Random questions

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » April 16th, 2008, 2:07 pm

No probs with me as long as we're not talking bootlegs. Maybe a single thread in the Home Entertainment category for all trade talk?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 16th, 2008, 3:47 pm

After speaking to David, it's something of a gray area which might be better left at this stage. As in, some of what's being suggested is not exactly commonly found or out of print material. I'm helping him source a copy of something that <I>is</I> legitimate, but things could quite easily go "off the rails" with those less honest if this became anything more routine. I can see why other forums either outlaw this entirely, or at least police things to the extent that all trades must be "approved". Not sure we want to really go into that?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » April 16th, 2008, 4:32 pm

No probs. i assumed we were talking about a simple straight up trade situation, not something more complex! And speaking for myself I don't want to deal with anything more complex - we've got enough on our plates running this place!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 16th, 2008, 6:59 pm

Exactamundo! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Production Design

Post by PatrickvD » November 18th, 2008, 2:53 pm

hey hey!

I'm in my last year of arts college with illustration as my major and for a paper/essay I'm doing research on production design. So basically anything that covers storyboarding, conceptual artwork etc etc.

I already own the book Dream Worlds: Production Design for Animation, but would like much more information.

So my question is does anyone know any great books, websites, blogs etc that cover these things. It can also be for live action productions.

Thanks in advance!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » November 18th, 2008, 5:30 pm

I guess that "The Alchemy of Animation" by Don Hahn is supposed to be really good.
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » November 21st, 2008, 10:37 am

Haha you're situation sounds like mine (Illustration major with a love of animation, if I read your thing right ^.~), good luck with your paper!

I have a few suggestions but they aren't that detailed but they are interesting books.

check out

Prepare to Board! Creating Story and Characters for Animated Features and Shorts: Nancy Beiman (she was one of my professors, very hard working and knowledgeable)

Don Bluth also has two books out, one on Storyboarding, and one on the art of Animation Drawing (they are both available on Amazon)

For concept art I have no clue, if you find a good reference let me know. There is a concept art forum but I forgot the url. Or you can check out art books for films, chock full of concept art.

sorry I'm not that helpful, good luck on your paper! If you find any good research out there let me know. I would like to know more as well on the topic. ^.^
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » November 21st, 2008, 11:23 am

I think one of the best books on animation is The Illusion of Life: Disney Animation, by Ollie Johnston and Frank Thomas.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » November 21st, 2008, 11:43 am

There is a book coming very soon (currently slated for December 9th) entitled Walt Disney Animation Studios - The Archive Series: Story which promises to be an excellent collection of pre-production art of all types (if a bit 'light' on text, aside from an introduction by John Lasseter).

A couple of more substantive 'Disney-centric' books on pre-production art are Before the Animation Begins: The Art and Lives of Disney Inspirational Sketch Artists and Paper Dreams: The Art and Artists of Disney Storyboards, both written by John Canemaker.

A specialty publisher which has released a number of titles showcasing conceptual and production design artwork (for a range of genres, but primarily 'science-fiction-based' movies & games) is Design Studio Press.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » November 21st, 2008, 3:47 pm

droosan wrote: The Art and Lives of Disney Inspirational Sketch Artists
Oh that is a great book, I've taken it out of my library numerous times, such fascinating stories. ^.^

I love this thread... lol I wish I had more money to get these books. ^.^
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » November 21st, 2008, 6:08 pm

thanks for all the links!

and yes, you read me right, torn between illustration and animation. :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Need to find a cartoon {help}

Post by Darkblade » November 28th, 2008, 11:34 pm

Im trying to find this cartoon...for some reason today it popped into my head I never got the name of it...But however It was a donald duck cartoon...and there was this other guy that looked like him...and he was spying on this guy because he was dating daisy...Anyone remember that cartoon? If so thanks.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » November 29th, 2008, 12:58 am

I was just recently checking that DVD out. Info on the short can be found here; it's included with the Chronological Donald Vol. 2.

lol, few things were more unexpected than that moment where Donald takes a bite out of a wood beam... and then the follow through.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Toon Boom or flash

Post by Darkblade » December 11th, 2008, 9:46 pm

Sup everyone.

Could anybody tell me the advantages and or disadvantages of Toon Boom or Flash?

Has anyone used these programs to know which one is better? Thanks.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » January 6th, 2009, 7:49 pm

Well anyone?