Award archives...

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » November 11th, 2008, 12:54 pm

Is there some reason Space Chimps isn't on the list.. :?: The inclusion of that film would put the total at 15 ..

-----------------

The Tale of Despereaux may 'technically' be a U.S. production, in that Universal Studios & Larger Than Life Productions are located in California .. but most of the movie's actual animation/artistry was created at CFC Framestore, which is in England.

On a similar note .. although M-G-M & Exodus Productions are based in the U.S., the animation studio which created Igor (Sparx) is in France. And a fair number of artists on the film were transplanted from VietNam, IIRC.

Credit where credit's due, and all that. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » November 11th, 2008, 5:49 pm

Since Ponyo didn't come to America this year is that why it wasn't included?
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 11th, 2008, 10:26 pm

Yep, that's the way it works.

Films have to be released the year of the Oscars to qualify for consideration.

Since Ponyo doesn't debut until next year (March at the earliest) it won't qualify for the '08 Oscars...

Qualification has nothing to do with foreign release dates... It's when they appear in the U.S. that matters for qualification.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » November 12th, 2008, 12:28 am

Okay. I didn't realize $9.99, The Sky Crawlers or Sword of the Stranger ever premiered in the US.
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by David » November 12th, 2008, 4:20 am

Interesting how 'Roadside Romeo' is absent from the list! :wink:

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » November 12th, 2008, 5:45 am

Bolt to win, but Roadside Romeo should had been on the list too!

Well, I hope Roadside Romeo will win for a song.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 12th, 2008, 9:15 am

I should add that to qualify, the films specifically would have to play in one or more LA theaters.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by David » November 12th, 2008, 2:40 pm

But I was under the impression that 'Roadside Romeo' had qualified?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » November 12th, 2008, 2:51 pm

Something might qualify, but it also has to be submitted by the studios to compete. All paperwork has to be submitted on time. Anyways, I expect that Wall-E will go for the win. The other two nominees should be Kung Fu Panda and maybe either Waltz with Bashir or Tale of Despereaux (if it's good). The main thing holding Waltz with Bashir is the type of animation (flash) or the fact that it's more of a documentary. We'll see.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » November 12th, 2008, 5:24 pm

Okay, thanks for clearing that up, Ben!

Yeah, Wall-E will most likely win. I'm going to call Ponyo on a Cliff now for 2009. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jafar » November 12th, 2008, 11:33 pm

"The Sky Crawlers" is impressive too. Surreal, passionate, thoughtprovoking. It may not be as well known or popular as other films in the bunch but it is certainly better than many (or most) of them. Still, I have little hope that it will be recognized by the academy. I wasn't surprised when Paprika was ignored last year too. Unfortunately, when it comes to the Best Animated film category, popularity, box-office and entertainment seem to have been the deciding factor, most of the time.
Last edited by Jafar on November 14th, 2008, 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Adam » November 13th, 2008, 7:25 pm

What is even more dissapointing is that only animators vote on who ends up a nominee. You would think animation professionals would want to see more than just one type of film (usually family-friendly) honored for their top award. When they do go "alternative," it's for films that are universally acclaimed (Spirited Away, The Triplets of Belleville, Howl's Moving Castle, Persepolis), which isn't a bad thing, but I would like to see more spontaneity in their choices. I think Waltz With Bashir has a 50-50 chance, because critics, while definately supportive of the film, are not exactly going crazy over it. Some think the flash animation is downright unattractive. Maybe so, but I would love to see it get honored just to shake things up.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jafar » November 14th, 2008, 12:49 am

Adam wrote:I would like to see more spontaneity in their choices.
Indeed. That's exactly what I feel too. It is really ironical if only the animators from the academy get to vote for films. Its time they looked at animation as just another medium not to be judged solely on technical brilliance.

AV Founder
AV Founder

2008 Annie Awards

Post by James » December 1st, 2008, 12:11 pm

The nominations for the 36th Annie Awards were announced today, and Kung Fu Panda leads all films with 17 nominations. Bolt was second with 9 nods, and WALL-E third with 8. Those three, along with $9.99 and Waltz with Bashir were tapped for Best Feature. Winners will be announced on Friday, January 30, 2009, at UCLA’s Royce Hall, in Los Angeles, CA. A full list of nominations is here.

What are your thoughts?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » December 1st, 2008, 1:09 pm

Nice for Bolt! Surprisingly, more nods than WALL-E.

It's amazing how quickly Lasseter got Disney's level of quality up.