The Haunted World of El Superbeasto

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Haunted World of El Superbeasto

Post by Darkblade » November 1st, 2008, 7:28 pm

A new adult cartoon is coming to 2009...It was to be the theaters but however unknown reasons got it on Direct-to-video....

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 1st, 2008, 9:12 pm

Hmmm.....

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » November 1st, 2008, 9:24 pm

Here's what i found about the film

The film follows the adventures of El Superbeasto , a washed-up Mexican luchador, and his sultry sidekick and sister Suzi-X as they confront an evil villain by the name of Dr. Satan . The adventure, set in the mythic world of Monsterland, also has a character named Murray the robot .

Its based on a comic book{this has to be the first movie thats animated based on an adult comic book since Fritz the cat}

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » November 2nd, 2008, 5:23 am

I like Rob Zombies other films (especially The Devil's Rejects), so I'm looking forward to this one. Too bad it's been downgraded to a DTV, though.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 2nd, 2008, 8:26 am

Darkblade wrote:this has to be the first movie thats animated based on an adult comic book since Fritz the cat
I'm sure that's not true.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » November 2nd, 2008, 9:07 am

Ben wrote:
Darkblade wrote:this has to be the first movie thats animated based on an adult comic book since Fritz the cat
I'm sure that's not true.
Well thats Just theroy Ben, then there's that Grass roots flick.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 3rd, 2008, 1:28 am

No need to quote a message when you're replying directly to it, DB.

On your comment, though, I am now lost.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » September 8th, 2009, 4:54 am

The Haunted World of El Superbeasto is available on most 'Pay-Per-View' and 'Video-On-Demand' networks in the U.S., as of today.

I just finished watching it. It's worth a $5 download, I guess. You'll probably note that that's not exactly a 'ringing' endorsement .. :roll:

The styling is fun to look at; especially the backgrounds. The animation itself is kinda 'hit-and-miss' .. the framerate seems to actually change 'on the fly' (as it were). As for the humor .. it's pretty standard 'Spike & Mike' festival fare. Which can work well (sometimes) in 7-minute doses, but somehow doesn't seem as 'fresh' after 90-minutes.

There's (IMHO) only a couple of really 'standout' sequences ..
Otto's explanation of Dr. Satan's evil plan (in the style of a Schoolhouse Rock video), and a motorcycle chase scene set to an 'Archies/Josie'-style pop song with hilariously descriptive lyrics. A lot of guys might also get a charge out of the 'catfight' toward the end. :wink:
Aside from those, there are some nifty 'bits' of business scattered throughout the picture that are genuinely fun -- most of them involving Doctor Satan. I found both El Superbeasto and Velvet Von Black to be largely 'unlikable' as characters (although that may be the point) .. while Suzi-X constantly seemed to be in a whole different movie than everyone else.
Unfortunately, however, the ultimate outcome of Doctor Satan's scheme is 'telegraphed' well in advance -- and, even though El Superbeasto himself makes 'fun' of this, it still makes for a less-than-satisfying climax, IMO.
All-in-all .. The Haunted World of El Superbeasto is firmly in the 'Ralph Bakshi/Spike & Mike' mold: 'adult' only in the most 'childish' sense of the term. But still kinda fun .. if you're in the mood for this sort of thing. :twisted:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 12th, 2009, 11:01 pm

This...just doesn't look or sound like my kind of thing.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » September 12th, 2009, 11:31 pm

I'll see it because it's Rob Zombie and I've enjoyed his other films immensly (although I'm not a big fan of his music. I think he should have turned to filmmaking 20 years ago at least).
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » September 19th, 2009, 6:59 pm

Just finished watching the DVD. Holy smokes that's the craziest series of adult-rated imagery imaginable for an animated feature. I'm just sitting there, watching with complete disbelief that Rob Zombie and Tom Papa came up with all of this. Like Peter Jackson's "Meet The Feebles" and the comic book one-shot "The Pro," it needs to be seen just once so that you could see for yourself what managed to get produced. It's the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » September 23rd, 2009, 2:05 pm

I sprung for the DVD edition of The Haunted World of El Superbeasto, yesterday (It's not something that really 'demands' a hi-def experience, IMO).

There's quite a lot of deleted/alternate scenes in the bonus features. :shock:

Some of them -- like a couple of alternate 'narrated' opening scenes -- helped to make 'sense' of sequences in the released version that had left me scratching my head. Several are definitely better left on the cutting-room floor, yet are in an alarmingly 'finished' state .. indicating that they'd remained in the movie until almost the last minute.
The complete 'catfight' scene is presented with an alternate instrumental score .. which, IMO, works much better than the silly (and somewhat sloppy) comedy-lyrics which accompany that sequence in the released version.

There's also an extended version of Velvet Von Black's nightclub performance, featuring an astounding number of clever gags that probably should have been left in.
As for the feature itself, I watched it again .. and my opinion remains the same: it's fun, but uneven; 'shocking' perhaps only to those who have never been to a Spike & Mike festival .. but wholly appropriate for the type of audience that those festivals attract.

I think the marketing/release strategy for this project has been quite brilliant, actually. :idea: But I doubt that I'd be interested in a sequel.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 23rd, 2009, 2:29 pm

It's pretty cheap on DVD. Selling for $15 at most places.

I agree about hi-def on this.

Given how most animation is done on the cheap with flat coloring to save costs, Blu ray really won't enhance the image that much.

Blu ray will really only help Disney animated features and the theatrical shorts made between the 1930s and early 1950s. That style of animation in the Golden Age would benefit because of the visual subtleties and extra effort put into the coloring.

Blu ray really won't do a darn thing for most television animation or the animated features made for under $5 million in most circumstances.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by OriginalGagBonkers » September 27th, 2009, 10:05 am

Wow this was probably the most screwed up animated film I've ever seen in a long time. Oh and when's the site going to review this crazy movie?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 27th, 2009, 1:35 pm

I don't think we got in a review copy for the site, and I don't think any of us have picked this up. Personally, I'm very curious, but don't know that I want to spend money on the DVD. As for the site, we generally focus on family-appropriate fare, though there have been exceptions (mostly when we get in a review copy of something). And, with so many titles coming out, and only so much time in a week to write reviews, we have to prioritize. So, we may not be getting to this one.