Night at the Museum

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Night at the Museum

Post by Dacey » December 12th, 2007, 4:45 pm

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bawpcwpn » December 12th, 2007, 4:55 pm

Well I say "bring it on". The first wasn't bad at all. It's not begging for a sequel but let's hope they can keep the standard set in the first or raise the bar.
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 12th, 2007, 5:01 pm

Awwe nuts.

The first movie was real, unexpected magic. The best Disney fantasy in ages that Disney never made!

Have to say that the idea behind this has me intrigued in a cheesy way, but really NATM was a perfect single movie.

There's no need for a sequel, especially a summer sequel, which won't feel as magical as the Christmas one last year.

Ho-hum...Hollywood + Money = No Sense or Morals. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 12th, 2007, 5:04 pm

Hey Ben...Did they ever edit out the boom mike's multiple appearances in the NATM DVD?

Anyway, I agree - NATM was fun, but I don't think a sequel could hold up.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 12th, 2007, 5:11 pm

I used to know a Mike Boom...!?

Does that help? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 12th, 2007, 5:34 pm

Yes, immensely. Thanks!

:P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 12th, 2007, 5:40 pm

I haven't even seen the original... Soon!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 13th, 2007, 4:07 am

Ben wrote:The first movie was real, unexpected magic. The best Disney fantasy in ages that Disney never made!
Well, Disney had to cancel their script for "Unnatural History" (in which a family gets trapped overnight) around the time NATM was greenlit, if that's what you mean--
And given how little of Fox's movie actually resembles the children's-book whose title and concept they quickly borrowed, looks like that's not the only movie with an unnatural history... :roll:
Have to say that the idea behind this has me intrigued in a cheesy way, but really NATM was a perfect single movie.

Even though Ben Stiller came off as a major jerk for most of the middle third of the movie, and I still don't think we're ready for a
Dick Van Dyke villain
yet--
Putting Stiller in the same movie with Dick Van Dyke and expecting us to sympathize with him is roughly equivalent to...I dunno...putting Stiller in a movie next to Robin Williams? :wink:
There's no need for a sequel, especially a summer sequel, which won't feel as magical as the Christmas one last year.

NATM only made its pile as a Christmas-vacation film for last year (and in fact, the Christmas-vacation family film, as "Charlotte's Web" found out)--
It wasn't 100% because of the movie.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 13th, 2007, 6:12 pm

I hate to disagree with you on all three points, but...

Nope, I meant it was the best Disney film that Disney never made. A pure and simple a statement as I could imagine.

Stiller, who I have completely gone off after early success, was the warmest, most rounded character he's been for about ten years. And Dick Van Dyke as a villain? What a <I>great</I> twist! Like "Dick Tracy" never happened, then, you mean?

If NATM hadn't been such good, honest to goodness family fun that we haven't had in ages (see the Disney comment again), why did people keep flocking? It was straight escapism, pure and simple, with some terrific production values and a neat concept (wherever it came from).

Enough with the citric-acid comments, man, there's enough negativity in the world.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » December 14th, 2007, 2:58 am

Ack, I think I need to finally see NATM. I had very little intrest at first, but after reading all the comments, I've changed my mind, since I trust the opinions of most of the posters here :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 5th, 2008, 12:28 pm

Comingsoon.net reports that Amy Adams is now in it and has an early plot summary:
The film kicks off when the artifacts from the Museum of Natural History are boxed up and sent to the archives at the Smithsonian in Washington. Adams will play an undetermined historical figure who has a crush on security guard Larry (Stiller).
http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=36865
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian

Post by Josh » December 19th, 2008, 10:47 pm

The teaser trailer for Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian is now at HappyMeal.com. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » December 20th, 2008, 12:28 am

Yay for Amy Adams as Amelia Earhart! :D

Boo for being a summer release, instead of Christmas .. :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 20th, 2008, 6:05 pm

Boo for summer, agreed!

But this doesn't look too bad, considering. I <I>may</I> wait for the Blu-ray and watch it at Christmas anyway! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » December 20th, 2008, 7:05 pm

Yeah, it feels like a Christmas movie. Could just be because I saw the last one on New Year's Eve. Don't think I liked it enough to go see the sequel.
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet