Iron Man

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Stego » October 23rd, 2008, 1:08 am

Well, if that is true, i now feel less bad about neglecting to take a photo of it!!

...still, that was indeed an excellent looking car! I found myself wanting to get behind the wheel, especially as they drove it out of the convention center.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 4th, 2008, 5:05 pm

Thanks to The Digital Bits for the following link:

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6611092.html

Iron Man is currently the top-selling Blu-Ray title to date.

No numbers released on sales figures, though.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 16th, 2010, 1:24 pm

Robert Downey, Jr. may be continuing as Tony Stark in Iron Man 3 but Jon Favreau, director of the first two films and a co-star Happy Hogan WON'T be returning...

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2010/12/15/jo ... ron-man-3/

This has been over the blogsphere but I haven't seen this mentioned in any of threads I look at here...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 16th, 2010, 3:07 pm

I was going to post this in News but didn't get to it (been a bit busy praising the new Disney docs and bashing the Fantasia "set"). ;)

Sounds interesting, though, that it will continue from the Avengers movie and not Iron Man 2. I can see why Favreau is passing, but he's staying in the Disney realm with Night At The Magic Kingdom... ;)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 16th, 2010, 4:05 pm

Ben,

I'm honestly NOT too optimistic about the future of Marvel theatrical projects.

Iron Man 2 was a serious downgrade from the first film whether it was script problems or pressure on Favreau to compete with the original when it was in many ways one big fluke. They got just the right actor at the right time and he made the title character appealing to audiences. Honestly, it's 180-degrees different in the comics where Tony Stark has been written as a creepy manipulator and has been completely lacking in the charm the character had in his best stories which were by the team of David Michelenie and Bob Layton in the late 1970s and 1980s. That comic book treatment of Iron Man has been going on for the better part of 15 years!

(I met Layton at a comic con two years back. Very nice guy and laid back! He put up with my fanboyness and signed all the Iron Man trades I brought. They were all stories he worked on! He honestly doesn't care with what Marvel has done lately with the character he worked on at least like the first film at the time I met him.)

The team stuff could be very volatile. You have all these competing egos and of course Iron Man's (Downey, Jr.) going to probably be the leader of the team.

I haven't been holding out much hope for Captain America, either, as much as I like the character. He's one of my all-time favorites...! Boy, are most of the writers today completely off-track on this character!

Where the Marvel characters could do best is in animation but so far that iconic Marvel animated series or movie hasn't been made. They've all been very generic (with the exception of 1960s Spidey) and just don't quite capture the spirit of the best comics from the 1960s and 1970s. You'd think they'd get it right with Spider-Man considering he's got all the built-in neuroses they like to portray in young adults action films today but they haven't quite gotten it right in any of the animated series done in the past 30 years!

Even the current Avengers series running on Disney XD doesn't seem all that special. It's mostly fisticuffs with no cleverness. Voice-acting is adequate but not great, and the animation is serviceable but doesn't really stand out.

Granted, the series started development and production before the Marvel buyout by Disney but it looks like it was made as cheaply as possible!

DC so far has the track record for consistency and treating the characters with respect. It's mainly because they have the right people in charge of these productions and they have passion for the characters. Granted, the direct-to-video movies have been a bit disappointing as of late but the TV production is still going strong and the series on Cartoon Network have been very good even if the current Batman team-up series is being treated like red-haired stepchild!!!

The best stuff is still DC animated shows on TV. Live-action for either DC or Marvel is inconsistent at best, fairly bad with uncomfortable consistency. I'd place my bets that the WB DC animated series will continue to be the best avenue of respectful treatment for superheroes.