New Mickey Mouse

Print, Music, Theater, Online, Games and other Merchandise
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Mickey mouse might not be owned by disney!

Post by gaastra » August 23rd, 2008, 8:52 am

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/disney/la-ti ... -copyright

The kings of sueing everyone for using mickey my not even own mickey!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 23rd, 2008, 11:55 am

As noted in the article, this is not really a new story. I even wondered about it myself when I saw the title card copyright notices on the old laserdisc set of the first Mickeys. But even if Steamboat Mickey is in public domain, Disney still owns the trademark, and most of Mickey's likenesses since then. It may be that his older likeness may be available for others' use. But no one can label anything as "Mickey Mouse", due to Disney having the trademark. So, Disney does own "Mickey Mouse", but maybe not his early likeness.

American_dog_2008

The Search for Mickey Mouse

Post by American_dog_2008 » November 3rd, 2008, 2:24 pm

The Search for Mickey seemed to have been released in 2004, but now there is trouble about a 2012 release! :D

http://boards.disneysites.com/showthread.php?t=8602

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 4th, 2008, 7:42 am

Not sure your headline makes sense, AD08! Can you clarify? "Had to stop"?

The Search For Mickey Mouse was going to be a big theatrical feature starring many of the Disney characters. I understood it was going to come out this year for the 80th Anniversary of the character, but kept being pushed back.

That the film is back on is intriguing, but that link seems to only lead to a closed forum. Can you remember what was said? Is this theatrical? Direct to video? 2D? 3D?

If it is happening, 2012 sounds realistic at least. Here's hoping - it sounded like a fun concept. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » November 4th, 2008, 12:05 pm

It certainly did. If it is back on, it would indicate that John Lasster's "no sequels" policy could have exceptions if the project were worthy (not that it would count as a sequel, but you get what I'm saying).
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » November 4th, 2008, 3:19 pm

John Lasseter seems to be ruining the Disney company.... This sounds cool. But chances are slim...I mean according to the list on upcoming disney films on wikipedia it seems unlikely...Even of course for a second roger rabbit movie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » November 4th, 2008, 6:12 pm

And besides the link is not working...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 4th, 2008, 10:37 pm

To clarify, the forum that AD posted a link to is going through some massive changes at the moment. You now have to be a registered user in order to view content there.

And as a member of the board, I can say the the thread in question is VERY old. All of the news posted there was from about six years ago.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 5th, 2008, 8:24 am

Thanks WP...kinda thought it would be something like that.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » November 5th, 2008, 2:48 pm

I never liked the idea anyways. I don't like "House of Mouse" that much - mixing characters and worlds seems ... well the word is too strong but blasphemous is along the lines of how I feel about it. I see each of the classic films as their own little universe, you shouldn't cross them into each other's worlds.
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 5th, 2008, 6:16 pm

What, like they do at the Disney parks!? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » November 5th, 2008, 7:48 pm

Anyone a member of that site to get info?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » November 5th, 2008, 10:55 pm

To Ben: It still feels different. Besides the walk-around characters, each ride, attraction, what-have-you is in its own respective area so it still seems separated. In 'House of Mouse' they feel drawn together...literally.
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 6th, 2008, 12:51 am

Bwahahahaaha!

As if Disney's lawyers are going to let ANYBODY but the Disney Corporation/Capital Cities/ABS (intentional misspell) use the Mouse to make money!

Don't kid yourself, folks...

Disney once sued a preschool for not getting permission to paint Disney characters on a wall!

Copyright law be darned... Big company lawyers can make your life miserable if you're not smart.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 7th, 2008, 1:10 pm

I winked for a reason...