Chronicles of Narnia

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » January 11th, 2009, 2:31 pm

So Disney don't want to use Narnia anymore? but they do keep making things like Caspian costumes for Halloween,or that's kind of things they want to keep?.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 11th, 2009, 7:46 pm

They're doing stuff now because the movie's recent, and they're still selling product. (And there are no newer Narnia films from other studios yet.) Don't expect them to keep merchandising Narnia once they have newer Disney movies to promote. It's the same for any movie, whether they own it outright or not. Seen any new Flubber merchandise lately? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

DISNEY IS NOT MAKING THE 3RD NARNIA MOVIE

Post by Cinderallaboi » January 24th, 2009, 12:18 am

I just found out that Disney is not going to release the 3rd narnia movie no Walden Media is going with 20th century fox to release the 3rd movie and maybe the rest of the books into a movie. I guess there doing this because the other narnia books don't fit the Disney format. Anyways im glade they can bring the other books to a movie version. But one thing that will be missed the the bit of Disney magic that they put into the first 2 movies to make them work like they did.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » January 24th, 2009, 1:06 am

Prince Caspien was good, but Wardrobe was a giant hunk of garbage. Just goes to show that Disney really doesn't know how to make good live action films these days. The Pirates trilogy is the exception that proves the rule.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 24th, 2009, 1:20 am

Merged since this is already being discussed in here.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Cinderallaboi » January 24th, 2009, 1:53 am

um ok i guess i didnt know it was already on here.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 24th, 2009, 11:51 am

No problems.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » January 24th, 2009, 2:13 pm

Randall wrote:They're doing stuff now because the movie's recent, and they're still selling product. (And there are no newer Narnia films from other studios yet.) Don't expect them to keep merchandising Narnia once they have newer Disney movies to promote. It's the same for any movie, whether they own it outright or not. Seen any new Flubber merchandise lately? ;)
Yeah,but since they won't have Narnia anymore then they whouldn't have another chance to make more Narnia stuff.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 24th, 2009, 4:50 pm

It's not because the other books don't "fit the Disney format". They wouldn't have made any of them if that was the reason...Disney knew what they were getting into and the plan was always to follow Potter with seven books/seven films.

The reason Disney has pulled out is because they have seen, as everyone already knows, that Narnia is basically Lion/Witch/Wardrobe among the general public, and that the other books, in short, just aren't as good. Thus is shown in the box office numbers for Prince Caspian...without the recognition factor the film made less coin than Wardrobe, and the escalating cost of making more films and the realisation that they would bring in less money means that it's actually better business for Disney to pass.

What's the betting Fox don't actually co-produce, but just distribute? And what's the betting that, with Walden making the movie themselves, it doesn't bomb and turn them out of business? I can't see how the company can just keep taking the hits they do on their self-produced movies. :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Cinderallaboi » January 24th, 2009, 7:36 pm

well i do like there movies the winn dix was good and the movie about the lock ness moster was good to.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » January 28th, 2009, 10:25 pm

Nikki Finke's insiders say that Fox is definitely going ahead with The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I'm eager to see how this develops. After all, Fox must be very aware of why Disney dropped the Narnia films. Hence, I'm wondering if Treader's production quality will be closer to Prince Caspian or Fox's own Eragon. Ben raised an excellent point:
Ben wrote:What's the betting Fox don't actually co-produce, but just distribute? And what's the betting that, with Walden making the movie themselves, it doesn't bomb and turn them out of business? I can't see how the company can just keep taking the hits they do on their self-produced movies. :?
UPDATE: Variety now has more info on the matter. Fox and Walden will split production and P&A costs for Treader, which will have budget of around $140 million. (For a comparison, Wardrobe cost approximately $180 million, while Caspian's budget was around $215 million.) A holiday 2010 release is planned for Treader.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 29th, 2009, 8:08 am

Interesting that they would insist on a lower budget...who couldn't see that coming? Looks like they're making decent business sense by lowering the expenditure and releasing, like Disney should have done, at the holidays.

With Potter done by then (just about), I think Disney might end up regretting the decision. If Walden are able to use the same branding (font treatment and same general design) then this might have the audience recognition to pull it through and just about re-cope its money, especially with Dawn Treader being perhaps the second most well known book after Wardrobe.

However, I'm not backtracking on my words...I still don't think this will be a mega smash hit, though while it could lead to one more on top of this, I just don't think there's enough steam in these to play out to seven features.

It's somewhat reassuring for fans of the series (of which I can't say I am one, I'm afraid) that the original cast and crew are still attached. At least there will be consistency, though whether that's enough to keep things moving to further adaptations we'll have to wait and see...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » January 29th, 2009, 11:06 am

I'm glad they have reached an agreement, only because I think Voyage of the Dawn Treader is a much better story than Prince Caspian (which basically turned out to be one drawn-out fight sequence). I don't understand why Disney couldn't cut back on the budget for Prince Caspian in the first place. It was much too expensive. Anyways, it's reassuring as Ben said that the original cast is still intact. That's at least good news for fans.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 29th, 2009, 11:35 pm

I definitely agree with Rodney in that Voyage of the Dawn Treader was a much stronger book than Caspian. Glad to hear I still get to see it on the big screen! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 30th, 2009, 1:46 am

Ben wrote:The reason Disney has pulled out is because they have seen, as everyone already knows, that Narnia is basically Lion/Witch/Wardrobe among the general public, and that the other books, in short, just aren't as good. Thus is shown in the box office numbers for Prince Caspian...without the recognition factor the film made less coin than Wardrobe, and the escalating cost of making more films and the realisation that they would bring in less money means that it's actually better business for Disney to pass.
You haven't been reading the press (as Treader-hungry fans have), have you?
The reason Disney dropped it was delays.

DELAYS.
DELAYS.
DELAYS.

Increasing production delays on the third film (as if there hadn't been enough on the second one) that kept costs mounting, CGI costs spiraling, and the cast aging.
Walden pushed the issue of more money, and Disney realized Walden already had a safety net of another studio association with Fox, and called the bluff.

As noted, "Treader" was caught neatly in the safety net of another studio's association with Walden, and wouldn'tcha know?--It was FOX! :shock:
Whodathunk??
What's the betting Fox don't actually co-produce, but just distribute?

About 1:1 prohibitively even money, seeing as that was already the deal with Disney. :)