Sleeping Beauty: Platinum Edition

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 7th, 2008, 8:56 pm

That was my situation as well, but I got lucky and just got back from buying it at Best Buy! Movie tonight, bonus features to follow.

In the meantime, here's that comparison I mentioned earlier from our own Lindsay and a review by um, Lindsay. ;)

Great comparison. It really does show how much of an improvement the Blu is, just look how sharp it is. The review was good too, with this putting my mind at ease:
Overall, the picture quality on Sleeping Beauty is just stellar. No mastering errors or compression artifacts are to be seen anywhere, contrast is perfect, and color levels are awesome. Sharp and clean, the film looks mighty fine for being almost 50 years old.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 7th, 2008, 9:40 pm

Same cover for both versions.

Free clock when you buy either 2-disc set at Best Buy.

A friend's daughter is going to get the clock that came free with the Blu-Ray set I bought today...! :wink:

Third week in a row that I've bought a movie on Blu-Ray. Godfather, Iron Man, now Sleeping Beauty (second time around on this film).

We're not really deep into the fourth quarter yet and there's a heck of a lot more to come!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » October 7th, 2008, 10:28 pm

Is there ANY reason to buy the standard def over the blu? I don't have a blu-ray player, but know the blu-ray has the SD disc. So is there any reason not to go with the blu-ray?
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by tyler283455 » October 7th, 2008, 10:32 pm

So the Best Buy version cover is just like the walmart one?

Daniel's edit:
Neal wrote:Is there ANY reason to buy the standard def over the blu? I don't have a blu-ray player, but know the blu-ray has the SD disc. So is there any reason not to go with the blu-ray?
Iy you think you will get a Blu Ray player in the future then 100% go with the Blu ray. It has the DVD anyways.

I know I'm getting a Blu ray in the future and I definitely going to by the blu ray one.
[img]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e314/joris1/ecede288.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 8th, 2008, 1:59 pm

The only reason for Neal to buy the SD over the BD, would be for that Tink giveaway. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by tyler283455 » October 8th, 2008, 3:18 pm

Last edited by tyler283455 on October 29th, 2008, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Viscountesstiara » October 8th, 2008, 5:07 pm

Yes Tyler. The same thing happened to me with the Ultimate Disney site. I've signed up so many times and I've never been able to log on. I've given up.
Patiently waiting for "The Princess and the Frog."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by tyler283455 » October 9th, 2008, 10:13 pm

I just got in. I personally email the administrator myself and he manually activated it himself.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by MrsTashlin » October 10th, 2008, 11:33 am

Hey all, been meaning to get my butt back in here, i had my boot drive crash and been trying to put that back together. I was in my local grocery store ( the name is omitted to protect the fudge up) on Saturday the 4th, and as i am leaving, there she was. Sleeping Beauty DVD. I am guessing some stock man accidentally put her out early. i about wet my pants. So i got her early. I will have to say, they really really have done her justice. the color pops, the sound is amazing, and i am actually pleased with the widescreen ratio, i am usually not a fan of it but it looks good. They really did her right, and i am almost glad i missed out on her the first time, to be able to get this, i usually dont double dip. the bonus "gift" that came with mine was a lil sleeping beauty lunch box. if any of you would like to see a pic, i would be happy to post. they put in a bunch of lil booklets, and the one thing that caught my eye, next fall, 2009 it said, they are giving the same Platinum treatment to Snow White as well. She is my other favorite, and I dont own her, so that made me really pleased as well. haven't got to goof around with any of the extras, but she looks good for having a facelift at 50. :) Post thought: I never realized that Maleficents lightning was purple before. so cool!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by tyler283455 » October 10th, 2008, 8:33 pm

Last edited by tyler283455 on October 29th, 2008, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 10th, 2008, 8:43 pm

And as Ben said, it's probably just clip art, not meant to reflect the actual cover. The version I bought from Best Buy sounds exactly like the one you explained and is not a sticker. So... they are the same.

MrsTashlin, hey, welcome back! :) I was wondering where you were, seeing as you were one of the ones who was most exited. If you don't mind, could you post a picture? I've heard other people elsewhere mentioned they got a lunch box, but no-one has supplied a picture.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by MrsTashlin » October 10th, 2008, 10:09 pm

sorry about the crummy quality, i think i need new batteries in my camera. as you can see a pic on each side, and the fairies on either end. Glad to post something...if someone has a better one, please share. i haven't used my camera in months.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 10th, 2008, 10:26 pm

Nah, that's plenty good! Much bigger than I imagined, actually. Very cute and I love the two images they used, ditto the fairies. Thanks! :)

Ps, I hid your pictures since they were a little big.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by MrsTashlin » October 10th, 2008, 10:37 pm

thanks, they were kinda big :oops: ...it has been a long day. I think besides the computer issue, my life has been running me, not me running my life. Hopefully that will change soon. I hope to be here more. Glad to help you out with an idea of what it looks like. I actually like this than what walmart was going to give as a 'gift'.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 11th, 2008, 3:34 pm

Yep, totally. And I do hope things get better for you. :)

----------

On the Blu-ray, unlike I previously mentioned, it did NOT come with a $10 rebate. However, it does come with the SD and I asked someone I know who just owns the Platinum if I could have theirs and they did! So with the rebate BB was offering (which I mailed off the next day) and this one, Sleeping Beauty did come out to around $5 for me with a with a free alarm clock. Talk about sweet! 8)

Anyway, I did watch Sleeping Beauty - twice - and I have to say it was astonishing. Truly like watching the movie for the first time. Colors pop and the backgrounds have never looked so detailed. However, I noticed a few scenes that seemed a little brighter than I remember and Maleficent was blue? I won't say it was as damaging as Cinderella's restoration, but it came close. Those nitpicks aside, the sound was perfect. I don't have a fancy surround sound system, but wow!

On the features, although we don't get everything ported, what's here more than makes up for it. The commentary is interesting, and I enjoyed the Grand Canyon segment. Haven't tried those BDlive features, I really don't want to, so can't comment.

I really, really hope Disney stays on par like this will all their Blu-ray releases... Sleeping Beauty really set the bar so let's see how Pinocchio fairs.