Updated Canon For Disney?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » August 12th, 2008, 3:29 pm

how about this. Now that Dinosaur is in, guess wich animated film will become the 50th film in Disney's canon?

exactly, Rapunzel. What film could possibly be better to celebrate and (naturally) be marketed as Number 50. than Rapunzel. King of the Elves is kind of uneventful in comparison.

My guess is this is the reason for Dinosaur's sudden inclusion. That and unlike other bastard children, Dinosaur won't fit in anywhere else BUT in Disney's canon. Because they made it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 12th, 2008, 5:03 pm

eddievalient wrote:And what was wrong with The Black Cauldron anyway?
The second Disney picture for director Richard Rich. Guess what the first one was.
Any follow-up questions? :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 12th, 2008, 9:47 pm

Wasn't that Joe Hale?

EDIT: My bad, he was the writer/producer. :oops:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 16th, 2008, 12:26 pm

Wha...?

Which films have been actually dropped then?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Hewylewis » August 20th, 2008, 7:42 pm

Why isn't the wild on there?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 20th, 2008, 8:01 pm

Because it wasn't Disney, it was produced by CORE Animation.
(Am I right in assuming they were a feature offshoot from the "Tomb Raider" game people?)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » August 20th, 2008, 8:18 pm

C.O.R.E. has several divisions; one which handles animated features, one which handles VFX for film/TV, and one which does TV commercials.

AFAIK, though, the company is not related to Core Design, the creators of Tomb Raider games. (Trivia tidbit: William Shatner was one of C.O.R.E.'s founders)

But C.O.R.E. is based in Toronto. And, while they were partnered with Disney for The Wild .. they were not a 'Disney-owned' studio; so, I shouldn't think The Wild could be considered a Disney 'canon' film. Rather, it is a closer cousin to Pixar's early features (at least, in its production model).

IMO, though .. films like The Tigger Movie (made at Disney Japan) or Return To Neverland (made at Disney Australia), which were entirely Disney-owned/operated studios, and were released theatrically .. are very much in a 'grey area', and could be considered part of the Disney Canon, by some measures. :idea:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 21st, 2008, 12:22 am

droosan wrote:C.O.R.E. has several divisions; one which handles animated features, one which handles VFX for film/TV, and one which does TV commercials.

AFAIK, though, the company is not related to Core Design, the creators of Tomb Raider games. (Trivia tidbit: William Shatner was one of C.O.R.E.'s founders)
Oh, right--I remember reading how "Wild" was going to go unscreened for critics (not a good sign), until someone connected with C.O.R.E. decided to flex some influential pressure with Disney not to give his co-owned movie the kiss of death...
Good thing that Shatner was still starring in ABC's "Boston Legal" at the time. :D