Winnie the Pooh (2011)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

A New Pooh?

Post by Neal » October 25th, 2008, 1:03 am

From 'Pooh' to 'Danger Zone,' Kenny Loggins has kept 'Footloose'
I'm starting on a new children's record for Disney," he said. "It's gonna tie into a new Tigger movie.
Kenny Loggins, composer of The Tigger Movie, says he's working on another Tigger film. Has anyone heard anything else on it?

I'm hoping that it'll be a traditionally animated film. The Pooh series is among my Disney favorites. There's something extra special about the animated, living stuffed-animals in such films as The Many Adventures of Winne the Pooh and Pooh's Heffalump Movie.

This new My Friends Tigger and Pooh crap is nowhere near as magical or wonderful as the traditionally animated films.

I've heard very little of this new Tigger project. I hope it's a hand-drawn sequel. That'd be lovely.
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 25th, 2008, 3:00 pm

This is the first I've heard of another Tigger movie. Interesting, if it's true. If I'm not mistaken, Loggins last movie song was from The Tigger Movie, so it would be fitting in a way. Seeing as it does revolve around Tigger, nice that Disney went through the trouble of getting Kenny again. The song he sings during the ending credits of Tigger, "Your Heart Will Lead You Home", was very beautiful and brought together the theme of the movie quite nicely.

I'm all up for another Tigger, but at the same time I wish they would've explored another character. I always hoped for an Eeyore movie, there's so much potential. And next to Pooh, he's my favorite character, so I wouldn't have minded a little character development.

Piglet got his due in Piglet's Big Movie, but it really paled in comparison to Tigger. The episodic nature, depending on stories as flashbacks. If they were so fixed on doing it that way, it would've been nice had they been all new stories, not recycled material from the "New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh". However, the best thing to come out of it was the introduction of Carly Simon. She brings something special to the Pooh franchise and I really love her voice. Big fan! :)

If this new Tigger becomes a reality, I do wonder if it will be a sequel. I would guess not, since what happened in the first movie wrapped up, there's nothing more to explore. A new original movie I do see happening, dealing with another conflict.

I too hope the medium is 2d. As we've seen, puppetry and CG just don't compare. It might interest you to know, My Friends Tigger and Pooh is canceled and will not be coming back for another season. It's a shame, since it's a good show for kids and the CG wasn't too bad. Although I could never warm up to the show, much less the new Piglet.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » October 25th, 2008, 3:10 pm

Yes, I had read about the cancellation on the TAG Blog. Can't say I minded too much. Both the puppetry and CGI versions of Pooh really missed the magic and charm. Tinker Bell actually doesn't appear so bad in CGI, they managed to work in the all the same feelings. With Pooh, it has never really seemed to work any other way than 2D.

As for Simon, I totally agree! I really enjoyed the songs she wrote, especially "Sing Ho For The Life Of A Bear"!

Hopefully we find out more soon.
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 25th, 2008, 3:28 pm

Oh, I love"Sing Ho For The Life Of A Bear", but my favorite from PBM has to be "With A Few Good Friends":

Now it's going to be stuck in my head all day! :P

You know what would be cool, if they got Simon again, and she does a duet with Loggins. That would incredible... or at the very least have them both on the film. I think it would work.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » October 25th, 2008, 3:30 pm

I was thinking that too! A Loggins/Simon duet! Simon really loves the Pooh films.

I also thought Jack Johnson would be a good fit. But that'd seem like a Curious George rip-off!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » October 26th, 2008, 1:33 pm

The Tigger Movie wasn't bad, and Piglet's Big Movie actually went back to the original books (in this case "The House at Pooh Corner") for its stories and that was a pleasant surprise. It seems, sadly, that disney has given up on releasing its old cartoon shows (one set shy of completing Ducktales, grrrr....) which is too bad because I was hoping to eventually see a set for The New Adventures of Winnie The Pooh. When will the studios ever learn to finish what they start?
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 26th, 2008, 5:58 pm

Wow...lots to comment on here!

"Kenny Loggins, composer of The Tigger Movie" - Actually, that would be the Sherman Brothers, their first Disney assignment in many years and their most recent so far. Loggins merely collaborated, and sang, the film's end credit song.

"...another Tigger film. Has anyone heard anything else on it?" - Ahh, it doesn't say he's working on an actual Tigger <I>movie</I>...just that he's working on a new <I>album</I> that will be tied to its release.

The only Tigger/Pooh movie in production right now is "My Friends Tigger And Pooh And A Musical Too", a feature-length capper to the TV show, to be released to DVD next spring. This <I>may</I> be the project to which Loggins is referring too and, if so, then you'll be disappointed to know that it's CGI animated.

It's all very funny that you don't find the Milne characters working in 3D when they started out as stuffed toys! As I've said around here in a previous Pooh/CG thread, and in my Tigger And Pooh review on the site, these characters work as good as any in CG because they were 3D models to start with. Now, I'm all for the "book illustrations" of the hand-drawn films - indeed, the Pooh films are always one of my points when I say what was great about the Xerox process - but in Pooh's case there's room for both, and the long-running franchise has appeared in many configurations over the years, from stuffed models, to animation, puppets, costumed characters (not just in the parks) and, now, CG...and bearing in mind the pre-school aims of these things, they've all worked.

Remember...this comes from a BIG, genuine fan of the original Pooh films ("Many Adventures", "Tigger Movie" and some of the bettwe "New Adventures", but not so much the endless TV-quality features) who was also genuinely surprised by the quality of the Tigger And Pooh series. It's not aimed at everyone, but as someone involved with a prior educational kids series, what they've done with it is actually very clever and charming.

Back to Loggins...I hope too that there's a new traditional Tigger movie in the works, but I wouldn't hold my breath. From what I understand, the Mouse is pulling back from the Pooh business to build up some need for new content. On the other hand, a new Tigger movie - by the time it comes - might be the thing they're betting on to kick-start things again.

I guess we'll know in the spring, if Kenny Loggins' name shows up on "My Friends Tigger And Pooh And A Musical Too", or if this album comes along around then. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » October 26th, 2008, 7:01 pm

Well I guess I misinterpreted it - but I wasn't the only one. I've seen other discussions about a possible new movie because of this interview.

As for calling him the composer...more of my misinformed idiocy. :(

Yes, they began as stuffed animals but the way the whole world came to know them was through the books and the book illustrations and the 2D captures that so beautifully. The CGI loses that.

Where'd you hear they were pulling back from Pooh? I read this article but it seemed merely speculative on the issue.

I hope they aren't. It may just be my favorite Disney series/cast of characters.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » October 26th, 2008, 7:36 pm

I'm trying to figure out how to get all the Pooh shorts/featurettes. I know the first three Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree, Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day, and Winnie the Pooh and Tigger Too are what makes up "The Many Advntures" and on the DVD is a fourth short, A Day of Eeyore.

Then in the 90s they made four more shorts/featurettes - Winnie the Pooh & Christmas Too!, Boo! To You Too! Winnie the Pooh, A Winnie the Pooh Thanksgiving, and Winnie the Pooh, A Valentine For You.

Let me get this straight about how to get them on DVD...

Christmas Too! is part of the 'film' "Winnie the Pooh: A Very Merry Pooh Year". Is it cut down in any way or is it all in-tact?

Boo! To You Too! is the middle portion of "Pooh's Heffalump Movie". Again, was it at all edited down or changed except for the bumpers on each side?

Thanksgiving is part of the 'film' "Seasons of Giving". Same question - was it changed at all?

The final short/featurette - Valentine - was never made a part of another 'film' the only way to get it is on a DVD where the featurette remains separate from any additonal material to make it film-like. That DVD is called "Winnie the Pooh - Un-Valentine's Day/A Valentine for You".

Is this all accurate?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 26th, 2008, 8:17 pm

Fairly.

BTW, "Winnie The Pooh And A Day For Eeyore" was Disney funded, but actually animated out of house (not the first or last time Disney would use another animation studio to animated their characters!).

You also forgot the educational short "Winnie The Pooh Discovers The Seasons", which hasn't been made available in any format outside its 16mm release.

Frankly, I can't start getting all obsessive about Winnie The Pooh...apart from the original films, the recent stuff has been franchising to the extreme, with only The Tigger Movie remaining faithful to the ideals and Xerox process that the Pooh films look best told in. The 1990s specials were just that: special episodes from The New Adventures series dressed up on home video.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » October 26th, 2008, 9:27 pm

Okay. I do like the classic works better but don't think Heffalump was bad at all.

I just wondered how to see the four 'specials' of the 90s.

After the puppetry of 'Welcome to Pooh Corner' people said the 90s featurettes were refreshing and compared them closely to the original four featurettes.

So I wanted to figure out how to get them other than their VHS releases (which I commonly see at Goodwill).

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » October 27th, 2008, 7:35 am

Nice, I love the first Tigger movie too!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 1st, 2008, 5:53 pm

Found this on The Tigger Movie page on Wiki:
Sequel
In an October 2008 interview, Kenny Loggins said that he is working on a children's record for Disney that will tie into a new Tigger movie.
So looks like we're not the only ones who got that idea. Although with the aformentioned Friends DTV "And a Musical Too" in the offing and having Muscial in the title, I'm thinking it's referring to that. :( If it is, I hope they're good songs

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 7th, 2009, 11:24 pm

Well, turns out Ben was right. The movie Kenny Loggins was referring to in the interview was in fact "My Friends Tigger, Pooh and a Musical Too" boo. :(

He sings the music video "Underneath the Same Sky" on the DVD. Here's a sample. Pretty good! I hope this airs on Disney Channel soon, wouldn't mind giving it a watch. I saw the Christmas DTV around December and thought it was pretty cute. My favorite part had to be when Santa asks Eeyore ""Eeyore with your nose so gray, how'd you like to pull my sleigh?"

Of course I kept getting distracted whenever Piglet talked. I hate criticizing him and I know the voice actor is trying, but it just sounds so fake. Like he has a cold. I was hoping since the new VA had more time to get comfortable in the role it would sound more natural, but I really didn't hear much of a difference between the "Super Sleuth Christmas Movie" and the first few episodes. I hope with the hiatus (however long that might be!) he can practice a little bit more. Not really picky, since I'm a-OK with all the other replacements Pooh has had throughout the years, although when they changed narrators I was a little irked. But I think he came back, so yeah... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » April 7th, 2009, 11:28 pm

Aww shoot. Didn't have too much hope, but it would have been nice!