Comic-Con Discussion

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 19th, 2008, 6:59 am

Hey guys, don't forget that all three of us will be at Disneyland on Monday 28 and Tuesday 29, too!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 19th, 2008, 11:47 am

And I'll still be at Disneyland on Wednesday!

Re: the train trip from LA to SD: I'll be doing that, too, as my AirMiles couldn't give me a flight to SD. I hear it's a nice trip down the coast.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 20th, 2008, 8:52 am

I'm heading to Cincinnati right now where I'll hop on a train which will take me across the country to San Diego! I have my iPhone so may check in occasionally along the way!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 21st, 2008, 2:48 am

Here's my first C-C update. Train was supposed to leave at 1:10am. It's been delayed two hours! So just sitting in this non-air conditioned terminal at 2:45am with 30 other exhausted travelers. Hopefully it all gets better from here!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 21st, 2008, 2:56 am

Or not -- they've just announced an indefinate delay of at least 30 minutes. Ugh.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 21st, 2008, 4:45 pm

Latest update... I almost missed the whole thing! Our train this morning ended up being 4.5 hours late. That train was to take us to Chicago at 10:30. From there we'd catch a 3:15 train to LA. Because of the delays getting off and more delays along the way they told us we were probably going to miss our train to LA. And the next wouldn't be for 2-3 days! Luckily we made it to Chicago - by only 7 minutes!

So now we can actually enjoy the train ride for the next couple of days! We'll be in LA on Wednesday - hopefully on time!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 21st, 2008, 5:40 pm

Talk about a close call! Good luck for the rest of the trip!

It's 10pm here and we're going to grab a couple of hours shut-eye before being up and out at 4:15 to get to the airport and check in (nearly three hours before departure!) for our 8am flight.

So...I'm jumping out of the digital world and out into the real one - see you Wednesday James! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 22nd, 2008, 8:47 am

See you soon Ben!

This cross country train to LA is much nicer than the last train that ran a regional route. Plus they're doing a much better job of staying on time. Until the dispatchers spotted a tornado ahead of us last night! They stoped the train for about an hour to let it pass before continuing on our way.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 23rd, 2008, 10:24 pm

I'll be hopping on the train at 6:00 AM tomorrow morning .. and will be there all day Thursday! As I'd said, I'll be attending the Floyd Norman panel for certain; I might 'pop in' to some earlier panels once I've managed to gather all the artist's sketchbooks on my list.

Not that it will be much use in helping you guys to 'identify' me, but: I'm a tall '30-something' guy wearing eyeglasses, and I'll be carrying a black "Rhythm & Hues Studios" shoulder bag. :idea: :?

---------------------------

Sorry to hear about your train troubles, James .. though it sounds like things did go better for you, eventually! It does gladden my heart to see two of you making use of the train to get there, though. It really is a beautiful trip along the Pacific coast.

I'd started using Amtrak to reach the Comic-Con about 8 years ago, and I've noticed a steady rise in the number of riders bound for the Con over the past 3 years .. it's much safer and far less-stressful than driving .. and the cost is very nearly the same (and is practically getting cheaper each day, when the price of gas is considered).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Booncy » July 24th, 2008, 1:01 am

Is anyone going to the Comic-Con 2008 Convention attending the special Powerpuff Girls 10th Anniversary panel? If so can you please, please, please record that entire panel event :oops: .

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 24th, 2008, 10:48 am

We got here just about an hour late -- much better than I expected! Other than the long delay to start things off the train ride was great.

Ben, Rand, and I met up for the first time. And we headed out to preview night. Loooooooooooooong line to pre-register! We spent several hours on the main floor and it was great. We met Jerry Beck from Cartoon Brew, Bill Plympton, the Rocket Johnson Disney guys, and Rand got his picture with Lou Ferrigno! Here's a couple of pics -- I'll try to post much more of them later. I'm about to head out for Thursday panels!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 24th, 2008, 2:55 pm

Sweet pics! Nice to finally match a face with a name! :)

Did you guys take pics with Jerry, Bill etc? Rand is so lucky! Hulk!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » July 25th, 2008, 1:13 am

Don't forget to take pictures at Disneyland! :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 25th, 2008, 4:05 am

Just got home from my 'whirlwind' Con trip .. I'm worn out, so I'll talk more about it later.

I guess I missed out on hooking up with you guys at the Floyd Norman panel. :( I did look around a bit at name-tags to see if I could spot one of you .. but with about 200 people in that room, and (seemingly) 100,000 people attending the Con today, I suppose it's no surprise I couldn't pick you guys out of that crowd, any more than you might've spotted me. :wink:

I did manage to gather all the sketchbooks I was after (and then some!)

And, usually (as I'd said before), I 'shun' the Hollywood studio booths .. but one display qualified as the coolest freakin' thing I have ever seen at the Comic Con:

Life-sized Owl-Ship prop from The Watchmen movie! :shock:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 25th, 2008, 8:15 am

Oh man, that thing is so cool! :)