Kung Fu Panda

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 19th, 2008, 2:29 pm

For some reason, that semeed to be taking four days to load before I realised you had to scroll down to see the story!

Nope, doesn't look like SOTFF is on there. I don't get the thinking over there at the ol' Glendale campus, apart from, y'know, the inevitable double dip when KFP2 comes...

But they <I>shouldn't be double dipping on Blu-ray</I>!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PULPHERO33 » September 19th, 2008, 3:23 pm

Well this just bites! Seriously who do I contact overthere to get an answer as to why they did this?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 5th, 2008, 3:38 pm

Great news for us going Blu and dissapointed "Furious Five" is not being included:
I watched "Secrets of the Furious Five" yesterday and it was worthless. Just a short for the kids teaching about patience, virtue, control and all. It is told via Po doing storytelling to young bunnies. Then at the end it tries to remind you how awesome "Kung Fu Panda" is. The bonus features are also in the same vein, such as learning to draw your favorite character from the movie.
Found in a discussion thread here. If it is true, I'm happy! We'll be missing out on something that sounds cheap and pointless, yay! :)

As far as store exclusives go, Best Buy sounds the best, offering a free Po figurine. And that's for DVD and Blu! Cheap price too, $22.99 for the Blu.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 8th, 2008, 2:33 pm

Good to hear that Secrets isn't all that impressive. Blu all the way!

Oh, boy. Does this look like a lame rip-off!!
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B001EX9 ... d_i=917972

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 8th, 2008, 2:48 pm

<I>BRILLIANT!</I>

I've actually seen this Rand, and it's better than anything DreamWorks - or Pixar for that matter - have or will even turn out!*

*portions of the above sentence may be complete fabrications.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 8th, 2008, 11:18 pm

Picked up my copy of Panda earlier today and got the free Po figure! Sure is tiny, but cute nonetheless. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Zach » November 9th, 2008, 1:38 pm

I got to go see the movie in theaters, and it was pretty good. I do want to see how The Secrets of the Furious Five turns out.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

My review of Kung Fu Panda

Post by jcvaldez » November 13th, 2008, 7:37 pm

It sucked!

The animation was great, and the designs were ok. But the story sucked.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 14th, 2008, 2:56 am

Yes, that's a deep analysis that will win you friends here... :roll:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 14th, 2008, 6:32 am

George is right, jcvaldez, and we especially didn't need a new thread to tell us that!

I've merged that comment into our <I>existing</I> KFP thread.

A more appropriately <I>proper</I> review will be up next week on the front page. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » November 14th, 2008, 3:30 pm

He's obviously unaware of the difference between the term review and opinion. :P

Would you care to elaborate on why it "sucked?"

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 14th, 2008, 3:59 pm

Ben wrote:A more appropriately <I>proper</I> review will be up next week on the front page. :)
Something improper about this one?

;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » November 14th, 2008, 7:10 pm

I enjoyed this...It was funny.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » January 27th, 2009, 2:51 pm

Secrets Of The Furious Five is getting its own DVD release, which surprises me. I figure most of the people interested in the short have already purchased it with Kung Fu Panda. Maybe Paramount is hoping folks will purchase the DVD without realizing they already own the short.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 27th, 2009, 3:22 pm

I think, also, that there could be a market for those who bought the single disc as a blind buy or a test run and ended up loving it so much that they might pick this up too. Expect a lot of disappointment in that case: while SOTFF is a more than decent <I>bonus</I>, that's all it is, and is a 10-12 minute short stretched out a little more than it needs to be. Also, those expecting a full-length video sequel won't be expecting it to end at just 22 minutes.

Of course, this could also be a ruse simply to get a BD edition out there...shame on DWs for not including it first time out. I wouldn't be surprised if a BD announcement was made soon-ish. I think DreamWorks are in serious financial trouble...they just seem to be dipping, dipping, dipping on their projects and franchises and milking them dry to silly proportions. Do they think we take them seriously? If this is in any way to try and get those who bought the BD to pick up the short, then that won't work either: for one it's only in standard def (not a BD selling point!) and second, the BD crowd is going to wait for the inevitable true BD release anyway.

And who can't see yet another dip when the real KFP2 hits theaters...and DVD...and BD...and then again... :(