Black Friday (more like Friedspunstomped&quartered day)

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Black Friday (more like Friedspunstomped&quartered day)

Post by Sunday » November 28th, 2008, 5:01 pm

To those of you folks who participate in the morning melee or look on with disdain (there are only two types of people in this world), what are your thoughts, your troubles, your totally awesome bargains you scored by camping out in front of the store a full day in advance?

There was quite a field to play with this time around. The usual technological trinkets and daunting displays, of course, but for animation fans there were a few items to be found amidst languishing copies of The Aviator:

Kung-Fu Panda for $9
Surf's Up for $9
Peter Pan Plat. w/ ridiculous music vid bonus DVD for $10
101 Dalmations Plat. w/ ridiculous music vid bonus DVD for $10

And considering the broader American consumer tradition, what sort of secret santas, white elephants, stocking stuffers, naughty nightwear, and assorted whatsits are we planning to give as the season begins in earnest?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 28th, 2008, 8:51 pm

I have a love/hate relationship with Black Friday, but on the whole it's worth it for the great bargains! Didn't get to go everywhere I wanted, but I think I still made out fine. Here's what I got going outside in the freezing temperatures for Blu-ray:

The Simpsons Movie $11
WALL-E $11
Cloverfield $16
Bee Movie $16

Not to shabby, If I do say so myself. 8)

Didn't get any DVDs, but did find some cute Bolt plushies and few other stuff. This year definitely beats last, at least for me. Wasn't into Blu, so missed out on all those BOGO's and the like.
Sunday wrote:101 Dalmations Plat. w/ ridiculous music vid bonus DVD for $10
Was this, along with Pan at Wal-Mart? Could've sworn Dalmatians came bundled with a CD. Didn't get it though, since I already have it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » November 28th, 2008, 9:30 pm

Both at Wal-Mart and you remember rightly, I meant to put CD up there. I never expected to find those two at the $10 price point outside of Craigslist; they're a welcome upgrade from ye olde VHS.

Great find on WALL-E there. It'll probably be another Black Friday or two before I can make any kind of headway towards an HD setup.

(Oh! and you know what was really something was a 40% off sale Criterion was doing for a while there. Consider this lil' collection of material which ended up at $510(USD) w/ free shipping + $50 free credit towards the store. To much to bite off now, particularly with the eventual transition towards high definition releases by the company, but still compelling since all the individual releases for those films would run so much more. Pricey niche DVD grumbling commences....)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 28th, 2008, 10:40 pm

Wow! I'm not sure if that's the one I've seen before, but nice!

Yeah, real good deal on Dalmatians. Makes me wish I would've waited. Still, at least I got a free plushie when I bought mine. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » November 28th, 2008, 11:14 pm

The Incredible Mr. Limpet for $7.00.

Strange find but I've been told this is a little gem.
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » November 29th, 2008, 1:05 am

Hey I remember that one. Can't recall a single detail save for fish lips, but I think I had a fun time. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 29th, 2008, 11:07 am