The Flintstones - The Complete Series

Small Screen Specials, Series and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 15th, 2008, 10:19 am

I'm pretty much a lock in for this.

I don't need it at all, but it's just so comprehensive and limited that I can't pass it up.

Hey...wonder if we can get a screener... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 15th, 2008, 2:55 pm

That would be cool, let's hope!

As for me, I'm right now about 90% interested in this. Depending on what those 4.5 hours of bonus material will be, and if it will be released individually or not, will be the deciding factor. It's looking like yes anyhow, since as you say, it's so comprehensive and limited... not to mention gorgeous! Time will tell. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 17th, 2008, 1:57 pm

Not bonus features, but new and improved pics of the outer packaging. Okay, that's a downgrade for me. :( Seriously, it looked much better with the "rock-like" surface, now it just looks like a toy. Here's a comparison:
Before:

After:
It's still cool, but yeah...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 17th, 2008, 2:31 pm

Well...

The original package was never going to be anything other than rock-printed plastic, so I guess they just went with a single color instead of a pattern. I wouldn't call it orange...it's still rock-ish.

However, I don't like the switched image on the "set" itself...<I>unless</I> they're playing a cool lenticular trick so that it blends from the original image to the new one. The background doesn't seem to have changed, so it's possible, but if it's a straight switch for that image <I>instead</I> of the classic family in the car shot, then that's a shame.

Actually, the more I look at this, the more I'm starting to um and ahh. Do I really need this? Especially now it's not quite so cool looking? Just seeing the box on its own without the book style cases really shows up how pretty plain this now looks. Really, they need to include the Pebbles And Bamm-Bamm set and the Man Called Flintstone at the very least to make this complete, with any specials they can pull together.

I dunno...I'm with Dan here...it's lost a lot of luster...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 17th, 2008, 3:30 pm

Indeed, very dissapointing. :( With the image, yep it's lenticular. One of the reasons for my initial exitement for the set.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 5th, 2008, 7:40 pm

Can't wait for your review on the set, Ben! Very cool it actually came, guess my hoping helped? ;)

Ever since its release last week, I've been eying discussions on the set hoping to finally get an answer on the bonus features and still nothing! A few people have speculated that perhaps those of us who thought it was new, exclusive material, were reading too much into it. Apparently the "4.5 hours of bonus material" is all the individual season sets bonuses added up. If that is the case, that really, really stinks. Not only did Warner not set records straight when TSoD initially reported it, but it's a worthless double-dip.

Depending on your review, if nothing new or exclusive is included, I'm sadly passing. Which is a major shame since I really was looking forward to this, even planning on getting it for Christmas. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 5th, 2008, 8:10 pm

Sadly, Dan, there's nothing new. Not one extra: these are the <I>exact</I> same discs as anyone who has the six sets already has.

I'm happy to have the show, and the box is "fun", but a part of me kind of prefers the vinyl slipcased digipacks of before: the lenticular TV box is "showcase packaging" as I will say in the half-written review, but the book wallets inside are not the greatest: they look nothing like the book pages in the original ad materials, and the "cut outs" in the pages to help pull them out are not there...you literally have to slide your finger or thump between the "pages" to pull a disc out - tricky with the few double-sided platters.

I was hoping at least for some new extras: even shoving an extra token new disc with either the 1966 feature or even better the LaserDisc extras, would have been enough to tip some fans over the fence. Rand's supplied me with a list of the supplements from the six season sets, and they match pefectly with what's here.

So...it's nothing more than a decent way to pick up the entire 166 episodes in one shot, and at a fair deal, but you'd have to be a priiiiiity big fan to spring that much for a plastic box.

There...saved myself a review! ;)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 5th, 2008, 8:24 pm

You don't sound like much of a 'Stones fan, Ben!

I mean, for guys pushing like 70 Mick and Keith really work hard. Ya know they don't have to do it, what with their senior discounts and social security ----

Wrong 'Stones?

Seriously, though, these complete series sets don't seem that hot to me.

I checked out the Complete Batman set which came out this week.

Glad I got the individual boxes and I can do without the "extras" artbook they put in. I have so much development art, the Batman Animated book, and Bruce Timm pin-ups that the book is a non-necessity.

'Sides -- Best Buy is running a special on all three sets of Batman Beyond: The Series this week. Each box runs $14.99 INCLUDING the Second Season set that has 26 episodes. Definitely a good week to get the second season if not all the Batman Beyond sets.

Flintstones is something I might collect a season or two of, but the Complete Series set seems like overkill...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 5th, 2008, 8:26 pm

Oh well, thanks for confirming, Ben. :( If nothing else, I'm at least saving money because of this. But wow, I'm shocked the cut outs aren't there... I can imagine what a pain it is. I'm very relieved I'm passing now! I'll just get the three remaining seasons I'm missing when they're on sale again.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 9th, 2008, 12:19 am

Here's a review that has some pictures... just like I imagined. It's pretty bad. And I hate that orange color. Also, here's another review that contains a picture of how The Complete Series looks on a shelf in comparison to the season sets. I didn't think it would be that big. No competition, as far as I'm concerned. Still, I love the lenticular image, wish we could get that by itself! :)

BTW, Ben, did the set come with any lithographs? I don't know about Season 4, 5 and 6, but Season 3 came with a mini litho of when Pebbles was born. Cool collectable!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 10th, 2008, 11:46 pm

Nope...what you see is what you get. :(

Hopefully my epic review, millions of years in the writing (and going to be quite a few in the reading, too), will cover things as much as they can be:

http://animated-views.com/2008/flintsto ... ollection/

As always...let me know of any <I>glaring</I> errors, but I'm all Bedrocked out! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 11th, 2008, 10:25 am

Got ya covered! ;) Look for a PM.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 11th, 2008, 2:58 pm

Probably what I found, so I shall wait.

Great review as always, Ben. Epic indeed, longest review I've read on the title. Totally rocked!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 11th, 2008, 6:00 pm

Thanks Dan!

Randall went in and made some fixes...so now I need to go through and update my text document...arrrrgghhh!! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 11th, 2008, 8:16 pm

Um... you're welcome?

;)

Seeing your review and others, I'm quite content with the original releases. I just got the Batman: TAS box though, and am definitely glad I did.