Stitch anime series

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 31st, 2008, 3:54 pm

Macaluso wrote:And so they took what I hate, and made into an ANIME. Not only did they make it into an anime, they took away the other human characters, specifically lilo, and made a dumb generic anime looking girl. god. why. I don't care that it's "Imaginary". It's stupid.
I'm going to throw out the 64-million-dollar theory here, and say that "Hanako" is essentially the Japanese Darby from "Tigger & Pooh"--
Ie., yes, Darby isn't a creation of A.A. Milne, and she was never intended to be--She's supposed to be a character on a Dora-style educational preschool series, to which purpose Christopher Robin would not serve as well.

Similarly, the Japanese are pushing Stitch to the Tokyo preschool crowd, but Hanako isn't a proto-goth Elvis-worshipping "Wierd-lo", she's just a cute island girl who reflects the Japanese image of "Cute uncontrollably overimaginative 7-yo.", which would be somewhere between Chiyo on "Azumanga Daioh", and the little girl who chased Ten-chan on "Urusei Yatsura".
Macaluso wrote:The only thing that came after the original movie that was any way decent was Stitch has a Glitch. The animation was great, and everything was a good continuation from the first movie.
My problem with the first L&S was, it wasn't about Lilo or Stitch--
It ws about Nani, which identification made us impossible to care about the Drama-Queen Brat or the Drool Monster...

The Series, good or bad, stayed on the title characters long enough to let us inside their heads, where we should have been from the beginning--
If the follow up franchise had just been limited to SHaG, that would've been okay, too, but it still felt like the whole "alien" idea was being Sanders-undisciplined thrown away in the background as much as in the first movie.
Once Upon A Dream wrote:Agree with you.
And I agree about Dr. Hamstervile,he's on the lamest Disney Villains ever.
With the painfully self-amusing Kim Possible style of Disney-TV humor, I keep expecting him to say "Or else I shall taunt you a second time!" :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » August 31st, 2008, 4:07 pm

I didn't thought that the girl from My Friends Tigger And Pooh (Darby?)is supposed to be a Dora wannabe,you"re right.
EricJ wrote:With the painfully self-amusing Kim Possible style of Disney-TV humor, I keep expecting him to say "Or else I shall taunt you a second time!" :roll:
Yeah,he can actually say it.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 31st, 2008, 4:29 pm

The only two projects I really care about in the line is the original film and Stitch Has A Glitch.

But...for those looking for the TV series in season sets, remember that Japan uses the same NTSC system and I would be surprised if the original English track wasn't present on the discs, so there is always the option of importing.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » August 31st, 2008, 4:47 pm

EricJ wrote:My problem with the first L&S was, it wasn't about Lilo or Stitch--
It ws about Nani, which identification made us impossible to care about the Drama-Queen Brat or the Drool Monster...
well I don't agree at all

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 1st, 2008, 1:11 am

Ben wrote:But...for those looking for the TV series in season sets, remember that Japan uses the same NTSC system and I would be surprised if the original English track wasn't present on the discs, so there is always the option of importing.
Yep, the original English track is on it. You could watch it in English, or watch it in Japanese with English subtitles, or so I've heard. I was actually considering importing, near Christmas time, so we'll see. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » September 1st, 2008, 3:46 am

Be aware that imported DVD's from Japan will require a 'Region-2' or 'Region-Free' DVD player in order to play in the U.S. :!: (this is not an issue for imported japanese blu-ray discs, since the U.S. and Japan are now in the same 'Region' for that format)

---------------
Daniel wrote:For anyone curious, the shows story is imaginary, as the company said in a statement. Makes me happier.
I'm pretty sure the original Lilo & Stitch feature film was an 'imaginary story', as well .. when you really get down to it. :idea: :wink:

---------------
EricJ wrote:My problem with the first L&S was, it wasn't about Lilo or Stitch--
I'm of the opposite opinion; my interest in a Lilo & Stitch cartoon (whether film, TV, or DTV) is proportionally equal to the amount of scenes featuring Nani. :P

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 1st, 2008, 7:10 am

Even with Blu-Rays, it's not worth it importing.

Most Japan-original Blu-Rays don't have English audio or English subtitles.

Anime fans hoping for subtitles are very disappointed to learn that almost no Blu-Rays are being produced in Japan with English subtitles.

Oh, and did I forget to mention they're still $20-$30 more than the American market discs? Even when said Blu-Rays are $30 (no discount at any brick-and-mortar store)?

Sure, the Disney stuff will have the English-original audio -- Japanese fans of Disney and Star Wars want and prefer the original audio in many cases --, but, gee, importing just isn't worth the hassle 99% of the time!

'Sides, most Japanese DVDs lack the extras most people come to expect on American DVDs and this has apparently not changed with most Blu-Ray releases in Japan, either.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 1st, 2008, 4:42 pm

George, I don't think they're talking about getting Stitch on Blu-ray! :)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 1st, 2008, 5:41 pm

Blu-Ray wasn't my point, Ben.

My point is that if you live in R1 there is no point in importing movies from out of country on either Blu-Ray or DVD.

The Japanese aren't in the habit of making their home videos accessible outside of Japan.

Outside of the hardware restrictions on DVD, the lack of language options for English-speakers just doesn't make importing pleasant for most people. Add to that a good $20-$30 extra that Japanese pay per pre-recorded optical movie disc.

90% of the good stuff made within the last 5-7 years still tends to make it over here in a domestically licensed R1 DVD or Region A Blu-Ray courtesy of American-run companies that understand the US market, but good luck with anything over 10 years old.

Video games are a different matter as long as you're not talking text-heavy RPGs and other games that are heavily dependent on dialogue or option boxes. Language is a big reason why the most popular import games in the States are still fighting games and action/adventure games.