Yogi Bear (live action)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Yogi Bear (live action)

Post by gaastra » October 2nd, 2008, 11:58 am

http://www.reuters.com/article/filmNews ... EW20081002

Yogi bear returns! A live action yogi film witch a cgi yogi!

I hope it's not going to end up like rocky and bullwinkle!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Yogi bear returns to the big screen--In live action!

Post by Once Upon A Dream » October 2nd, 2008, 12:55 pm

Garfield,Scooby Doo,now him?.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 2nd, 2008, 12:55 pm

Reuters wrote:The project, culled from Warners' vast library, is planned as a live-action/animated hybrid along the lines of Fox's 2007 hit "Alvin & the Chipmunks." Much of the movie will be live action, but Yogi Bear and sidekick Boo Boo will be done in CG animation.
Typical. :? I really hope there's no potty humor, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I also hope Yogi and Boo Boo look cute and themselves, but again after Alvin, I don't know. It's going to be different and I wonder what the movie could possibly explore... maybe a role reversal on "Hey There" and have Cindy missing and Yogi and Boo Boo have to save her?
Reuters wrote:"Surf's Up" co-helmer/co-writer Ash Brannon will direct the film... Brannon has worked on such Pixar hits as "Toy Story 2" and "A Bug's Life."
That gives me some hope. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » October 2nd, 2008, 1:01 pm

Oh yeah,I forgot about Alvin and the Chipmunks,it's not original anymore.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » October 2nd, 2008, 5:23 pm

godamnit why

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 2nd, 2008, 5:29 pm

Because Warner knows they can't do another Bugs Bunny franchise movie, their DC superheroes are already spoken for, and one more HB-franchise mention of Scooby-Doo (which has already been downgraded to direct-video) would have theater fans screaming for the hills.

THAT'S why.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 2nd, 2008, 6:02 pm

You have GOT to be kidding me. Do kids today even know who Yogi Bear is?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 2nd, 2008, 8:39 pm

Well, that would be the OTHER reason--
Now, maybe they'll get around to finishing the rest of those vintage-HB DVD sets, and we'll actually see Quick-Draw and Huck v2 on disk.

(It's certainly a better use of Warner-HB's time than trying to revive the Banana Splits, just because we wanted "New Adventures of Huck Finn" on disk...)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » October 3rd, 2008, 1:08 am

I wouldn't mind seeing the original Banana splits again. I loved watching the reruns when they ran on CN during the early 90's ^___^

As for Yogi.... Who is this film being made for??? I seriously don't understand why they keep making these films based on characters that today's kids don't really know, and adult fans won't really care to see in CG.

The Chipmunks may have been a hit, but I don't really see Yogi having that same appeal. :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » October 3rd, 2008, 7:16 am

I actually could see a Yogi Bear movie working, but it'd have to be animated. I don't understand all these Hollywood people who think cartoon characters work better in live-action.

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » October 3rd, 2008, 2:46 pm

I could see it work too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 3rd, 2008, 6:53 pm

I wonder who they'll cast as Ranger Smith... It better not be Jason Lee! ;)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 6th, 2008, 7:18 pm

We all getting used to this by now? Very good!

P.S. -- Yeah, hopefully this will lead to further DVD releases of Bear fans.

It's pretty much a given that there will be a home video tie-in of some kind.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » October 7th, 2008, 1:56 am

Perhaps a DVD release of Hey there, it's Yogi Bear

I wouldn't mind that...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » October 7th, 2008, 3:40 am

Hey There, It's Yogi Bear has already been announced for release on December 2nd ..

I'm with EricJ; I think a Huckleberry Hound, volume 2 DVD boxed set (which would contain as-yet-unreleased Yogi Bear short cartoon segments) would be the ideal 'movie tie-in' DVD release. :idea:

.. and (as long as we're dreaming), a Quickdraw McGraw DVD set would be awesome, too. Y'know .. because he's one of Yogi's friends! :lol:

.. more likely, we'll see releases of stuff like Yogi's Ark or Hanna-Barbera's All-Star Laff-A-Lympics DVD sets, instead. (but, who am I kidding; I'd buy those, too :oops: )

---------------

As for the movie itself: I'd agree that it's not 'necessary' .. and perhaps not something fans may have been clamoring for.

But -- while similar projects (such as Scooby Doo, Garfield, and The Chipmunks) may not be the best movies in the world -- they were respectable money-makers. Plus which, they each kept a good-sized crew of animation artists employed for a year or more. Both of these are good things (for the animation artist community).

Warner Bros has also placed Ash Brannon, a very talented director with a strong animation background, in charge of the Yogi Bear movie .. so there is actually a chance the storytelling might be good. :!: