The Black Cauldron

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 14th, 2009, 6:31 am

It's probably getting the same post-Gold treatment that Sword/Stone just got, and for the same reason:
They don't have to wait for a marketing direct-video sequel to sell it anymore... :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 14th, 2009, 11:00 am

It's already out, Once. This is just the same again, with a new picture transfer and probably only a new game as a new extra.

I saw the 2.35:1 digital restoration of this on TV a year or so ago (I mentioned it somewhere here) and knew that for them to have created a new image element meant a new DVD sooner than later. The colors popped on that transfer, so this should look good.

As that thread that Neal linked to says, this is probably the last DVD issue before the title comes to BD either later this year or next.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » January 14th, 2009, 1:19 pm

I know there's a single disc edition but I didn't thought they"ll re-release it ever again.
Then I guess it will be like Sword In The Stone re-release but there aren't concept arts they can have on the DVD? or films like those gets a single disc edition?.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » January 14th, 2009, 1:19 pm

So, its evil power will course through our veins once again. I can hear the Hurt already...

Great news!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » January 14th, 2009, 5:15 pm

Yeah, I just bought the current DVD release of TBC in September. I doubt this will have anything to merit a double-dip.
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 14th, 2009, 8:26 pm

You know if it has a new restoration you'll double-dip. ;)

Nice to see this confirmed, another forum got word another country was getting a re-release so naturally they hoped R1 would get one too.

Well, I'm not exited. I saw this twice I believe about ten years ago, did not care for it at all. Of course my opinion could change, which is why I look forward to seeing TBC again fresh. I just remember it being extremely boring. Loved Hen Wen, though!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 14th, 2009, 9:20 pm

Neal wrote:Yeah, I just bought the current DVD release of TBC in September. I doubt this will have anything to merit a double-dip.
An restored anamorphic transfer would certainly get me dipping! :)

My review of the previous edition:
http://animated-views.com/2002/the-blac ... ollection/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » January 14th, 2009, 9:25 pm

Peeerhaps...

With several other good Disney DVDs coming out this year, though, I've got to ration carefully.

I haven't got Snow White or Pinnochio on anything but VHS, so those are both definites, plus the BOLT DVD. I may double-dip with the Lilo & Stitch: Big Wave Edition because of the bonus features.

As of yet, I've never double-dipped. I'm wary to until I have at least all the classics on DVD once before I begin doubling up on some.

We'll see. I'm easily swayed with these things. :D
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 14th, 2009, 10:43 pm

If you collect DVDs, you shall become used to double-dipping. ;)

I'll wait for Ben's review of the new TBC DVD, but figure I'll go for the new edition since the old one's video was non-anamorphic and dreary.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Cinderallaboi » January 24th, 2009, 9:59 pm

omg i cant wait this is the only disney movie i have not seen

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 24th, 2009, 10:49 pm

That's quite a claim!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » January 31st, 2009, 6:11 pm

I know it's expecting a lot but I would love it if they would release the film unedited with at least the Cauldon Born sequence fully restored.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » January 31st, 2009, 11:31 pm

You know, this is one of the very few Disney films I have never watched. It was never widely circulated when I was growing up and I didn't find out about it until 10 years after it came out (really because of the Internet). I've had chances, but there have been so many mixed reviews on it that I have always set it aside for later.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 1st, 2009, 1:31 am

You should see it, Rodney. It's not their best work, but it's not bad either.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » February 1st, 2009, 1:59 am

It's not as bad as Disney made it out to be by pretending it didn't exist for a very long time. My earliest memory of the movie was a computer game I had. I had no idea of the story line but the premise intrigued me and I was reminded of the movie by a friend I made on ICQ (does that even exist still) who was massive fan of it. Thankfully ater all his insistence talk it was released in Australia I went out and watched it and fell in love with it. True it's not one of their best but it's almost criminal that Disney chose to ignore it for so long.

With the current interest in fantasy films all I can sya is that maybe Disney was just ahed of it's time. I will admit though that as a massive fan of the animated musicals I often play 'Where would I put a song' when watching the movie. And surprisingly it is very easy to picture where songs would work. Although it's not like the movie would need songs to be enjoyable.