The Secret Saturdays...

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Secret Saturdays...

Post by Stego » October 16th, 2008, 8:55 am

...anyone watching this show?

I have some mixed feelings for it, although i overall like it thus far. The style is extremely remeniscent of The Herculoids. It has a great opening theme song and an even better villain (especially the vocal performance who is none other than Corey Burton of Clone Wars fame).
Speaking of quality vocals, Nicole Sullivan (ala Mad TV) does a phenomenal job.

Unless i missed one, there's been two eps thus far with a new one tomorrow. The lip sync seemed off here and there on the premier which was really turning me off but that didn't repeat itself in ep.2.

My big complaint with it is i feel as if i've seen it before...meaning the writing and overall storyline seems pulled from too many other things. Granted i'm aware that there is "no new things out there" but i'm of the naive belief that there is.

It's too early to tell, but this might end up being one of the more quality new productions on Cartoon Network. They need to keep the family motif going and not focus too much on the kid. Granted this is a "kid" show, but i think if they spend too much time on him, then they risk the great dynamic they have started to establish and i fear it would feel more like Ben 10 or something.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: The Secret Saturdays...

Post by Daniel » October 16th, 2008, 1:49 pm

Stego wrote:especially the vocal performance who is none other than Corey Burton of Clone Wars fame
Zomg, sold! :)

No seriously, I didn't know he was on it, cool! I forgot it already premiered, two episodes you say? Well, knowing CN they're bound to repeat them or give a marathon. I'll keep an eye out, I remember how intrigued I was by the teasers. It sounds entertaining from your review, though I'm sure to spot those complaints as well, hopefully I'm not as bothered.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Stego » October 16th, 2008, 6:51 pm

I don't know when they will repeat the first two eps, but i'm sure you can youtube them. As for new eps...they tend to play them for about 4 days. For example, this week the new one will play on the 17th, 18th, 19th, and 22nd.

I didn't mean to come off negative, i just have a high expectation from new shows because i feel as if there is a lot of garbage constantly put into the mainstream. In all honesty, i feel as if this particular show has a lot of potential, so i'm expecting a lot from it.

Let me know what you think when you're able to catch 'em.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 16th, 2008, 8:35 pm

I understand, though I don't think you came off that negative! :)

I'll try the 'Tube, since it looks like CN won't be giving any of the first episodes for a week.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Stego » October 18th, 2008, 1:21 am

Ok so last night's episode was so-so. It left me feeling as if they are still trying to decide which direction to take the show in. It was really neat having another look at one of the villains from the premiere (the writers are doing a good job with continuity while attempting not to alienate new viewers)...it also seemed as if they were alluding to another, larger plotline that should make for interesting storytelling.

Still, i'm going to watch this season through because i'm secretly hoping this show becomes a favorite of mine. At this point, it's just barely missing the mark.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Stego » November 10th, 2008, 11:50 am

Alright, so i just finished watching this past week's episode and I can honestly say that THIS was the episode i've been waiting for! They finally started to incorporate the awesome villain that is V.V. Argost. The story was good, the creatures and characters were exactly the kinds of things they should be showing, and it was fun! Imagine that!

Next week's (or rather Friday's) episode will also have Argost involved so I am really looking forward to it. Hopefully this show can keep it up!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 10th, 2008, 1:43 pm

Mixed feelings on this show veeering towards "meh" and "don't care."

I've seen two-and-a-half episodes but just can't connect with it emotionally.

This is the total opposite reaction to the first episodes I saw of Batman: The Animated Series and (more recently) Gurren Lagann.

There's just nothing new in production other than licensed home releases that I care for right now.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Stego » November 12th, 2008, 12:50 pm

I totally agree, George. BTAS hit the ground running and it seems that the whole thing was an anomaly of science!

I'm hoping the Saturdays becomes the show i want it to be, but until then i'll just keep enjoying Flapjack and Chowder (my 2 guilty tv pleasures!)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » November 12th, 2008, 5:43 pm

Yeah, I saw some of The Secret Saturdays and was underwhelmed.

Flapjack - I love this show! I accidentally stumbled on "Skooled" one day and the old world map art design was cool and I stayed and watched it. I now TiVo all the episodes. I think its funny and darkly witty!
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet