Peter Jackson's King Kong

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Update on King Kong (1933) DVD from DigitalBits.com

Post by GeorgeC » March 16th, 2005, 11:45 pm

Here's a possible reason for WHY the original version of King Kong has not come out on DVD yet --

(from theDigitalBits.com)

"in the 'around the Net category', Noel Murray of The Onion A.V. Club has just posted an excellent 3-part DVD feature comprised of interviews with Warner's Feltenstein, Home Vision's Lee Ferdinand and Something Weird Video's Mike Vraney. It's a great read, with lots of interesting information. Included in the Feltenstein piece is word that Warner has just gotten their hands on a high-quality element of the original King Kong from Europe (apparently the main reason behind the delay of the film's highly-anticipated DVD release)."

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 16th, 2005, 11:46 pm

It sounds like a GOOD ENOUGH reason to me for WB Home Video to delay this film...

Get the possible print in existence, guys! I'll wait another year for the best-possible standard DVD release of the film...

(I stilll think WB will release the original Kong around the same time Peter Jackson's remake arrives in theaters.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 19th, 2005, 3:17 pm

AV Team
AV Team

Official KING KONG thread

Post by Josh » June 6th, 2005, 10:26 pm

Coming Soon indicates that the trailer for King Kong will debut with War of the Worlds, while the trailer will also hit online on Tuesday, June 28th.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/topnews.php?id=9904

Is anyone else as excited as I am about this news?
Last edited by Josh on June 7th, 2005, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 7th, 2005, 8:56 am

Cool!!

Let's keep our KONG discussions going in here please! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 7th, 2005, 6:13 pm

The fact that Peter Jackson is directing it has me hyped up already!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 7th, 2005, 11:22 pm

You just know the god-awful DeLaurentis' King Kong films will rear their ugly heads again!

Yes, you heard me right -- the late 1970s King Kong remake starring Jessica Lange and Jeff Bridges and its sequel, King Kong Lives! , will definitely be re-released around the time of the original King Kong's debut on DVD as well as the latest remake's box-office bow!

Hopefully, we'll see some of the other better ape films show up on DVD, too. I wouldn't mind seeing the original Mighty Joe Young and Son of Kong on DVD, too.

The DeLaurentis' films should be avoided at all costs... :cry:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 8th, 2005, 8:16 am

The DeLaurentis/Guillerman version has Jessica Lange! ;)

Have you ever seen the close-to-three-hour original cut, George? It actually makes for a much better film, though the effects (Rick Baker in an ape suit) are still rather lame.

Still, it has that gawp factor that King Kong Lives certainly doesn't have, and I agree in avoiding that completely. Hopefully, though, and if we do get new releases for these, they will put out the longer cut or at least plenty of deleted scenes.

WB is working on the other Kong-related films for release. There seems to be talk of issuing Son Of Kong and Mighty Joe Young on a double-bill disc, though wasn't there a Mighty Joe sequel as well?

1933's King Kong is still on track to come out on DVD around the same time as the Jackson version: Spring/Summer 2006.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » June 8th, 2005, 11:17 am

Ben wrote:wasn't there a Mighty Joe sequel as well?
I don't think there was a sequel, but there was the 1998 Disney remake.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 8th, 2005, 12:45 pm

I thought the original King Kong DVD was coming out around the same time as the Jackson remake...?

Man, WB has made people wait forever for that film on DVD!

They oughta just tie it into the new film's release and get it out already...!

I understand they had to search film archives all over the world to compile the best possible version since the original negative disintegrated eons ago, but this waiting has gotten ridiculous!

I definitely want to get the other 2 B & W Kong follow-ups, though.

Gonna skip the '98 Mighty Joe remake even if it does star Charlize Theron.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 8th, 2005, 1:39 pm

I saw the Disney remake again recently, and apart from a lack-lustre second half, it's not a bad family movie, and I LOVE the RKO logo at the beginning - class.

I guess Son Of Kong is the "other" Joe Young movie I'm thinking about. I've never seen it, but love Joe Young, so maybe I'm getting those confused. Swear I saw another film related to Joe Young at some point though.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Uli » June 11th, 2005, 7:20 am

Last edited by Uli on May 25th, 2007, 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 11th, 2005, 9:07 am

Yes, the drums! Coolest retro Studio opening ever.

I believe that Howard Shore will be scoring Kong.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Uli » June 13th, 2005, 3:57 am

Last edited by Uli on May 25th, 2007, 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Uli » June 14th, 2005, 4:17 am

Last edited by Uli on May 25th, 2007, 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.