Walt Disney Treasures

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 21st, 2008, 1:32 am

By better packaging, do you mean the paper that's qlued on the back or something else? Because aside from that, the only flaws in the recent Treasures are the lack of the wrap around band, and the tins being a little cheaper... Pretty sure nothing will change, though.

With Dr. Syn, yeah, I've just been reading on other forums that a lot of people are happy with this announcement... I'm still thinking if I have seen it or not... At the end of the film -
does the main character die or something?
That's the only thing coming to mind. :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 21st, 2008, 6:49 am

I don't think so Dan...I remember him riding off into the night with a terrifying scream, though it's <I>only</I> the theatrical cut that I've ever seen here in jolly old' England.

The packaging - the same for the last three/four waves - is likely to be the same again this year.

CONFIRMATION:
<I>Donald In Mathmagic Land</I> has now been confirmed for the Donald set!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 21st, 2008, 1:55 pm

Oooh, that's great news! Now I don't have to re-join the club to get it seperately on DVD. Yay!

Hmm, no, don't recall that, Ben... I *think* my mom has Dr. Syn on VHS, so I'll do a little searching.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 21st, 2008, 11:40 pm

Randall wrote:Never seen Dr. Syn, but I read a kids' adaptation of it (a Wonderful World of Disney paperback) years ago, and look forward to finally seeing it.
I used to like it as a kid never even REALIZING that that was "Prisoner"-era Patrick McGoohan as the Scarecrow.
That he is, can only be added coolness. 8)
Ben wrote:I don't think so Dan...I remember him riding off into the night with a terrifying scream, though it's <I>only</I> the theatrical cut that I've ever seen here in jolly old' England.
(Ahem...a terrifying laugh, believe it was?
And that, after helping our Good Heroic characters escape England to the colonies, although that's also going by theatrical-cut memory.
Donald is great, though kind of old hat by now. I have Mathmagicland on tape, so even that wouldn't thrill me (though it would certainly please me!).
Yep--Never fails:
I spent a month trading with fans on animation and Disney-park groups trying to get a Disney Club Exclusive copy of Mathmagic (okay, two, one for a math-teacher relative for Xmas), and bing...Twelve years nothing, and NOW they license it!

(Or maybe it was that sterling work we all did, helping the Disney Movie Club out with their club-exclusive "test marketing" of "lesser-known titles". Maybe now we'll see "Treasure of Matecumbe", while they're at it.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 22nd, 2008, 8:25 am

Laugh/scream...kinda one and the same, don'cha think? Whatever it was, it scared the pants of me as a nine year old!

Mathmagic Land was <I>always</I> going to be included in these sets. I have it on VHS but never even bothered trying to get an old LaserDisc as it was a dead-cert to be included when they finally reached the right date with the Donald sets.

I'd love to see some of the other exclusives come out as reasonably priced discs. Even given the wrong "Wonderful World Of Disney" badge on them, if that's what they need to get the ball rolling on bringing out a series of more obscure live-actioners (for $9.99 a piece?) then do it, I say!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 22nd, 2008, 9:26 am

Off-topic, but my own Disney Rewards prize arrived--- The Complete First Season of Zorro! Very cool. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 24th, 2008, 4:49 pm

They finally released Zorro? I hadn't heard. Cool beans. I used to stay up late to watch that on Vault Disney (why, why, why couldn't they have retained that? Dumbing down the rest of the channel wouldn't have been as bad if they had only kept the late-night-classics alive. That's a large part of why I don't even bother with that channel anymore, although I'll admit High School Musical was much better than I thought it would be).

On topic, I sadly have yet to obtain any of the treasures. I've already missed the ones I really wanted (Davy Crockett, The Reluctant Dragon, Complete Goofy, On The Front Lines, Rarities), but I'll try not to miss out on Destino and Dr. Syn sounds good too. I also have that WWOD paperback, but never got around to reading it.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 24th, 2008, 5:35 pm

eddievalient wrote:They finally released Zorro? I hadn't heard.
You probably wouldn't have--
Disney was still getting their toes into the waters of DVD, and were only "experimenting" with TV boxsets to look like One of the Gang...

Never got beyond Season 1, and then only as a test-marketed Disney Movie Club Exclusive--
(Although, in Randall's case, you can still save up your DVD boxtops for Disney Movie Rewards.) :D

I used to stay up late to watch that on Vault Disney (why, why, why couldn't they have retained that? Dumbing down the rest of the channel wouldn't have been as bad if they had only kept the late-night-classics alive. That's a large part of why I don't even bother with that channel anymore, although I'll admit High School Musical was much better than I thought it would be).

Ironically, we refer to it as "Cartoon Network Syndrome", although Disney Channel technically invented it:
Those vintage on-topic shows whom cable networks would destroy (in favor of heave-ho'ing them for that lucrative original-programming deal), they first release on DVD boxset...Then, when fans complain, "Well, why should we bother, you've already got the disks!"

You could tell when they were down to pretty much the same seven Disneyland episodes over and over.
Although I wouldn't mind seeing the 70's WDW specials get their own Treasures tin, with the Danny Kaye EPCOT opening, or the "70's Mickey Mouse Club goes to WDW to plug River Country"

(And being a parks fan, I always used to turn on Vault Disney just for that Disneyland-dark-ride opening...Amazing what you'll do for a "fix" between trips.)
On topic, I sadly have yet to obtain any of the treasures. I've already missed the ones I really wanted (Davy Crockett, The Reluctant Dragon, Complete Goofy, On The Front Lines, Rarities), but I'll try not to miss out on Destino and Dr. Syn sounds good too..
Davy Crockett did return as as a regular edition of the two theatrical movies, so they do make occasional reappearances--
Front Lines, Tomorrowland and Chronological Donald v1 also turned up for rental on Netflix...Which they usually don't, being Limited Editions, but the "Front Lines" wave had that extra surplus pressing from popular demand, they could afford to throw a few copies to the onlines.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 24th, 2008, 5:38 pm

eddievalient wrote:They finally released Zorro? I hadn't heard.
You probably wouldn't have:
Disney was still getting their toes into the waters of DVD, and were only "experimenting" with TV boxsets to look like One of the Gang...

Never got beyond Season 1, and then only as a test-marketed Disney Movie Club Exclusive--
(Although, in Randall's case, you can still save up your DVD boxtops for Disney Movie Rewards.) :D
I used to stay up late to watch that on Vault Disney (why, why, why couldn't they have retained that? Dumbing down the rest of the channel wouldn't have been as bad if they had only kept the late-night-classics alive. That's a large part of why I don't even bother with that channel anymore, although I'll admit High School Musical was much better than I thought it would be).
Ironically, we refer to it as "Cartoon Network Syndrome", although Disney Channel technically invented it:
Those vintage on-topic shows whom cable networks would destroy (in favor of heave-ho'ing them for that lucrative original-programming deal), they first release on premium DVD boxset...Then, when fans complain, "Well, why should we bother, you've already got the disks!"

You could tell when they were down to pretty much the same seven Disneyland episodes over and over.
Although I wouldn't mind seeing the 70's WDW specials get their own Treasures tin, with the Danny Kaye EPCOT opening, or the "70's Mickey Mouse Club goes to WDW to plug River Country"

(And being a parks fan, I always used to turn on Vault Disney just for that Disneyland-dark-ride opening...Amazing what you'll do for a "fix" between trips.)
On topic, I sadly have yet to obtain any of the treasures. I've already missed the ones I really wanted (Davy Crockett, The Reluctant Dragon, Complete Goofy, On The Front Lines, Rarities), but I'll try not to miss out on Destino and Dr. Syn sounds good too..
Davy Crockett did return as as a regular edition of the two theatrical movies, so they do make occasional reappearances--
Front Lines, Tomorrowland and Chronological Donald v1 also turned up for rental on Netflix...Which they usually don't, being Limited Editions, but the "Front Lines" wave had that extra surplus pressing from popular demand, they could afford to throw a few copies to the onlines.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 24th, 2008, 7:19 pm

Reminds me I must claim that Zorro set for myself...part of the reason I joined Movie Rewards!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 2nd, 2008, 5:11 pm

An email a GAC member received from Maltin:
Leonard Maltin wrote:Hi... In brief: Destino is no longer part of the Treasures series, and will be released as a single disc some time later this year. I have been told that the series will continue but I have no information or knowledge about WDHV's thoughts on adapting them for BluRay. I'm still hoping to do those educational shorts, but that depends on whether or not they like my "pitch."
As for the edited versions of those 1940s features, I share your frustration, but I have no input with the company on that front. I just feel lucky I can present the films uncut on our Treasures series!
Disappointing, but at least it will be released this year! I think it's more reasonable this way regardless, since even with the rumored bonus material, I don't think it would've been enough to warrant a 2-disc set.

Now with this, I wonder what the third "Treasure" will be, since I can't see it only being two.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 3rd, 2008, 6:58 am

I do hope the "Disney Education" set finally sees the light of day.

I also think Destino could have been a 2-disc: we have the documentary on unproduced subjects (which could still be included) as well as a possible reconstruction of what a third Fantasia might have looked like. Throw into that a documentary on how Destino was completed (highly likely for the single DVD) and something Walt-orientated from the era, and it would make a cool set.

Poor old Destino...it's gone from being a single disc short-and-doc to a Legacy Collection prestige title, then switched to a 2-disc Treasures set, and now back to a single disc! I've seen the short, but just hope this DVD release (promised since 2003!) finally makes it to shelves!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 15th, 2008, 10:00 pm

Aha, another email has answered the question of what will replace Destino!:
Leonard Maltin wrote:We have added a wonderful disc on Annette Funicello to replace Destino.
Hmm, my mom will be probably be interested, me not so much.

And a possible candidate for next years wave?:
Leonard Maltin wrote:Zorro should be coming next November, 2009.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 5th, 2008, 5:29 pm

Cover art has been made available for all three Treasures, courtesy of UD. Love Donald's!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 6th, 2008, 1:37 am

I'm really curious as to exactly what would go on an Annette set.