The Goon

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Goon

Post by Wolf » March 14th, 2009, 3:26 pm

First screenshot image for the CG animated film The Goon, produced by David Fincher and Blur Studios. Its based on a Eric Powell’s comic series from Dark Horse. I never read the comic but I'm interested to see it because it has zombies.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40432

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 14th, 2009, 6:14 pm

I know <I>nothing</I> about this...but I love it! :)

My only concern is that it might look rubbery in actual animation, but the designs seem to be faithful to what I have seen of the comic style.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » March 15th, 2009, 11:49 am

I've never read the Goon comics, but I like the visuals there. I'll check it out (and probably read something of the book first).
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 17th, 2009, 7:58 am

VERY excited to see this! Goon is one of my favorite comics, glad to see this is getting made! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » March 18th, 2009, 12:29 pm

Well what a coincidence. I was just flipping through some Goon for the first time a week ago. This looks like something Fincher would really fit, what with his slick and shiny way of presenting gritty, physical tales.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: The Goon

Post by Wolf » July 20th, 2010, 10:04 am

First Teaser trailer for The Goon has turned up:

http://www.mtv.com/videos/movies/539249 ... iler.jhtml

The full preview will be shown at Comicon at the panel this week and then it will eventually end up online via MTV.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 20th, 2010, 3:31 pm

Darn it..."not available to the UK".

Guess they don't want fans to get excited about the movie here...watch it fail!!! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 20th, 2010, 3:55 pm

Never fear, Youtube is here!

...weird. And kind of creepy.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 20th, 2010, 5:26 pm

Love it, love it, love it!

Perfect fit, and the animation has a nice "retro" look, with lots of squash and stretch - and bounce! - if the shot at 0:16 is anything to go by! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 20th, 2010, 8:12 pm

Haven't read the comic, but this looks kinda neat.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » July 21st, 2010, 11:22 am

Is there such a thing as an instant cult classic? Cause I think that that's exactly what this movie is going to be. It looks amazing, but it might be too bizarre for its own good, box office wise. Then again, Coraline (and to a lesser extent 9) did respectably well, so who knows?
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 21st, 2010, 3:01 pm

Is there such a thing as an instant cult classic?
...No. :P
That's probably because, regardless of live-action or animated, humor cult-comics just DON'T do well in the mainstream--
Whether they're done badly (Howard the Duck), done well (Mystery Men), or even done earnestly on a low budget (Tank Girl), there's a slob-punk chic to the genre that just leaves most of the mainstream audience at the door. (Unlike the fairytale element of "Coraline" that told a straight, explainable A-B storyline once you bought into the setting and visual style.)
Probably the only cult comic that ever did catch on with an audience that doesn't read graphic novels at the back of the comics store was the cartoon Tick, which at least kept the writer involved, and stayed focused on its witty, literate style of parodying specific comic-geek genre references.
(And no, I never did see the Nelvana Saturday-morning version of "Sam & Max".)

Take a cult-favorite comic and throw it into the audience's faces unawares with good intentions, and you're likely either going to baffle them with over-quirkiness, drive them off with hellbent unsubtle humor, or just have to water the darn thing down just to play in Peoria. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » July 23rd, 2010, 11:21 am

Wow this is awesome, I was wondering when footage of the film would get around. Say when does it come out? I'm seeing this right away.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: The Goon

Post by Wolf » July 24th, 2010, 9:31 am

Extended version of the trailer with more footage:

http://www.mtv.com/videos/movie-trailer ... id=1644096

For those not from the US and your getting blocked from seeing it, here is an alternative link:

Click
Last edited by Daniel on July 24th, 2010, 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Second link was stretching the page!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by MrsTashlin » July 24th, 2010, 8:08 pm

I can't wait to see this, right up my alley! And i am not even a comic book reader.