make a new thread when there was already discussion for Cinderella and home video releases. This is essentially a redundant release, and with small updates a 'bump' would suffice. You're usually the one who asks if we have any old related threads to merge into...

Wow indeed. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 22nd, 2019, 6:49 pm

Wow again...way to crap on someone for paying you a compliment...!? :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 22nd, 2019, 7:28 pm

It didn't read that way at first, sorry. Thought you were being cheeky that I bumped an old thread for the Platinum release to discuss a new edition. :oops: