Tom and Jerry live action movie with CGI coming

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » November 4th, 2008, 3:14 pm

From what I heard about GB3 it was to be like th ghostbusters going to hell{sounded like a good plot for a sequel if you ask me}

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 4th, 2008, 4:27 pm

GB3 has been hanging around for years, as has Tron 2.0.

The only reason these are being made now is money (surprise!) since both these titles have proven themselves to have followings long after their respective box office doldrums ended any further films.

You don't think that's why we keep getting four hundred different versions of Blade Runner? If they could get Scott and Ford in a room you'd have Blade Runner (2.0 probably!) just because the figures would work out.

Tron's been on the cards since the 1990s, when everyone that worked on Toy Story kept saying they wanted to get into the business because of Tron. Disney took another look at it and decided the sales were good enough to suggest that if there were that many people out there buying the LD and DVDs, that they would come back and see a bigger and better Tron movie. That being the case, a remake didn't feel right, but a sequel would at least tap into what the really hard core fans had been screaming for.

So...Tron 2.0 is happening. Frankly, the movie was ahead of its time and it'll be interesting to see a new vision of that concept given that things have caught up. But it's only the money talking that's making these things. Same with GB3...until Sony worked out that it was still a viable franchise they didn't want to know. The minute someone comes along and says "hey we wanna make a videogame based on that", they then think..."ahh, there's obviously money to be made on this".

Warner Bros. nearly lost the film rights to Superman this way, until that film woke everyone up and studios decided to tighten their belts on their properties...even the non-successful or apparently dormant ones...

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 4th, 2008, 5:27 pm

I tend to disagree with Tron being too far ahead of its time as its point of failure.

Sure, it had an unusual look for its time -- a lot of films around that era did, too. It's one of a quartet of science fiction films made around 1982 (Star Trek: TMP, Blade Runner, Star Wars Original Trilogy is one big film) that still hold up together visually. Set design and overall design schematics still work better than a quarter-century later! You have to go back to 1968 to find another science fiction film (2001) that still looks great today, too.

Frankly, I think the visuals are all Tron ever had going for it.

The acting's not great, the script is wonky, and it's hardly the film most of the actors who worked on it rate as their best, too!

It just wasn't a very good film. It's a fairly typical story really for a videogame and that's how I feel it best works.

You're right, though. Disney is still going to go ahead and waste money IMHO on another Tron film. I still say they'd be saving a heck of a lot of money and make far more potential profit IF they A) make a GOOD Tron videogame sequel and B) develop a new interactive Tron complex/ride for Tomorrowland. I just don't understand WHY Disney has not done anything with the science fiction licenses it owns (Tron, The Black Hole) in its theme parks!

We're going to see a bunch of dopey kids claim that Tron 2 is a rip-off of The Matrix when in fact Tron was the most immediate film predecessor to The Matrix. If either film borrows/"steals" from the other, it's The Matrix. They both deal with cyberspace (although frankly I think Tron's visual are neater-looking) and messiah figures that come from within or without a computer system to deal with the evil inherent in the system. The films are just only a bit more than superficial but neither film is what I'd rate a classic in any collection I'd care to own on a desert island.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » November 4th, 2008, 6:05 pm

What would be next??? A CGI/live-action movie of Droopy? {If they really do this I bet tex avery wouldnt be happy}

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 4th, 2008, 6:22 pm

I didn't offer up Tron being ahead of its time as the reason it failed, I just said that it would be interesting to see what could be done with the concept now that effects have more caught up with what was being attempted. It was groundbreaking then and it <I>could</I> be groundbreaking again.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » November 4th, 2008, 7:24 pm

The thing is that like any other concept, it's been done again.

I wonder if people are really going to be able to get away from the fact that it shares common concepts with The Matrix.

(I'll grant you most moviegoers -- and this is worldwide -- aren't that deep and generally go for less-involved, not-so-philosophical films.)

I'll grant that Tron still looks neat, but I'm not so sure I want to sit through a cyberspace film again.

Keanu was enough reason for me not to watch The Matrix... :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 4th, 2008, 10:23 pm

;)

Actually, Tron doesn't get the credit it deserves for its story. For all the high-techness, it's an age old tale with heavy religious allusions which probably fly right over most people's heads. "Ooh, look, Light Cycles!"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » November 4th, 2008, 10:36 pm

Would you people please get back on topic please?

And what do u think this {shutters} New tom and jerry movie will be about...There's one thing I hope for...Is that they dont talk.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 5th, 2008, 8:25 am

Sorry DB...it kinda went off into Tron and Jerry, right? Now that could be something interesting! ;)

My guess is with T&J that they'll have some kind of live-action house/setting, maybe with Queen Latifah or someone, and then the whole movie will be about them smashing it up when she's on holiday or something. She gets some exterminator(s) in...it's all a bit "Mouse Hunt", and then she's kidnapped or whatever and they have to team up either for that or some reason. Hopefully they won't talk, and I have faith that this will be adhered to, but I've a feeling Tom is going to look hideous with "real fur".

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » November 5th, 2008, 4:59 pm

Nice plot there Ben :wink: . Seeing how its gonne be CGI/live-action movie Tom, Jerry, and some of the other characters in the orignal tom and jerry cartoons are likely to be in CGI.

I hope they dont talk because that would just kill them...{anyone remember that TAJ movie that came out in the 90's?} Queen Latifah as the owner of tom? That might work!! But I hope they dont make Tom or Jerry creepy in CGI...But if there gonna be creepy on that bulldog then thats good.{Hopefully they wont get live-action animals to do the roles of some of the characters}

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by David » November 12th, 2008, 4:09 am

Rather than a live action/CGI hybrid, they could at least do a live action/traditional film, rather like this old Ford advert

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=lPxxKZM7UnM

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 12th, 2008, 9:17 am

Haven't seen that in a while...love that ad, really captures the spirit.

Shame it won't go that way though, and will be CG characters. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » December 30th, 2008, 4:37 pm

Although this isnt the tom or jerry nor it being cgi hybrid...I wondered why they didnt make the chimpunks movie like this

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » January 1st, 2009, 5:16 am

Ben wrote:Sorry DB...it kinda went off into Tron and Jerry, right? Now that could be something interesting! ;)

My guess is with T&J that they'll have some kind of live-action house/setting, maybe with Queen Latifah or someone, and then the whole movie will be about them smashing it up when she's on holiday or something. She gets some exterminator(s) in...it's all a bit "Mouse Hunt", and then she's kidnapped or whatever and they have to team up either for that or some reason. Hopefully they won't talk, and I have faith that this will be adhered to, but I've a feeling Tom is going to look hideous with "real fur".
If they had queen latifah, but kept her that old mammy borderline racist old black lady from the old cartoons, I'd fully support this movie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » January 1st, 2009, 6:13 am

First Scooby Doo,then Garfield (That had 2 awful films that made him completely out of his character,all the characters were out of their characters actually),then Chimpmunks now Tom and Jerry.
Will it stop?.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]