Cars 2

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by cordonbleu » December 10th, 2007, 11:30 pm

Considering that Cars Merchandising sold 10 to 1 to pixars highest grossing film at the box office Finding Nemo and that it is expected that from Merchandising alone the IP has produced around $1billion in revenue, it isn't hard to believe that Disney-Pixar would be working hard to spur that income with another release.

When you also factor in the new Cars-Land attraction at Disneys California Adventure, with 12 acres and opening in 2011-12, a sequel at that time seems very appropriate.

As for two sequels back to back in Toy Story 3 and a possible Cars 2, I wouldnt be surprised at all to see Pixar output increase to 2 films per year (as rumored some time back when Pixar was still independent) or at least 3 films every two years, allowing them to make regular high income from the leverage off of their key IP assets as possible, the releasing of new Movies and even shorts helping to spur DVD and merchandising sales of previous titles along with Theme Park attendance, whilst continuing to deliver brand new IP to the market.

With two films a year, we would be looking at the return of the Christmas release along with the current summer release.

2 FILMS A YEAR POSSIBILITY

JUNE - Wall-E

JUNE - Up!

JUNE - Toy Story 3
DECEMBER - NEW IP

JUNE - Cars 2 (coinciding with the opening of Cars Land at DCA)
DECEMBER - NEW IP

JUNE - Finding Nemo 2/Incredibles 2/Monsters 2
DECEMBER - NEW IP

Of course this is complete conjecture on my part, and I doubt it would happen. We would be much more likely to see the output increasing to 3 films every two years with the third being a sequel to existing IP.

The only Pixar films in my mind that really do not lend themselves to a sequel are

A Bugs Life - The IP is too old now and it was never that big a success.
Finding Nemo - To well wrapped up to really suggest a sequel possibility, disregarding the title.
Ratatouille - Such a fantastic movie but what could they possibly do in a sequel? Take Ratatouille to America?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by vveksuvarna » March 7th, 2008, 1:38 am

its finally official...woohooo...

even thou i was expecting monsters inc 2 before any other sequel...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bawpcwpn » March 7th, 2008, 3:11 am

The only other Pixar films that need sequels IMHO (excluding a Cars 2) would be a MI2 and TI2. But just the thought of sequels gets me nervous. There is a such an expectation for sequels, and more so with Pixar because people expect more from them. There are few very good sequels i.e Godfather 2, Toy Story 2 etc.
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by vveksuvarna » March 8th, 2008, 1:19 am

i would loooove to see monsters inc 2 come out....it kept u wanting for more..

& besides the ending is a very good suggestion that pixar wanted to more sequels after toy story 2...& now that the film is a sucess...i hope they come out with the movie in 2012..

as far as i have heard...they are already trying to work out sequels for monsters inc & nemo...the story part is still under development...once that is final...they may announce it anytime during the next year....

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Groaning » March 8th, 2008, 4:58 am

vveksuvarna wrote:its finally official...woohooo...

even thou i was expecting monsters inc 2 before any other sequel...
official? since when? :roll:
[img]http://www.pixarplanet.com/images/rat.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 8th, 2008, 8:35 am

Since we announced Disney's 2011 movie slate on the front page! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bawpcwpn » March 8th, 2008, 3:51 pm

The same news came via a tipster at Aint It Cool. I wouldn't be surprised if Zephyr and WALL-E*WONKA are the same person. The Aint It Cool report says that they are eyeing 2011 for a Cars 2, and other reports say Disney/Pixar are considering a Cars 2. I don't think it counts as official until Disney announce it themselves.
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » April 8th, 2008, 7:38 pm

It appears from this article that "Cars 2" will be coming out in 2012.

www.variety.com/article/VR1117983709.ht ... id=13&cs=1

PS: There are other movies mentioned in the article but don't want to post the article multiple times. Hopefully, those interested in the information will read this post or maybe the moderators can post the link on the main page to let everyone know about it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JV IS TIZ!!! PIXAR » April 8th, 2008, 8:26 pm

I told you Cars 2 was ture. :)
[url=http://www.jvpixarnews.com]JV PIXAR NEWS[/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 9th, 2008, 2:01 am

...Back in July, after rumors started pouring in. ;) Doesn't really matter much, though.

Seems like a lot of folks aren't too happy with this confirmation. Can't blame them, really, but after Pixar outdid themselves with Toy Story 2, I'm hoping Cars will get the same treatment -- so in that regards, I'm happy with the news. But I do have doubts. Is Pixar just going to do the same thing over, or are they going to introduce what the original got ridiculed for not having? (ie, lack of humans/people.) Doubt it, but it would be kinda cool!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 9th, 2008, 7:06 am

I'm still pretty bothered by the fact they're making a sequel to a film that is widely agreed upon as being their worst.

I guess it's all about the money after all.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 9th, 2008, 7:11 am

Sure is, Meg. Pixar are just like the rest of them...

Personally, I think it's a way to shift all the unsold toys. Shove the same product in a new box marked "Cars 2: Race To Perdition" and presto - clear profit on old stock. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 9th, 2008, 8:46 am

Wish there were more new Disney Feature (yes, I'm still going to call it that. :P) movies on the table! :?

Or at least that they're going to let us know about....(the only new theatrical one is King of the Elves?)

EDIT: Just saw Ben's comment in the other thread about the Disney features coming at Christmas after all....yay! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » April 9th, 2008, 9:14 am

I don't know how it is in jolly old England, but over here those Cars toys are huge sellers - even now. So your point still stands that Cars 2 may be about selling product, but not that they are trying to get rid of old stock on hand.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 9th, 2008, 6:16 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Wish there were more new Disney Feature (yes, I'm still going to call it that. :P) movies on the table!
Kinoo wrote:Let's not forget that Zemeckis A Christmas Carol and Tim Burton's Frankenweenie will also be Disney releases. That's pretty impressive amount of movies!
:)