New Mickey Mouse

Print, Music, Theater, Online, Games and other Merchandise
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Can Mickey Find His Mojo?

Post by harkin » September 19th, 2005, 4:22 pm

Interesting article about Disney Feature Animation's turbulant change to the CGI medium. Quotes by David Stainton (President) Glen Keane, Chris Sanders, Mark Dindal, etc...

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/artic ... 34,00.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/18/busin ... isney.html

Sounds like they have a very realistic idea of where they stand relative to themselves and the industry.
:)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 20th, 2005, 8:02 am

Funny how Keane says "let's do us" and then their first feature is described as having "pace as sprightly and assured as the great old Warner Bros. cartoons".

Confused? You will be! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by harkin » September 20th, 2005, 12:31 pm

Naw, these are two separate ideas. A sort of insider take.
Keane is talking about his vein of preferance, which is getting back to the old classic style of disney animation. How do you bring as much or some part of it over to CG?

Chicken Little is it's own brand of style being most similiar to the old warner episodes. Wacky and slap happy. I think people should give Disney some credit for the diversification of style that is present in they're current line up of films. We're certainly not getting the animated musical re-packaged again and again.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 20th, 2005, 7:48 pm

I know, I know. Just thought it was funny that the story hopped about like that and didn't clarify.

Dindal's stuff is VERY Warners heavy. Emperor's New Groove always felt like the feature length movie WB should have made, while Dindal's own WB feature, Cats Don't Dance, has some big, big nods to the Looney Tunes shorts and Hollywood features of the Golden Age.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 21st, 2005, 2:49 pm

Michael Barrier totally disses Mark Dindal in one of his worship-Brad-Bird-Pixar articles, a la The Incredibles. He uses Dindal/Bluth as examples of "mediocrity" that have been getting the kudos as opposed to the "superheroic" Bird.

I thought Bluth had great ideas and Dindal has an awesome sense of comedic timing.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by harkin » September 21st, 2005, 4:52 pm

Michael Barrier seems to have lost touch with reality too, huh? A lot of animator types both fans and professionals seem to be falling into this mind set these days. Its cool to have an opinion and all about what you like, but when you try to define for everyone else what the ultimate artistic masterbation is, ..nobodies listening. :roll: (least I'm not) Spare us your over passionate plea to claim the medium as your source of burning light Michael.

I know that sounds really negative, but come on, at some point it just becomes "sports fan" zealously. And I think if Michael really feels this way he should just committ to it. Paint a black mask on your face and wave your sponge finger in the air, chanting "BRAD,..BRAD..BRAD!!!"

:D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 21st, 2005, 5:06 pm

And it's funnier 'cause Barrier didn't even like Iron Giant! :roll:

Here's the review:

(He wrote it before Incredibles came out.)

http://www.michaelbarrier.com/Essays/Ir ... _giant.htm

Here's where he mentions Dindal:
When Mr. Incredible says, "They keep finding new ways to celebrate mediocrity," he is clearly speaking for Bird himself, a director who had to wait until his forties to enjoy an opportunity like those that came earlier to lesser talents like Don Bluth and Mark Dindal.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

GeorgeC

Mickey of a different flavor...

Post by GeorgeC » February 13th, 2007, 2:39 pm

<SIGH>

Why do the Japaneses get the coolest toys? :lol:

http://www.ncsx.com/2007/021207/runaway_brain.htm

Wish this were being released in the US.

Wish it were cheaper, too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » February 14th, 2007, 10:32 am

Whoa... that IS cool. Those lucky Japanese folks!

The part of the description that called Mickey a "rodent" threw me off for a second. Sometimes I forget. :P
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/ninja_otter/SKsignature.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 14th, 2007, 9:03 pm

That looks awesome! :)

(But what about the other "Mickey" the one that had the real Mickey? :P)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » February 18th, 2007, 4:21 am

Wicked! 8)

While I have Runaway Brain on the...brain, I thought I'd share this baby doll tee from Hot Topic that I happily own:

Runaway Brain Tee

And FYI, the animated short is on Volume 2 of Mickey Mouse In Living Color from the Walt Disney Treasures DVD collection...just in case you weren't already aware of that. ;)

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Mickey mouse, strawberry shortcake, bugs bunny get updated!

Post by gaastra » June 11th, 2008, 11:52 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/11/busin ... ref=slogin

Does mickey really need a new look?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 11th, 2008, 2:43 pm

Okay, here's a puzzling article:
The date clearly says "June '08", but Strawberry has had her '08 look for a year, Angelina B's been on PBS for two years, Loonatics has mercifully come and gone, and there's no mention of what they're doing with Mickey, even though the classic version seems to be quite CGI popular on Playhouse Disney... 0_o??

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 11th, 2008, 8:09 pm

And also this:
The New York Times wrote:It's a terrible world, and modern parents are trying to cocoon their kids as much as possible," said Alfred R. Kahn, chairman of 4Kids Entertainment, which also manages franchises like Pokémon and the Cabbage Patch Kids.
4Kids contract with Pokemon ended two years ago. Bittersweet indeed.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » June 12th, 2008, 8:51 pm

Sorry guys. Didn't know this was old.