News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 16th, 2008, 6:48 pm

Awwwe... How sad. R.I.P Stan. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 16th, 2008, 7:56 pm

WOW.... :shock: I couldn't believe it either. That's just so sad.

He's done so many of my favorite movies.....Jurassic Park being the top one. While I absolutely loved Dennis Muren's CGI, Stan Winston's robotic dinos ruled!

I'm also a huge fan of the stop-motion mechanical effects he did in Terminator 1. (I think he also directed the very scary horror movie "Pumpkinhead".)

As said, RIP Stan.....it's so sad. :(
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

George Carlin dead

Post by James » June 23rd, 2008, 2:22 am

Best known as a comedian of course but just to keep things on topic - he was also the voice of Fillmore in Cars, the narrator in Thomas the Train, the Wizard in Happily N'ever After, and a few other roles.

I was surprised how old he was - 71. RIP you %&@#%($^#*@*.

;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » June 23rd, 2008, 4:04 am

Wow. This...is sad. I'm a big fan of his (only missing a couple of his albums). I don't think the last HBO special is on CD yet, but its a shame that we won't have anything else to look forward to after that. If you want to hear some great Carlin material, give a listen to "Class Clown", IMO the best of his early, hippie-style albums. And don't forget his priceless turn as Rufus in the Bill and Ted movies. So long, old friend. You will be missed.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » June 23rd, 2008, 4:43 am

He was more than 'just' a comedian .. many of his bits -- particularly those that dealt with the (mis)use of language -- were actually quite thought-provoking. He was the personification of 'counter-culture', and I believe he was proud of that label.

He will be greatly missed. But at least we have his 'brain droppings' (his term!) to remember him by.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 23rd, 2008, 8:05 am

Very funny man. He never made so much of an impact over here in the old country, but I heard a couple of entire albums as we made our way from Boston to Buffalo once when I was in the States and from then on always took an interest when he popped up here.

Yes...thought provoking humor is the very best kind, and he was great at making that point that stayed with you long after the joke had been laughed at.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 23rd, 2008, 12:46 pm

:(
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » June 23rd, 2008, 1:23 pm

I remember about twenty years ago George Carlin was making a comeback to the comedy scene and my dad said, "Oh, I remember him from the 1950's."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » June 23rd, 2008, 8:29 pm

RIP Mr. Conductor... :cry:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: George Carlin dead

Post by Daniel » June 23rd, 2008, 9:43 pm

James wrote:...he was also the voice of Fillmore in Cars
OMG, no!! :( He was like my favorite side character. RIP indeed. :(

AV Team
AV Team

Randy Pausch ("The Last Lecture") dies

Post by Josh » July 25th, 2008, 11:53 am

Some sad news...
The Associated Press wrote:Randy Pausch, a Carnegie Mellon University computer scientist whose "last lecture" about facing terminal cancer became an Internet sensation and a best-selling book, died Friday. He was 47.
If you've never seen or read Pausch's 'last lecture,' I highly recommend you view it here. One of his dreams was to work with the Walt Disney Co.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 25th, 2008, 2:03 pm

Oh, how sad. :( RIP, Randy.

GeorgeC

Bernie Brillstein, RIP

Post by GeorgeC » August 8th, 2008, 10:50 am

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/r ... rillstein/

Obituary for Bernie Brillstein, manager of many actors and producer of film and TV.

I salute you, sir.

You were part of a rare breed and a legend.

Also, a good guy.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 9th, 2008, 2:06 am

I've definetely heard of him. It's really sad. :(
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

RIP Bernie Mac

Post by ibrmacf » August 9th, 2008, 4:20 pm

Hello all,
I just wanted to let you all know that Bernie Mac, the comedian, has died at age 50. He was playing a voice in Madagascar 2: Escape to Africa, which I guess they might dedicate to him.