Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » February 8th, 2009, 3:25 pm

When are we getting a real trailer for this movie >=O

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » February 8th, 2009, 3:26 pm

Someone told me it was on the Pinocchio platinum DVD/Blu-ray. I think they're lying but I emailed Disney to see. I'll let you know what they say.
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » February 8th, 2009, 4:35 pm

On the Pinocchio PE? can't wait then :D ,I do know that there will be a new trailer.
Also Neal I know that you posted those books in IMDB.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » February 8th, 2009, 4:45 pm

Yes. Do you want credit? I guess I should have asked - but some people don't like their identities between sites linked.
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » February 9th, 2009, 1:17 pm

Yeah :D.
You should ask,thought I already knew that it was you.
Oh,and I was watching the sneak peeks on my WALL-E DVD and the Princess And The Frog teaser said in the end 2010,in Europe it will be released only in 2010? why? (Well,it will be released in the end of December but still).

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 9th, 2009, 2:46 pm

Because every winter Disney film released in the US gets held over until the following year's school holidays.

For instance, we in the UK are only just getting Beverley Hills Chihuahua after release in the US before Christmas.

This is basically to make more money: the European releases will re-use the prints that have been finished with in the American theaters.

It happens all the time. You should be thankful that we haven't returned to the time when the US got Little Mermaid for Thanksgiving in 1989, Europe got it from October 1990, and the same applied for Beauty And The Beast, Aladdin and The Nightmare Before Christmas. The Lion King wasn't so bad...only a three/four month wait between the US summer release and the European winter release.

Haven't you actually ever noticed that Europe generally gets US films a couple of months later at least?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » February 9th, 2009, 5:46 pm

I did noticed that Bolt was released later and I think that Enchanted was also released later.
So they"re released in Europe in holidays? but DVDs don't?.
I also remember that we got films like Brother Bear and Treasure Planet later,they were released in US in November but over here in March,but now Enchanted was released over here a day after in US and Bolt was released in December.
Edit:We"re getting Beverley Hills Chihuahua in March,it's sad that this movie will be released here,or getting released at all.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 9th, 2009, 5:58 pm

See...so why should Princess And The Frog be any different!?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » February 9th, 2009, 11:06 pm

Ben wrote:
This is basically to make more money: the European releases will re-use the prints that have been finished with in the American theaters.

I don't think this is actually the case. I don't think movie release-prints hold up well enough to do this.

Plus "european" releases mean multiple languages and/or subtitles. So those are all new prints.

Release prints don't look very good after the end of a 23-week run. If that's what they're showing audiences on opening night, they cannot hope to compete with home-video!
This is basically to make more money
Well, yes. All decisions are to make more money.
:wink:

But the rationale as I've heard it is this: The optimum date to release a film in the US may not be the optimum time to release it abroad. Each market has its boom-time for families to go to the cinema, and some not so. So unlike Dreamworks which tries to go day-and-date planetwide, Disney chooses release dates more strategically. I think both plans are successful, however they probably WOULDN'T both be successful if they both did things exactly the same way.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 10th, 2009, 3:31 pm

Hey Sully...believe me...I sat in the opening weekend of Treasure Planet and nearly walked out due to the condition of the print - now that DID look 23 weeks old!

It's actually an old practice and it <I>does</I> happen. Essentially, not all the prints sent out on a US run get played for a maximum amount of times, which means a good portion of prints that come back in in fairly good condition. Those prints - we're talking around 500 of the 2-3000 sent out in the US - are then used for the UK run, where the majority of theaters will simply get those prints while a select few priority or prestige venues will have new prints struck for those engagements.

This isn't just me waffling: I have a friend who is a projectionist down at the local flea pit and who has extensive experience working in venues big and small, where he tells me it happens all the time. Very often a single reel will have to be sent for, meaning many of the prints are what they called "married", taken from multiple sources. So Reel #2 from an Ohio cinema might end up with Reel #6 from a Texas cinema in a print that was otherwise all okay from a New York cinema.

It's actually cheaper to do that than it is to make up new prints. Obviously the really badly damaged ones don't get let out again, but since we speak the same language here and there are usually no differences between cuts (other than a local distributor logo that is spliced on the front), then it makes sense for them to re-use the prints.

In Europe the same thing happens, though I'm not sure how. Obviously back in the magnetic days I know they used to simply dub a Spanish soundtrack on a French print, for example, and only print off new titles or such, but how that works optically or digitally I'm not sure. I guess with DTS it's just a case of swapping the discs - when Mummy 3 came into my local I did see the discs that shipped with it and they came in English, French and Spanish flavors.

You'll also notice the practice on various types of releases...it's less about release dates and more about piracy: releasing something like Potter, Bond or WALL-E as close to day and date makes sense; more people will go see than get a pirate in from the States. But something like Beverly Hills Chihuahua is a pretty niche flick anyway...it's not likely to encourage millions of dollars in lost revenue as the film was intended to be a middle-sized, moderate hit (which its otherwise low-ish takings suggest is just right since a sequel is on the way).

So quite often the expectations behind a film play a pretty big clue: with Princess And The Frog I wager that Disney is fairly confident, but it's the kind of film where making a saving here and there isn't going to go amiss, and if they can re-use any amount of prints they will do. When everyone goes digital this will be less of a problem - no prints to run to mush, which is why we're hearing more day-and-date talk in regards to why digital is better for the studios.

However, <I>then</I> it will be more about how each local distributor wants to spend their marketing cash: New Line might be able to afford to spend WB's deep pockets on two Thanksgiving releases, but Entertainment, the UK company that handles all New Line releases, would probably not be able to afford the marketing spend to let audiences know their films were in theaters. So I think you will still see staggered releases even after digital, but they will become fewer and farther between.

As for now, I'm just hoping that the second hand Princess And The Frog I get to see in the spring of 2010 is much more decent than that Treasure Planet!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » February 11th, 2009, 10:57 am

Yikes.

My sympathies for you in having to watch used movies!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » February 16th, 2009, 8:19 am

Princess And The Frog toys!! they even show Tiana as a frog!:
http://toyfair09.asmzine.com/gallery/ma ... _4341.html
http://toyfair09.asmzine.com/gallery/ma ... _4340.html
I whould definitelly get one of those when the movie will be released.
Althought I"m surprised that they have Tiana wearing her blue dress,I thought that the green dress from the new picture will be better because most of the Princesses have blue outfits.
And Tiana is so cute as a frog :D those plushies are adorable.
The doll and maybe the plushies will be released in September acorrding to this article:
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industrie ... iana_N.htm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 16th, 2009, 9:51 pm

Oooh, I absolutely LOVE that Blue Mater. I'm not a huge collector of those die-cast cars, thank goodness, but the overall look is what makes it for me. Very unique.

On the actual Princess merchandise, those plushies are adorable! Seriously, they look very well made and they really captured the look; sometimes plushies look off-model! The doll is cute too, but I don't plan on getting it. I'm thinking these are the fake versions that will be sold commercially and not the ones exclusive to the Disney Store. Nothing wrong with that, just thinking if these are the fakes imagine the real ones! (Though I don't think Disney Stores had small Bolt plushies, so it might be the same situation here.)

Whatever, I'm getting them! Now bring forth a Tiana plushie! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » February 16th, 2009, 9:53 pm

Thanks to CinemaBlend, we have a new Tiana character concept, Naveen is revealed through a doll, we see more Tiana dolls, and even the fact they are going to sell her dresses - both the blue and lily pad ones!

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/New-Foot ... 12019.html

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » February 17th, 2009, 2:08 am

Daniel wrote:Oooh, I absolutely LOVE that Blue Mater. I'm not a huge collector of those die-cast cars, thank goodness, but the overall look is what makes it for me. Very unique.

On the actual Princess merchandise, those plushies are adorable! Seriously, they look very well made and they really captured the look; sometimes plushies look off-model! The doll is cute too, but I don't plan on getting it. I'm thinking these are the fake versions that will be sold commercially and not the ones exclusive to the Disney Store. Nothing wrong with that, just thinking if these are the fakes imagine the real ones! (Though I don't think Disney Stores had small Bolt plushies, so it might be the same situation here.)

Whatever, I'm getting them! Now bring forth a Tiana plushie! :)
What do you mean die cast? that they weren't in the movie? anyway they looks neat but I wonder how much Cars merchandise they release,also Salena Gomez looks weird as a doll.
And yeah,they"re adorable,I"m definitely buying one of them and the Tiana doll :D.
I also think that those will be sold in Toys R Us and not Disney Store and your avater is great by the way :D.
And Neal-Thanks so much for that website!!!!! you really made my day :D thanks :D not only the new dolls but also a Tiana clipart!!! thanks so much :D.
Naveen looks great,I"m glad that Tiana will get merchandise and dolls in both her blue and green dress (Green will be a great change),the Halloween costumes looks so adorable and looks like Tiana will also get those Baby Princesses and Little Princesses dolls,she looks okay but still,I wonder if Giselle will get a Little Princess or a Baby Princess doll someday.
The DCP has a press release: Click

Now there's picture showing even more merchandise with Anika!:
http://mms.businesswire.com/bwapps/medi ... download=1