The Nightmare Before Christmas

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by MrsTashlin » June 12th, 2008, 6:48 pm

has anyone seen a solid release date on this yet?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 12th, 2008, 11:18 pm

Check the link above. It was announced at the end of May for August 26.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 12th, 2008, 11:30 pm

August 26 2008.

No, I don't get it either.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 24th, 2008, 4:26 pm

Here's a picture of the Limited Edition - Ultimate Collector's DVD Set:

Pretty cool, but not enough to get personally. Amazon currently has it for pre-order at $125.99 and features more pics of the Jack Bust!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » July 26th, 2008, 5:03 pm

Oh,that's really neat :D.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 3rd, 2008, 5:23 pm

Oh, I'm quite disappointed, actually!

Thank-goodness...a lot of cash I won't be laying out and I can get the Blu-ray without thinking twice.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by tyler283455 » October 2nd, 2008, 7:54 pm

I don't know about any of you guys, but I really love the Blu ray cover for this movie. This is on of my favorite animated christmas movies.
[img]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e314/joris1/ecede288.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 31st, 2008, 9:28 pm

Our full review is finally up...just in time for All Hallow's Eve...!

http://animated-views.com/2008/the-nigh ... s-edition/

:)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 31st, 2008, 11:40 pm

They have tons of those limited edition Nightmare Before Christmas DVD sets still lying around all over Columbus. I bet they end up on sale online for 60-75% off before they're sold out.

It's just not worth $150 (nobody's selling it for $180) for an oversized bust of Jack Skellington.

By far the best-looking and most sensible release was the deluxe DVD release with the 3-D steel(?)-cover of Jack.

Oh the slipcase on the Blu-Ray cover has the same image embossed, but the DVD has by far the nicer case... :cry:

Still waiting for Disney to release a decent Blu-Ray alternate casing.

It was done for Iron Man!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 1st, 2008, 2:59 pm

All mostly points I covered in the review George! :)

As I said, who's going to pay upwards of $140+ for that bust edition when the standard DVD looks so nice? Don't go looking for a decent BD box though...we know direct from Disney that what is out there is it. I believe they are going to give it another push for Christmas though...

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 11th, 2008, 10:44 pm

Who's gonna buy a deluxe edition now for Christmas?

I think everybody that wanted the Skellington bust has it now!

(FYI, all I'm asking Disney Home Video for is a neat 3-D release metal case like the DV edition had and what many people saw for the Iron Man DVD AND Blu-Ray releases. That's simple. Practically every other studio has done steel/metal cases for at least DVDs! Why's Disney being cheap on packaging all of a sudden?)

The economy is in a dumpster and I'm even asking people to be cheap on gifts this year! I think spending over $100 for one film on DVD is ridiculous.

I don't expect much from family members and I suspect that Jack Skellington is a luxury item most people can do without.

I've been thinking for a while that most of these deluxe statue/bust/toy exclusives are a joke! I see tons of them hanging around the aisles in the stores that stock them (Best Buy, FYE, etc.) and they don't seem to move.

I buy a lot of anime and have mostly been successful staying away from these ridiculously overpriced sets that T-shirts, manga, and other things I can live without. Especially when the regular DVD is over $30 cheaper!

I sometimes wonder if they studios know WHO they're sellling movies to???

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 12th, 2008, 9:45 am

$100 on one film...I miss the deluxe LaserDisc days... ;)

I just wish studios would make the deluxe packaging available on BDs...these are the audiences that was the best sound, pic, extras and packaging, and yet IF you want the fancy on the shelf look they only provide it for standard def DVD. :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by David » November 12th, 2008, 2:45 pm

Precisely why I threw a hissy fit over the UK Sleeping Beauty only having the book with the DVD! BVHE morons!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » November 12th, 2008, 5:40 pm

Sometimes Deluxe sets can be cool. There was a deluxe Spirited Away DVD that had a model of the bath house with it. I would have gotten it but it's rare now.

Usually, however, Deluxe/Collector's/Special/Whatever DVDs aren't that much better to merit a purchase.
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet