Kung Fu Panda

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » January 27th, 2009, 3:23 pm

Maybe they're doing it for those who bought the Blu-ray version.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 27th, 2009, 4:27 pm

Looks like we posted very close to each other, so you probably missed this:

"If this is in any way to try and get those who bought the BD to pick up the short, then that won't work either: for one it's only in standard def (not a BD selling point!) and second, the BD crowd is going to wait for the inevitable true BD release anyway."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » January 28th, 2009, 9:27 pm

You're right Ben I didn't see your comment.

Anyhoo, I hear what you you’re saying but I think some people really interested in watching the short will be willing to forego quality and buy it simply because it's the only option available. I bought both the Blu-Ray for myself and the dual pack DVD set for my nieces and watched it with them so I’m good but if I hadn’t seen it I could see myself buying it.

It’s funny how for years DVD was good enough but now that BD is out we’ll settle for nothing less.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » January 29th, 2009, 7:53 am

Why Secrets Of The Furious Five is getting it's own release? it's not that the Christmas short from the Madagascar or any other DVD short of them gets a it's own release.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 29th, 2009, 8:57 am

Then DreamWorks marketing has won over common sense! Who would seriously lay out over $15 for something that: 1) hasn't actually gotten that many decent notices, 2) only lasts 22 minutes, 3) should have been included on a previous edition, and 4) will inevitably get released on the format anyway?

Like you did, I would expect most people who <I>really</I> must see it to borrow a copy or rent it at least. There just isn't any point in this standalone repacking of the disc that was already released! Now if they went ahead and also released a BD edition at the same time (for under $15 at least, $10 online) then there would at least be some logic to it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » January 29th, 2009, 9:43 am

I think it's time to see Secrets Of The Furious Five by the way (But in other ways :twisted:).
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » January 29th, 2009, 11:15 am

Ben wrote:Then DreamWorks marketing has won over common sense! Who would seriously lay out over $15 for something that: 1) hasn't actually gotten that many decent notices, 2) only lasts 22 minutes, 3) should have been included on a previous edition, and 4) will inevitably get released on the format anyway?

Like you did, I would expect most people who <I>really</I> must see it to borrow a copy or rent it at least. There just isn't any point in this standalone repacking of the disc that was already released! Now if they went ahead and also released a BD edition at the same time (for under $15 at least, $10 online) then there would at least be some logic to it.
I don’t really care because I’ve seen it but if indeed the consumer isn’t interested in the DVD then DreamWorks will have learned something from the experience.

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » January 31st, 2009, 1:31 pm

Kung Fu Panda won big time at Annie Awards!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 31st, 2009, 1:39 pm

Yep, WALL-E shut out completely...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » January 31st, 2009, 6:15 pm

That's disappointing news for me. Yes Kung Fu Panda was good and probably one of the better Dreamworks movie but after my first viewing I was left wondering why people were raving about it. WALL-E on the other hand totally blew me away.

Just hope this doesn't mean Kung Fu Panda will take the OSCAR. Cause that would be a major upset I think.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » January 31st, 2009, 6:39 pm

IMO, I think KFP deserved the award because it was an all around more entertaining. I thought Wall-E was brilliant until Wall-E made it to the ship after which it became just your average animated movie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Zach » January 31st, 2009, 6:46 pm

Well... I'm more for Kung Fu Panda than WALL-E. I don't see how WALL-E got the excellent feedback it did. Sure, it was an amazing film. And better than a lot of other movies out there. But I thought Kung Fu Panda was more creative than WALL-E.

But I was actually shocked to see Kung Fu Panda wipe out WALL-E completely. I would have never believed that. You'd thought WALL-E would have least gotten one award at the most, instead of the big zero it got. That will be a major disappointment to a lot of fans.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 31st, 2009, 7:17 pm

I actually think this is going to hurt the credibility of the Annies. A film that many thought would get a best picture nomination and tied Beauty and the Beast for the most Oscar nominations ever didn't pick up one single Annie? They may revamp their weird voting rules after this.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » January 31st, 2009, 7:20 pm

I think WALL-E is absolutely brilliant as far as creativity is concerned, but I found Kung Fu Panda to be more enjoyable. Nonetheless, I still think WALL-E will win the Oscar for Best Animated Feature.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » January 31st, 2009, 8:00 pm

I actually think this is going to hurt the credibility of the Annies. A film that many thought would get a best picture nomination and tied Beauty and the Beast for the most Oscar nominations ever didn't pick up one single Annie? They may revamp their weird voting rules after this.
ITA James although my poor memory is claiming that it happened another time where another 'awesome' movie was overlooked for a 'less awesome' movie. I like Kung Fu Panda but in the year of WALL-E I don't think it deserved the massive sweep it got. In another year I would probably be happy with it.

Are you able to explain the wierd voting rules to me James for greater clarity in my understanding.