Tangled (formerly Rapunzel)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » February 22nd, 2009, 9:39 am

Really? I thought it made Enchanted that much more authentic. The opening music is original, yet it sounds like a lost piece of music from Snow White or Bambi.

The way he can switch styles. He's a musical chameleon. And the additional songs he wrote for The Little Mermaid on Broadway are wonderful as well.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by robster » February 22nd, 2009, 10:15 am

It's on the official Sister Act Musical website. So it doesn't come from wikipedia, someone posted it on wikipedia after it was put on the official Sister Act Musical website. So this confirms that Alan Menken and Glenn Slater are doing the songs for Rapunzel and that Rapunzel will be a Disney fairytale musical!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » February 22nd, 2009, 11:06 am

I should have checked this topic before posting a new one in the news submission section.

Anyway, The director also confirmed Menken is doing the music.

Best news I've heard coming from Disney in a long time.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » February 22nd, 2009, 2:02 pm

Great news :D Alan Manken is the best.
And the songs in Enchanted are great althought So Close isn't as good as the others.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 22nd, 2009, 4:46 pm

I guess that should cut Princess And The Frog some slack too: give Randy a chance and if he doesn't do what we might think we want, then Menken will be restoring musical glory soon after.

I like the way they're also using this link between the old successful 1990s fairytales and Rapunzel being done in CGI. So while it may look and feel new, there will be that added hark back to the modern classics to bring more than a little familiarity to things.

I'd just love to know if there's a motion to switch this back to traditional animation: it wouldn't surprise me in the least if there was an ambition to do that but it was outweighed by the amount of money Keane has burned through trying to get the CG just right.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by cboy666 » February 22nd, 2009, 5:24 pm

Ben wrote: I'd just love to know if there's a motion to switch this back to traditional animation: it wouldn't surprise me in the least if there was an ambition to do that but it was outweighed by the amount of money Keane has burned through trying to get the CG just right.
I'm pretty sure there is. I remember a while back hearing lasseter had asked keane would he be interested in switching rapunzel to traditional animation, but he declined. To be honest, with the replacement of Glen Keane as director, I was kind of hoping that rapunzel would switch to traditional animation. :roll: Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if that solved some of the story problems the film has been having.
"In the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't. You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair... but that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 22nd, 2009, 6:01 pm

A switch in technique wouldn't fix any story problems (a story is a story is a story) but it might have an effect on how an audience responds.

That said, I wasn't advocating a switch back...I'm actually very interested to seeing the "hybrid" look that's finally been reached. I was just wondering if, with this news, there might have been a new emphasis on <I>maybe</I> looking at the hand-drawn options again.

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Disney Rapunzel

Post by Guybrush » March 7th, 2009, 11:01 pm

Guess I had to share this.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » March 7th, 2009, 11:19 pm

Where did the image come from?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 7th, 2009, 11:38 pm

Judging by the properties, Wikipedia. Looks fan made. Plus, I don't see it on the "Walt Disney Animation Studios" site or Wikipedia. :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » March 8th, 2009, 1:19 am

It looks almost like paper animation.

Anyways, source or it's not legit (which I'm not even humoring the idea of, anyways).
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 8th, 2009, 7:26 pm

The picture link seems to be broken, at least for me, and I think this would be better added to the Rapunzel thread.

Welcome to our boards! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » March 9th, 2009, 7:14 am

I can't see it :?.
Edit:You mean this?:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_rEC_TQRWixw/S ... apu+05.jpg
I don't know,it might be official,I like this desgin thought :D.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 9th, 2009, 2:33 pm

That's it!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » March 9th, 2009, 4:30 pm

She looks like in some concept art for the final version of the film.