Batman Begins

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » June 3rd, 2005, 12:30 pm

Supposedly, all the Batman films will be getting re-released, not only as Special Editions, but with Batman Forever getting a Director's Cut version as well.

As for Robin Williams, it is such a shame that he never got to be a Batman villain. He would have made a great one. However, he's gotten a little bit of age on him since then, respectively. Still, there are Bat-villains he could play. The Venriloquist and Scarface come to mind, with Williams being able to play both a timid, shy man (as he did in One Hour Photo) and provide the voice for a character (as he has proven himself highly capable of doing).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 3rd, 2005, 12:55 pm

The Venriloquist and Scarface come to mind, with Williams being able to play both a timid, shy man (as he did in One Hour Photo) and provide the voice for a character (as he has proven himself highly capable of doing).

OMG that was my favorite villain in the animated series!!!!!! :D :) :)

I swear "they" gave me the creeps. I think I got a nightmare from that episode. Williams would be perfect, he makes a great villain--I loved him in OHP, Death to Smoochy and especially Insomnia!!!
Supposedly, all the Batman films will be getting re-released, not only as Special Editions, but with Batman Forever getting a Director's Cut version as well.
Oh, that is SO awesome. I would love to get the Batman Forever one, with all the cut footage I heard about. (And read in the original paperback novel based on the move.)
Last edited by ShyViolet on June 8th, 2005, 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

GeorgeC

Batman Begins reviews pouring in...

Post by GeorgeC » June 6th, 2005, 11:16 pm

At least two websites, comicbookresources.com and Newarama.com, have posted reviews from online comic industry journalists who saw a sneak preview of THE COMPLETED Batman Begins at this past weekend's Wizard World Philadelphia comic book convention.

The reviews are mostly positive from the comic industry side but it still seems somewhat mixed overall when taking into account general critical reviews of the sneak peaks. There still are a ton of sneak peaks coming up through radio station programs until the national premiere at the middle of the month.

I still have reservations about this film, myself, and judging by what most people who read comics consider "great stories" I'd have to see it for myself. The best Batman I'd maintain is still the 1992 animated series version with "Mask of the Phantasm" the best Batman film I've seen, period. The live-action stuff is all pretty sad.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 7th, 2005, 9:04 am

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » June 7th, 2005, 11:54 am

I still haven't read those two reviews, but I have read plenty of other Batman Begins reviews, coming from some respected critics. All of them, except for one, were very, very positive, with many critics hailing the film as the best superhero movie yet.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 9th, 2005, 12:44 am

I am now officially jazzed about Batman Begins. The reviews sound great, and the preview shown after the Smallville season-ender looked pretty good.

BTW, the Smallville finale was awesome too!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 9th, 2005, 7:12 am

Smallville's finale sounds cool - probably about three/four weeks before we get it. We just had the one where Clark had amnesia and Chloe found out a heck of a lot, so how far off are we?

Was the Batman preview the ten-minute one that's been online for around a week now? If so, then it's sold me too, but I was always going to go, since two of the guys I'm working with on my project were stunt doubles for Ken Watanabe and Christian Bale, so I couldn't NOT say I'd seen it, right?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 11th, 2005, 12:48 am

I haven't watched the preview online, but it's likely the same as the one that aired. The early reviews, at AICN and elsewhere, are very promising, eh?

You've still got a couple episodes left to get to the Smallville finale. Be prepared for some good Superman storytelling, even if you haven't been enamored with the whole Season 4 storyline so far. It comes together nicely in the last couple of episodes.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 11th, 2005, 2:13 am

Frankly, I don't care for any of the live-action DC character stuff now. The animated shows are written so much smarter than any of the live-action stuff has been for at least 2 decades and they don't try to reinvent everything that worked so well in the comics in the first place!

Smallville's another of the Dawson's Creek/Buffy/Angel show that WB is famous for. Interesting to teens, yeah, and some comic fans, a complete turn-off to people like me who HATE it when 40-year-old writers try to write down to teens and invent teenspeak that nobody uses in real life!

I also don't care for the fact that the show uses the gimmick of a different Kryptonite-powered freak of the week. I thought genre TV should have evolved out of those cliches already!

Batman Begins is something I might pass on. Between being leery of visuals that borrow too much from the Burton films, a poorly designed Tractormobile, and the overexposed media whore, Katie Holmes, I'm just not feeling the vibes a bunch of the fanboys are on this film. I'll probably wait for it on video and rent it.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 11th, 2005, 9:41 am

You have some valid criticisms to be sure, George, but I wonder then if you've been keeping up with the show. It is ten times better now than the first half season or so. The ongoing arcs have been pretty good, even if there's too much mention of kryptonite in individual plots. The inclusion of Lois Lane this past season was too premature for sure, but there's been lots of interesting stuff with Lex and Lana, and especially Krypton-related events. I've found the show very rewarding to follow overall.

Ir regards to Batman Begins, I thought that they've done a fair bit to distance themselves from the Burton version, except for the rubber costume.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 11th, 2005, 10:27 am

I loved the idea of the first season of Smallville and it REALLY picked up in season two when Clark met Dr Swann (Chris Reeve) and they arted to insert little snippets of John Williams' themes - pur spine-tingling magic.

Then they dropped Mark Snow's lush string-led end-title score for a more plodding one that sounds more synthesized and the Williams music suddenly came to a stop.

I've kept up interest, but Smallville dropped a lot for me at that point. The whole thing with Witch Lana and the stones has me a bit baffled too, though the recent episodes have apparently thrown away the budget, since they have gone over board on production design and effects (visiting China, Clark's fly-jump onto the moving truck, etc).

But I agree Lois' intro has been early (if actually even needed, with two girls already in Clark's life) and, Star Wars style, it will make no sense when Supes turns up and Clark "suddenly" starts wearing specs!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 13th, 2005, 11:04 am

I just thought of something:

Who's doing the music for Batman Begins? Danny Elfman??
Schumacher got to do B&R himself, though it is still set in the Burton universe, like it or not
You're right, of course, I forgot Pat Hingle and Michael Gough still play their characters in that movie. (Commish. Gordon and Alfred)

Is Michael Gough still around? He was an excellent Afred.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » June 13th, 2005, 12:06 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Who's doing the music for Batman Begins? Danny Elfman??
In the early production stages of Batman Begins, it was rumored that though Danny Elfman would not be returning to score the film, his Batman theme would still be used. However, as the project clearly became the beginning of a new franchise, rather than a prequel to the old one, the idea of using the former Batman theme was dropped.

Hence, the score for Batman Begins is a collaboration between James Newton Howard and Hans Zimmer. Here is the first part of an interview with Zimmer, regarding the project: http://music.ign.com/articles/624/624382p1.html.

To hear the full musical score for Batman Begins, check out AOL Music: http://music.channel.aol.com/musicstyle ... tracks.adp. I really like the film's first theme which calls to mind bats flapping their wings to the beat of a heart.

ShyViolet wrote:Is Michael Gough still around? He was an excellent Afred.
Not only is Michael Gough still alive, but his latest role is the voice of 'Wise Old Skeleton' in The Corpse Bride.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 15th, 2005, 1:43 pm

Not only is Michael Gough still alive, but his latest role is the voice of 'Wise Old Skeleton' in The Corpse Bride.

Cool! Somehow that doesn't surprise me, if anyone can play a "wise old skeleton", Gough can do it. ('cause he's really wise, and he actually kept his dignity all through Batman and Robin. Impressive.)

:wink:

BTW, I bet he's in Corpse Bride due to his link to Tim Burton.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » June 15th, 2005, 5:00 pm

Is anyone else kind of confused at the reaction Batman Begins is getting? It seems like it is a "love it or hate it" type of film. However, it should be noted that a number of critics are giving the film bad reviews due to the movie's darkness, remarking about how it is too scary for small children. I don't think those critics understand Batman.